108 replies to this topic

#81 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted September 30, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Dont really need to jailbreak when AT&T will unlock it for you. Got my
iPhone 4 unlocked from AT&T. Gsve it to my friend whose on tmobile.

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock.

To complete the unlock, simply:

Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.
After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Edited by vong, September 30, 2012 - 06:40 PM.

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#82 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 30, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Dont really need to jailbreak when AT&T will unlock it for you.

Are they unlocking the 5 already? I thought it was gonna be a 30 day wait?

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#83 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Are they unlocking the 5 already? I thought it was gonna be a 30 day wait?

Not sure about that. I don't think so since the requirements is your phone off contract. Although I read that verzion iPhone comes unlocked already. So you can use it on AT&T and such. But not sure if calling and data at the same time would work.

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#84 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 30, 2012 - 06:44 PM

now, unlocking and jailbreaking...are those two different terms with the same meaning?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#85 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:00 PM

so what phone will be better?

HTC One X

iPhone 5

Samsung Galaxy Note II

Well, from personal experience, having spent time using an iPhone, the One X and the original Galaxy Note, the best phone out of the 3 is hands down the Note. The Note II is going to be a freaking B E A S T. That quad core processor, 2 GB of ram?! And personally, the size of the phone is perfect. The Note II has a 5.5 screen but its a lil bit more narrow than the first phone. If you want a huge screen, get the Note II for sure (and its going to be on every carrier if that matters). And you could also check out the Samsung Galaxy S3 if you want a phone thats not huge. The One X is a great phone but with no removable battery, no expandable memory, I'd say the Note II dominates the 3 phones.

Imo, HTC One X.

HTC One X has a bigger screen than the iPhone, it has a better front camera, same back camera, has better bluetooth (aptX), same wifi, NFC (which iPhone does not have), offers better battery life than iPhone and cheaper to get an extended battery, cheaper than the iPhone5, opensource, less restrictions than iOS.

Edit: Almost forgot, the processor in the HTC One X is a speed demon. nVidia Tegra technology supersedes Apple's A6 processors in the iPhones.

They have the same amount of disk space, except for Apple's most expensive iPhone model (64gb).

The only thing iPhone has over the HTC One X is a different GPS technology, which is GLONASS, whereas HTC One X uses aGPS (and in Apple's most expensive iPhone model, disk space).

The technical facts say the HTC One X is better. It just may be a user preference to get the iPhone over the HTC One X.
And from my experience, even the HTC Evo is better than the newest iPhone.

Yeah I get what you mean but Sense is just a memory hog, I'm a big HTC fan but I'm about to give up on them. They just cant get it down. If you ever used a S3, its buttery smooth. Also, they crippled the multi-tasking on it too, which is a big shame. Of course you can root it and fix it but I doubt Windu is going to know how to nor should he have to.

now, unlocking and jailbreaking...are those two different terms with the same meaning?

Unlocking means you could use the phone overseas or on another network. Like for example, if you unlock your iphone on AT&T, you could use it on the T-Mobile network. Jailbreaking means you're making the operating system more open, you can do a lot more stuff with your phone, customize it, and get some new apps.
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#86 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Nah sound on jb is great, sense with beats is just a system wide equalizer which you can do yourself with JB.

In fact I'm running a mod that that blows beats out of the water.

Well the sound chip on the AT&T variant is better than the international version (but not by a lot). I'm using this sound mod which enhances the beats on Sense which is why I have to stay on a Sense rom to fully get the full effects of the mod:
http://forums.team-nocturnal.com/showthread.php/1028-SOUNDMOD-09-23-OneX-OneXL-v20-One-eXtreme-Sound-Enhancer

What mod are you using?

Lala, I'm sure there is an app to install Beats on certain phones.

meh Beats is just a gimmick, Beats on other phones don't sound all that well. I have my own reasons like I said above for using it.
Posted Image

#87 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:08 PM

so I could still get the simultaneous voice/data iPhone 5 from AT&T but have T-Mobile "unlock" it so I can use my service with them?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#88 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Jail break is basically "hacking" your phone while unlock means unlocking the phone so it can be on other carriers/international. Sprint and verzion uses CDMA while AT&T and tmobile uses gsm.

Tmobile cannot unlock the iPhone since its locked in with AT&T.

Edited by vong, September 30, 2012 - 07:17 PM.

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#89 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Jail break is basically "hacking" your phone while unlock means unlocking the phone so it can be on other carriers/international. Sprint and verzion uses CDMA while AT&T and tmobile uses gsm.

yeah basically this.
Posted Image

#90 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:22 PM

so who can unlock it?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#91 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Jail breaking is really gaining super root access. Like being the administrator on an windows pc allowing you to install and mod anything.

