Photo

Pau for Rondo, yes or no?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Pau for Rondo, yes or no? (85 member(s) have cast votes)

Pau for Rondo, yes or no?

1. yes (67 votes [78.82%])

Percentage of vote: 78.82%

2. no (18 votes [21.18%])

Percentage of vote: 21.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Listen2TheBeatt

Listen2TheBeatt

6th Man

• 692 posts
  • Name:Colin
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:00 AM

In addition, wouldn't Rondo's contract really be 20 million because of luxury tax if a trade like that was possible? (One of the reasons we didn't sign Beasley.)

Yea but Gasols contract is technically 36 million if you want to look at it like that
Videographer for LakerNation.com & STNTV
Follow me on Twitter @Listen2TheBeatt

#22 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,124 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yea but Gasols contract is technically 36 million if you want to look at it like that

I'm just saying in addition to Gasol because someone was saying we should keep Gasol AND Rondo. Which obviously it'd be a stacked team, just would be incredible expensive, lol.

Edited by JGuez, March 01, 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:07 AM

In addition, wouldn't Rondo's contract really be 20 million because of luxury tax if a trade like that was possible? (One of the reasons we didn't sign Beasley.)

Well, that's kind of a misconception people are getting when considering all of these trades.

Basically, when a team goes over the luxury tax threshold ($70.3 million, if I recall correctly), they pay a dollar for every dollar they go over (so, double).

It's not exactly the player's contract, but all of the contracts combined.

Right now, the Lakers are above $80 million in salary, don't remember the exact figure. Therefore, they are already paying luxury tax.

Now, trading Gasol means they are dealing around $18-19 million in total salary. They will need to get that back (near it, within 25%), and whether or not that increases or decreases the payroll will determine how much more (or less) we pay in luxury tax.

So...really, it's not like we're paying double for a certain player. What we lose in Gasol will be handed back to us in Rondo and either Jermaine O'Neal or Brandon Bass.

--------------

Beasley is different, in that when we traded Lamar Odom, we basically rid our payroll of his salary. The TPE can go unused and not count against our payroll.

However, if we use the TPE to get Beasley, we're basically adding Beas to the roster as a salary player...and that increases our total payroll, thus, increasing our luxury tax.

Not necessarily paying double for one player, or two players...but just paying penalties, double every dollar we go over $70.3 million.

#24 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,042 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:07 AM

Without question.

#25 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:58 AM

No.

Pau is worth more than an athletic point guard who can't shoot at all.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#26 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yes, only if we are getting a PF as well.

#27 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:11 AM

The Lakers haven't had a PG of Rondo's caliber since Magic played his last game in May 1996.

Acquiring Rondo would have an amazing impact on Kobe, as it would allow him to rest some on offense, and not handle the ball so much. Our turnovers would go down, and we might actually start generating some transition baskets again.

If Gasol/Odom for Paul was a "fair" trade, then Pau for Rondo seems about right.

Edited by UKUGA, March 01, 2012 - 01:54 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#28 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,055 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:19 AM

No.

Pau is worth more than an athletic point guard who can't shoot at all.

If the kid can't shoot why is he averaging triple doubles like crazy while shooting almost 50 percent from the floor. He may not have range like Nash but the kid is the best true PG in the league. That's not even mentioning the fact he has a ring and knows how to run a championship team in the playoffs. Having Rondo would boost Bynums stats so much it's alarming.

#29 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:20 AM

If Gasol/Odom for Paul was a "fair" trade, then Pau for Rondo seems about right.

good logic

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#30 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:25 AM

If the kid can't shoot why is he averaging triple doubles like crazy while shooting almost 50 percent from the floor. He may not have range like Nash but the kid is the best true PG in the league. That's not even mentioning the fact he has a ring and knows how to run a championship team in the playoffs. Having Rondo would boost Bynums stats so much it's alarming.

I'm gonna disagree with you slightly.

Rondo is shooting close to 50% but he doesn't take jump shots. As of right now, you leave him open for a mid-range, he's not going to make it. The thing about Rondo is that he gets to basket and finishes. In addition, he doesn't take stupid shots and makes the right play a majority of the time.

Outside of jump shooting and 3-pt shooting, this guy can ball.

#31 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm not concerned about his jumper. Again, Jason Kidd always had questions arise about his jumpshot, the same guy that led the Nets to the Finals for two consecutive seasons and is widely considered one of the greatest PG's of all-time.

We still have Chuck Person on our staff, by the way.

#32 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,106 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm not concerned about his jumper. Again, Jason Kidd always had questions arise about his jumpshot, the same guy that led the Nets to the Finals for two consecutive seasons and is widely considered one of the greatest PG's of all-time.

