26 replies to this topic

#1 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:01 PM

Didn't he say he would have a big trade for the lakers for this season after the cp3 trade got nixed? But still no trades

And I feel that Andrew lack of hustle makes the lakers offense stagnant and has a lot of people standing around

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:04 PM

Drew doesn't lack hustle, he just doesn't create out of the post, which is the primary focus of the offense we have decided to run. That's why we didn't hit any threes tonight (0-11) and why Drew went 2-9 in the second half, once Portland decided to double him.

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,831 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Drew isn't in playing form yet. He gets tired, which is why he was 2-9.

#4 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:24 PM

Drew isn't in playing form yet. He gets tired, which is why he was 2-9.

I think the 2-9 has more to do with the doubles and triple team he saw in the 2nd half.

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,831 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:33 PM

Perhaps a bit of both. He was damn near walking up the court. But obviously 3-teams doesnt help on the FG%.
Awesome that he can draw a 3-team - now he just need to be better at passing out of it...

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Oh, he was tired as well. That's kind of what happens when you start taking 15+ shots a night. Gasol gets that way every year, and he averages around 12-14 a night, and usually never faces double teams (nor is he a true center, battling under the rim, and asked to be a defensive anchor).

There's your difference between Dwight and Drew.

#7 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,088 posts
  • Name:Karl

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:45 PM

The problem I have with Drew is that he takes so long to score. Sometimes, he waits for the double team to happen. He either needs to score quickly or pass it outside. He needs to establish a quick post move once he gets under the basket.

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:50 PM

The problem I have with Drew is that he takes so long to score. Sometimes, he waits for the double team to happen. He either needs to score quickly or pass it outside. He needs to establish a quick post move once he gets under the basket.

Well, he's being directed (by Brown, and Kuester) to wait for the double, then kick it out.

But I'm assuming Drew is coming over to the bench and telling them he's not seeing anyone open, which is showing his lack of court vision and ability to run an offense from the low post.

Very few centers can do it. Shaq and Divac were great at it, although Divac could never draw as much defensive attention as O'Neal (aside from Kobe, Wilt and MJ, nobody did). Yao was doubled quite a bit, and he could find Battier and Ron on the outside, even guys cutting to the rim (when Francis was in Houston). Howard gets so much defensive attention, he turns the ball over...and most of that is due to just how many people are watching him down low (3-4 guys at once, two forced doubles and two "ball-hawking" and awaiting the pass back out).

Something will need to change. This team can't mock the Kobe/Shaq days. Bryant isn't in his ultimate prime, and Drew is nowhere near Shaq.

#9 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,088 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:52 PM

Well, he's being directed (by Brown, and Kuester) to wait for the double, then kick it out.

But I'm assuming Drew is coming over to the bench and telling them he's not seeing anyone open, which is showing his lack of court vision and ability to run an offense from the low post.

Very few centers can do it. Shaq and Divac were great at it, although Divac could never draw as much defensive attention as O'Neal (aside from Kobe, Wilt and MJ, nobody did). Yao was doubled quite a bit, and he could find Battier and Ron on the outside, even guys cutting to the rim (when Francis was in Houston). Howard gets so much defensive attention, he turns the ball over...and most of that is due to just how many people are watching him down low (3-4 guys at once, two forced doubles and two "ball-hawking" and awaiting the pass back out).

Something will need to change. This team can't mock the Kobe/Shaq days. Bryant isn't in his ultimate prime, and Drew is nowhere near Shaq.

I agree. What changes do you think they need to do with Bynum or possibly Howard?

#10 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:53 PM

Oh, he was tired as well. That's kind of what happens when you start taking 15+ shots a night. Gasol gets that way every year, and he averages around 12-14 a night, and usually never faces double teams (nor is he a true center, battling under the rim, and asked to be a defensive anchor).

There's your difference between Dwight and Drew.

And yet Dwright will end up in New Jeresy because Orlando hates us, and woul rather help the Nets than us.

#11 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:55 PM

And yet Dwright will end up in New Jeresy because Orlando hates us, and woul rather help the Nets than us.

:laughing:

You do realize Lopez is out to March? No way he ends up in NJ.
htCCl0m.png

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 12:01 AM

I agree. What changes do you think they need to do with Bynum or possibly Howard?

The funny thing is, this would work to perfection if Drew knew how to work the post. Robinson (like Drew) and Duncan (like Gasol) were the two in San Antonio, the twin towers, who could play low or high post, anywhere within 18 feet of the rim. That's what you SHOULD be getting from Bynum and Gasol, and that's exactly why Brown went with this offense.