Unlock just allows you to use your phone on another network.

You can do both yourself. But like Vong said you can buy factory unlocked devices which require no root access since they are unlocked.

Or like he said AT&T will unlock a off contract phone for you depending on if you meet their requirements for it. Which also wouldn't require root access

21lsbya.jpg

#92 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:37 PM

ok, so I can buy the phone from anywhere and then take it to AT&T so they can unlock it but do I tell them what carrier I want it to be unlocked for?

Edited by Windu, September 30, 2012 - 07:37 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#93 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:47 PM

ok, so I can buy the phone from anywhere and then take it to AT&T so they can unlock it but do I tell them what carrier I want it to be unlocked for?

I cannot gaurentee that if you buy the iPhone from AT&T/verzion that you can use it on both networks.

Here is AT&T unlock requirement:
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=TON9EA4slFW

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#94 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:52 PM

what if I just go to tmobile?

will this problem be solved?

Sprint and Verizon models can't use voice and data simultaneously.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#95 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I cannot gaurentee that if you buy the iPhone from AT&T/verzion that you can use it on both networks.

Here is AT&T unlock requirement:
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=TON9EA4slFW

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
The person requesting the unlock is:
A current AT&T customer, or
A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
The iPhone was designed for use on the AT&T network.

All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.
The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

I think I may be even more confused now lol

Edited by Windu, September 30, 2012 - 07:55 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#96 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:10 AM

I think I may be even more confused now lol

Basically there is no guarantee they would unlock it. You'd have to actually be a current AT&T customer or a past one that still remembers their account/phone number. You'd have to not be in debt to AT&T even if you are a past customer. You'd also have to of bought a AT&T iPhone and if you buy a used one it cannot be a lost/stolen phone.

Honestly I don't think it's worth it. You'd have to guarantee a used one isn't really just a lost or stolen phone. A new iPhone off contract costs more than some laptops as well. Who are you trying to go with? Tmobile?

I think you're focusing too much on a iPhone, take it from someone that has used Windows 6.5, webOS, Android, iOS & WIndows Phone 7.5 they are all with their pro's and cons. Never just go off of someone else's advice because they will always suggest what they have and are comfortable with.

Go to a store that has a variety of phones and play around with them to get a feel for them. Also, if you do get a phone on contract all carriers have some time of return policy in the first 14-30 days where you can return the phone and cancel the contract with no consiquences other than paying for what you used.

21lsbya.jpg

#97 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:32 AM

my main thing is that I don't want AT&T but I would like the simultaneous phone/data

Pau Gasol is GONE

#98 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 06:09 AM

my main thing is that I don't want AT&T but I would like the simultaneous phone/data

AT&T is fine really for me anyways. I have a employee discount through my employer but even without the discount my 4 phones would be about 195 a month. That's 3 smartphones with 3GB of data each, one dumbphone with no data, unlimited text and a decent monthly minute allowance.

Verizon has the best coverage but they are the most expensive.

AT&T has great coverage that's just a little behind Verizon but catching up and is less expensive.

Sprint has less coverage than both but has true unlimited data although their LTE is way behind the above two.

T-Mobile has the cheapest plans but not always the nicest phone and less coverage. They do require you to extend your contract everytime you make a change to your plan which I thought was crap. Also they don't use the same LTE 4G that the other 3 carriers use.

Cricket is unlimited everything at a low price and have nice phones now but coverage piggy backs off of Sprint so it's not the best.

Prepaid like Virgin, Boost, Net10, etc have 4G now and some allow you to bring any phone that can take a SIM Card for a low price and great plans, but like Cricket piggy back off of other networks that don't always give them access to their full coverage.

Also for Prepaid and Cricket you have to buy a phone full price since you are not entering a contract.

Honestly if I could do it all over again I'd have stayed with Sprint because of true unlimited everything. I don't really care for LTE honestly since my home has 30Mbps internet and my work offers free WiFi.

Edited by Draztik, October 01, 2012 - 01:27 PM.

21lsbya.jpg

#99 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:31 AM

So... Chicano, what phone did you decide to get?

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

• 40,604 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 02:03 PM

^ Ehh... I don't remember if I had mentioned it already, but although I'm passionately into technology, when it comes to cellphones, not so much. I just don't have much use for them. I don't go out all that much. I mostly work, come home and rest for the most part so I use the internet and things like that mainly at home most of the time. Therefore, I really have no need for data plans or smartphones, any of that. I just keep it simple with voice and text, tis all for the most part, but to answer your question specifically on what phone I got, as I mentioned, considering my factors, I just got a basic LG Octane. Good for texting and calling, all I need it for really.

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users