I agree! One thing people overlooked is that he is willing to improve (I hope so!) on his shooting. Yes, he will never be a shooting threat but as long he is willing to improve his shooting, I'm fine with that. Another thing, it's not like our own players are shooting well this season. So, there is really no risk on acquiring Rajon Rondo for Pau Gasol.

Also, the Celtics really want to trade Rondo. So, if I were the Lakers, I would take this chance immediately!

Edited by KarlCalaguas12, March 01, 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#33 Bracus

Bracus

Rookie

• 555 posts
  • Name:Rick
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:All of Em

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:51 AM

And somehow managed to be #3 on the all-time 3pt shooters list. Baffles me to this day. That guy rose up those charts with some serious stealth!
I heard Phil say ‘Don’t Shoot’ and I was like ‘Whatever’”!!!! - Ron

#34 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:08 AM

And somehow managed to be #3 on the all-time 3pt shooters list. Baffles me to this day. That guy rose up those charts with some serious stealth!

I was just gonna say the same thing. Peeps always said JKidd cant shoot a jumper but hes hit more threes than anybody in the NBA's 3 point era except for Reggie Miller and Ray Allen.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#35 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Another thing, it's not like our own players are shooting well this season.

This is actually a good point that dips into another reason why we should get Rondo.

Rondo's "lack of shooting" will be irrelevant once he gets every single shooter on this roster wide open...and not only that, but he will find them in rhythm for their shots.

Earlier, I talked about how Goudelock needed to step into his threes, or to shoot them off the dribble, instead of spotting up and waiting for Kobe or Drew to hit him.

Well, there's no better remedy than a PG that can pass the ball. We have shooters all over this squad...and few are hitting their shots. Rondo will make it even easier. Bynum doesn't require double teams, and Kobe doesn't get to the rim much. Just wait until Rondo beats his man off the dribble (like he does all the time) and collapses the opposing defense.

#36 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,275 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:20 AM

This is the best plan for the lakers before the trade deadline.
1. TPE for sessions
2. 1st rounder + player for Beasley
3. Other 1st rounder + barnes + Blake for OJ Mayo
OR
1. Get Rondo and Bass for Pau
2. Get Beasley
3. Make kopono second string because with rondo he will turn into a cheaper version of Ray Allen
4. And for god sake get rid of Walton the guy needs to go and needs retire and be a gym teacher
Please reply I'd like to here what you guys think

Edited by MrKnowItAll, March 01, 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#37 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,055 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:21 AM

This is actually a good point that dips into another reason why we should get Rondo.

Rondo's "lack of shooting" will be irrelevant once he gets every single shooter on this roster wide open...and not only that, but he will find them in rhythm for their shots.

Earlier, I talked about how Goudelock needed to step into his threes, or to shoot them off the dribble, instead of spotting up and waiting for Kobe or Drew to hit him.

Well, there's no better remedy than a PG that can pass the ball. We have shooters all over this squad...and few are hitting their shots. Rondo will make it even easier. Bynum
doesn't require double teams, and Kobe doesn't get to the
rim much. Just wait until Rondo beats his man off the dribble (like he does all the time) and collapses the opposing defense.

My point exactly. Rondo can improve his shooting. You can't teach court vision. That kid has amazing court vision. Another thing people underestimate about rondo is his defense. Rondo plays excellent defense too. Mitch needs to be on the phone with Boston telling ainge he can have whatever combination he wants other than Bynum And Kobe. Rondo and Bass would make this team way better than people think. Bass offensive skills are underrated his post defense is what we would ove about having him.

Edited by JayTheGreat, March 01, 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#38 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:22 AM

:facepalm: at the "no" votes

Pau Gasol is GONE

#39 Indiana Dennis

Indiana Dennis

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:1977
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman, Kobe Bryant

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:33 AM

http://games.espn.go...tradeId=73klw69

This would work.
Lakers gets:
Rondo: (One of the best PG in the NBA)
O'Neal: (Boston can dump his salary on us)
Johnson: (A really good young player. I live in the same town as Purdue "I AM A BIG MICHIGAN FAN"where he played at. He can be our LO and plays great D. He is a really good guy to have in the locker room. I have talked to him a few time.)

Boston gets:
Pau (Someone they really want)

What do you guys think?

Edited by Indiana Dennis, March 01, 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#40 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,880 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:39 AM

straight up?

no...

we would need to replace Pau production and I don't see Rondo, HIMSELF, providing that...

Trading Pau, in my opinion, is not the answer for this team.
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users