Photo

Clippers Management tells Clipper Darrell that he cannot be Clipper Darrell anymore

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 29, 2012 - 01:29 PM

How bizarre :censored:

It is with great sadness that I must report to all those in NBA NATION that I have been told by Clipper management they no longer want me to be Clipper Darrell, a name that was given to me by the media because of my unwavering support and team spirit. I am devastated!!!!
I have been a season ticket holder for over a decade and a FAN for over 15 years and have dedicated a major part of my life to support the Clipper organization and it’s players no matter what the season’s outcome.

Over the years (400 home games) I have gone to great lengths to show my appreciation and loyalty in my attire, the car I drive and in my very own home. I’ve taken seriously the mantra of being “Clipper Darrell” in performing community service, mentoring young children and my participation in outreach programs. I’ve appreciated the struggles of the team to overcome obstacles as I’ve done in my life. I felt vindicated for all the years we as Clipper fans have gone through trials and tribulations and NOW we have a team that can win it all.

Yesterday was the hardest day of my life, I felt powerless as a fan, as I was stripped of my identity however, no one can take away my heart and the love I have for my team!

http://clipperdarrell.com/2012/02/29/i-am-devastated/

It is with great sadness 2 say this that I have been told by @LAClippers front office that they no longer want me 2 b Clipper Darrell

https://twitter.com/#!/clipperdarrell

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,358 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted February 29, 2012 - 01:32 PM

sucks bro!

#3 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 29, 2012 - 01:37 PM

How can they control what he does? I don't understand...

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 01:40 PM

How can they control what he does? I don't understand...

He didn't give more information but I am guessing that he cannot use the nickname anymore. Stupid Clippers management. A little success and now they think they are powerful enough to do crap like this. Just like a few years ago when they had some success and they were crying about Staples Center and how they should change some of the seats to red because "it wasn't a Lakers arena anymore".

#5 ggim125

ggim125

Off The Bench

• 1,703 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Black Mamba...attack, conquer

Posted February 29, 2012 - 01:50 PM

He can't use the nickname because it has Clipper in it or is it just a case that he's not formally working for the organization? Either way, what a way to treat your biggest fan.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

Kundla, Pollard, Mikkelsen, Martin, Lovellette, Mikan
Chick, Baylor, West, Wilt, Goodrich, Wilkes, Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Shaq, Kobe, Pau

#6 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,056 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thought they'd at least be happy that they have a real big fan...

#7 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 02:10 PM

that sucks

The North Remembers

#8 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted February 29, 2012 - 02:12 PM

Although I think the guy is a nutcase that's awfully pathetic of the Clippers to do.

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 03:53 PM

They issue a very scathing statement...

“The Clippers have done absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate as it concerns Darrell Bailey. His claims are absurd and unfounded. He has never been an employee or representative of the Clippers organization, and therefore cannot be terminated. The Clippers have never engaged Mr. Bailey’s services. When he has been in need, the organization has regularly provided him a seat for games. No good deed goes unpunished.

We have had multiple conversations with him concerning his inappropriate use of the Clippers’ team name and trademark for his own unmonitored commercial gain. We have spoken to him repeatedly about his desire to make public appearances in ways which improperly suggest that he is officially affiliated with our organization. In all cases and over a long period of time, he has consistently rejected our efforts to operate in consultation.

In a conversation with an authoritative and tenured Clippers’ executive last week, he was asked again to either consult with the team on all public appearances and/or commercial ventures, or stop undertaking those opportunities representing himself inappropriately. His response was an offer to stop representing himself commercially in that way and his offer was accepted in principle.

The next thing we heard was the baseless claims he has made today and the ensuing media rush to judgment.
We hold all of our fans in the highest esteem and we have been patient and generous with Mr. Bailey. He has not returned our support in an honorable way. He is not actually a fan of the Clippers, but a fan of what he can make off of the Clippers. We are no longer interested in that kind of association with him,
and that is why we accepted his offer to remove our team name from his stage name.”

Edited by MDI, February 29, 2012 - 03:54 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,537 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 03:59 PM

make off of the clippers? there was NOTHING to make off of them for the past God knows how many years lol...except maybe a fool of yourself

bw1wOGf.png

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Wow...

"He is not actually a fan of the Clippers, but a fan of what he can make off of the Clippers."

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Unbelievable that the Clippers think they are that relevant. Making money off the Clippers for 15 years? Yeah ok, he could have chose the Lakers to make money off of if that was his intention..... Idiots

#13 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,749 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Clippers keepin it classy

Edited by androsays, February 29, 2012 - 06:06 PM.

2div

#14 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Great job Clipper organization ..... where's our local Clipper fan to tell us about his teams organization???
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#15 iTSPHiL

iTSPHiL

Clippers Season Ticket Holder

• 580 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Magic

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:08 PM

i like the clippers as in the team of basketball players. not the front office.

#16 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,537 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:31 PM

^i think most clipper fans feel that way...especially on this issue..i mean even if it wasn't someone as major as clipper darrell..thats so random and lame

bw1wOGf.png

#17 HEY ITS JOEY

HEY ITS JOEY

my f-stop

• 1,884 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted March 04, 2012 - 03:57 PM

dang i feel bad for clipper daryl..
it was awkward seeing him break down on live tv but no one can deny he's a true clippers fan

#18 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 778 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 03:58 PM

he got emotional today on sportszone telling his side. Damn, he got his car painted with clippers colorway and logo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users