Instead of having someone like Derek Anderson, you have Bryant...which is an even bigger incentive to do this, because not only will Bryant draw players away from the post, he'll create for them once the ball comes back out (if it goes back to him, of course, as Kenny and Shaq were talking about).

The triangle works best with this team, but there's no way Mike Brown and his assistants go back to that. They have no idea how to coach a single principle of the offense.

-------------

I would break this offense down into two parts. Play a two-man game with Kobe and Gasol, pick and roll, and have Bynum taking the low post on the other side of the court. Have Kobe come off screens, kick it out to a wing, and have that wing throw the post entry pass to Drew, who will NOT wait for a double.

That presents many options. Kobe can do that (and the shooter can take the shot OR hit Drew), or Kobe can take the shot himself, or he can hit Gasol rolling OR setting for a 15-footer.

It's a similar offense, with triangle properties. Will that happen? Probably not.

#13 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 12:04 AM

You do realize Lopez is out to March? No way he ends up in NJ.

So I don't think Orlando will care. Also you know Orlando's demands have not change because they still want Gasol, and Bynum and mak us take on Turk's contract, and if another team gets invloved like Dallas, and rumorly Golden State might get involved so the price might just went up.

#14 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,088 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 12:04 AM

The funny thing is, this would work to perfection if Drew knew how to work the post. Robinson (like Drew) and Duncan (like Gasol) were the two in San Antonio, the twin towers, who could play low or high post, anywhere within 18 feet of the rim. That's what you SHOULD be getting from Bynum and Gasol, and that's exactly why Brown went with this offense.

Instead of having someone like Derek Anderson, you have Bryant...which is an even bigger incentive to do this, because not only will Bryant draw players away from the post, he'll create for them once the ball comes back out (if it goes back to him, of course, as Kenny and Shaq were talking about).

The triangle works best with this team, but there's no way Mike Brown and his assistants go back to that. They have no idea how to coach a single principle of the offense.

-------------

I would break this offense down into two parts. Play a two-man game with Kobe and Gasol, pick and roll, and have Bynum taking the low post on the other side of the court. Have Kobe come off screens, kick it out to a wing, and have that wing throw the post entry pass to Drew, who will NOT wait for a double.

That presents many options. Kobe can do that (and the shooter can take the shot OR hit Drew), or Kobe can take the shot himself, or he can hit Gasol rolling OR setting for a 15-footer.

It's a similar offense, with triangle properties. Will that happen? Probably not.

Very good points my friend :blush: I agree that this coaching stuff doesn't know how use these guys on the offensive side of the ball. Seriously, this team is still averaging 15-17 turnovers with eight games already in.

Edited by KarlCalaguas12, January 06, 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#15 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,740 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 06, 2012 - 04:11 AM

Drew doesn't lack hustle, he just doesn't create out of the post, which is the primary focus of the offense we have decided to run. That's why we didn't hit any threes tonight (0-11) and why Drew went 2-9 in the second half, once Portland decided to double him.

I agree. Drew needs to understand how this 'inside-outside' system works and that he needs to distribute when the defense collapses on him. It's hard to establish an offense around him when he refuses to pass.

#16 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,889 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 06, 2012 - 05:07 AM

I dont blame him for not kicking it out. Other than kobe no one can shoot a damn that game. Stop blaming bynum and demanding he be traded for howard. He looks pretty good from what I see. If you want to blame anyone blame pau. Hes the one we need to trade and try to get a good pg.

#17 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted January 06, 2012 - 05:57 AM

I dont blame him for not kicking it out. Other than kobe no one can shoot a damn that game. Stop blaming bynum and demanding he be traded for howard. He looks pretty good from what I see. If you want to blame anyone blame pau. Hes the one we need to trade and try to get a good pg.

Yea he's been playing well but his inability to pass out of the post is gonna become a big issue at some point if he doesn't correct it soon imo.

#18 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,020 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born

Posted January 06, 2012 - 07:59 AM

Any chance we will see this again?

Either way that is the next step in bynum's game. If he is going to be a focal point in the offense he has to get us 3 or 4 assists a game. We have shooters in Kapono, Blake, Murphy etc.

#19 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Demarcus Cousins for Andrew Bynum?

#20 viision11

viision11

Off The Bench

• 1,604 posts