15 replies to this topic

#1 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted October 14, 2008 - 02:14 PM

Kobe Bryant will never quiet his critics, and it has nothing to do with his personality, his jersey or his legal history. Kobe's divisiveness can be traced to the most basic quark of sport, the certain theme in one's observation of any game with sides and a scoreboard: the battle between team and individual.

Those who flash cudgels at Kobe think he is selfish, conceited, unsavory, a detriment to the perfect balance in panoramic basketball. If you love Kobe, you consider him a hoops God on Earth, a man who could easily wedge into idealistic basketball if his game wasn't so damn flawless on its own. Kobe ignores friends, or Kobe has no need for friends. Kobe is a hog, or Kobe is realistic about his skills. Kobe is overrated, or Kobe is the G.O.A.T.

Can there ever be a bridge?
(No, probably not: Kobe haters will not listen to reason, and Kobe worshipers will not listen to reason. The devoted in this matter -- the matter of Kobe Bryant, basketball player -- will never read a word of this with an open mind. As a basketball writer on the web, I have firsthand knowledge of this phenomenon: you cannot write a post [positive, negative or ambivalent] about Kobe without igniting a maelstrom of hate in both directions. My fellow bloggers can attest to this. It happens on every site, on every post, every single time.

Those of us with a nuanced philosophy on Kobe will sometimes write about him, and I have no doubt a few people [including other writers] will rationally digest any given Kobe post. But that is a tiny, tiny droplet, a medicine cap full of reasoned absorption amid a vast ocean of erratic, irresponsible passion. Ninety percent of the words spent on Kobe Bryant on the web are stupid, inflammatory and completely useless. I understand that, I await my punishment in the comments here and on various other message boards or blog threads. I have a bottle of sleeping pills and a Coke. I'm ready. Really.)

One of the greatest crimes against Kobe's legacy is that his otherworldly scoring ability isn't sufficiently credited. Eighty-one points gets headlines, and a streak of 40-point nights the same. But for reasons unknown, Kobe's singular ability to explode for massive scoring games carries a heavy discount in our consciousness. We credit Kobe for his all-around game, or his steady consistency, or his heart, or his passion, or his clutch ability, or his touch from unfathomable ranges. But no one ever makes the case for Kobe as simply the most fantastic scorer of our time. It's really that simple.

http://nba.fanhouse....be-bryant-no-3/

#3? Behind Chris Paul & LeBron James? I don't think so. But to each his own.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#2 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted October 14, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Well, it is what it is. :whistle:

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#3 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 14, 2008 - 02:43 PM

Having YAO at number 10 says it all.
Posted Image

#4 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 14, 2008 - 05:22 PM

hahaha it's cool, just let the winning talk, that's all
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#5 JudasNotPay024

JudasNotPay024

Rookie

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 14, 2008 - 10:30 PM

Kobe has a polarizing personality. He is loved as much as he is hated by fans. I think his legacy tends to be questioned by ignorant haters. But then again, some of his hardcore fans tend to put him at an unfair situation by comparing him to MJ. Living up to the MJ comparison is very difficult for players today, no matter how good they are.

I think the haters should stop downplaying what he has achieved since he has a lot of years left before he retires. The same thing goes for his fans.

I do believe, before it is said and done, that Kobe will deserved to be compared to the great legends of the NBA. The guy always comes in shape. He is a very smart basketball player who relies on technique besides his athletic ability. I really believe he has good 8 years left in him.

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted October 14, 2008 - 11:20 PM

OTR is doing a top 50 that will be posted everywhere before the season begins, and it will include our new player profiles. The guy who wrote this messed up that entire list. My writers/analysts have our own 50 that is much better than this.

#7 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 15, 2008 - 01:48 AM

OTR is doing a top 50 that will be posted everywhere before the season begins, and it will include our new player profiles. The guy who wrote this messed up that entire list. My writers/analysts have our own 50 that is much better than this.

Looking forward to that instead of other BS. <_<

#8 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts

Posted October 15, 2008 - 02:01 AM

Looking forward to that instead of other BS. <_<

I agree.
Posted Image

#9 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted October 15, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Having YAO at number 10 says it all.

Yao isn't a top 10 player? LOL
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#10 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts

Posted October 15, 2008 - 10:14 AM

Yao isn't a top 10 player? LOL

Isn't it funny that I thought you wouldn't like that...

No, and you can :lol: all you want.

Edited by netlord, October 15, 2008 - 10:15 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe/magic/Kareem

Posted October 16, 2008 - 05:49 PM

Lamar was better than a few guys on that list, honestly. Kobe's legacy is secure enough.

#12 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted October 16, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Isn't it funny that I thought you wouldn't like that...

No, and you can :lol: all you want.

Pretty much proves the credibility of your opinion.

#13 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts

Posted October 17, 2008 - 01:23 AM

Pretty much proves the credibility of your opinion.

Just because people don't think what you think doesn't mean they are wrong. And you cannot give nor take credibility from a person. Then I could say that if you are asian, or of asian descent you wouldn't have any credibility when saying Yao is a top 10 player in the NBA.

Edited by netlord, October 17, 2008 - 01:31 AM.

Posted Image

#14 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted October 17, 2008 - 07:07 AM

Just because people don't think what you think doesn't mean they are wrong. And you cannot give nor take credibility from a person. Then I could say that if you are asian, or of asian descent you wouldn't have any credibility when saying Yao is a top 10 player in the NBA.

Except that just about EVERYBODY's list has him at top 10 or top 15. Only YOU don't have him. So there is something wrong with YOUR list, and it has nothing to do with my bias.

So it is you who loses credibility due to the fact that your opinion deviates from every expert opinion. Therefore, your post is irrelevant.

#15 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts

Posted October 17, 2008 - 07:20 AM

Except that just about EVERYBODY's list has him at top 10 or top 15. Only YOU don't have him. So there is something wrong with YOUR list, and it has nothing to do with my bias.

So it is you who loses credibility due to the fact that your opinion deviates from every expert opinion. Therefore, your post is irrelevant.

Yeah, riiiight. you are the only one that points me out, and says I have no credibility, It seems you don't have respect for others opinion, or at least for mine. I said he wasn't a top 10, probably top 15 or lower.

You are no one to tell me if my posts are irrelevant, If you don't like it, don't read it, just as I do with your political posts, and I am going to do so with the rest of your posts If you continue talking as if you knew everything.

Edited by netlord, October 17, 2008 - 07:21 AM.

Posted Image

#16 R0S4l3S<3

R0S4l3S<3

DSG FO LYFE!

• 2,147 posts
  • Name:Ashley
  • Fan Since:born laker fan!!!
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE all da way

Posted October 18, 2008 - 10:32 AM

ahh. kobe should be #1!!!!
Posted Image
"JUST SAY SHOOT" KOBE GOES IT ALL THE WAY"