#62 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:43 PM

My decision becomes a little easier now that I know the HTC One X is an AT&T exclusive
Pau Gasol is TRASH

• 38,907 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:46 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-note-carbon/4505-6452_7-35117983.html

The good:
The Samsung Galaxy Note's 5.3-inch HD screen is ideal for showcasing multimedia. It has 4G LTE, a great 8-megapixel camera, and a souped-up S Pen stylus that brings new ways to interact with your phone. The bad: The Galaxy Note's S Pen is small, has a delayed response, and requires a little training to use. The phone will be awkwardly large for some, and it doesn't fit easily into pockets.

The bottom line: With its huge screen and throwback stylus, the Samsung Galaxy Note is a polarizing smartphone that winks at tablet territory. Those who like their screens XL will find a top-notch device that lets multimedia shine. The S Pen adds some artistic potential, but for some, the phone will just simply be too big.

http://www.cnet.com/iphone-5/ The good: The iPhone 5 adds everything we wanted in the iPhone 4S: 4G LTE, a longer, larger screen, free turn-by-turn navigation, and a faster A6 processor. Plus, its top-to-bottom redesign is sharp, slim, and feather-light.

The bad: Apple Maps feels unfinished and buggy; Sprint and Verizon models can't use voice and data simultaneously. The smaller connector renders current accessories unusable without an adapter. There's no NFC, and the screen size pales in comparison to jumbo Android models.

The bottom line: The iPhone 5 completely rebuilds the iPhone on a framework of new features and design, addressing its major previous shortcomings. It's absolutely the best iPhone to date, and it easily secures its place in the top tier of the smartphone universe.

yo.

#64 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Sprint and Verizon models can't use voice and data simultaneously.

Why do they make [expletive] so complicated. All this carrier exclusive bull[expletive]
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#65 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,633 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:10 PM

I thought you don't care for fancy phones Windu
Posted Image

#66 David

David

Superstar

• 7,958 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Why do they make [expletive] so complicated. All this carrier exclusive bull[expletive]

Its not exclusive. Its just that the system Verizon uses doesn't make it compatible for a user to talk and browse at the same time like at&t does.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#67 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:17 PM

I thought you don't care for fancy phones Windu

i really don't but the tech has become more interesting to me over time
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#68 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Its not exclusive. Its just that the system Verizon uses doesn't make it compatible for a user to talk and browse at the same time like at&t does.

yeh I read that Verizon and Sprint won't support the feature.

with all the [expletive] that these devices can do nowadays, you'd think having simultaneous calls/data would be standard
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#69 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:21 PM

A lot has changed in Apple’s new iPhone. But with the Verizon Wireless and Sprint versions of the iPhone 5, there’s something that will remain the same from the old model: The phone still won’t be able to place a call and handle data activity over the cellular network at the same time.

Older Verizon and Sprint smartphones on 3G networks were not able to handle simultaneous calls and data because of a limitation in CDMA, the 3G technology that those networks use. But now some Verizon 4G LTE smartphones will let you stay on a phone call while looking up something in an app or checking e-mail. So why not the iPhone 5?

Brenda Raney, a Verizon Wireless spokeswoman, said it was Apple’s decision to design the iPhone 5 so that customers could make voice calls and do Internet activity simultaneously only over Wi-Fi, not over Verizon’s cell network. “The iPhone 5 is designed to allow customers to make voice calls on the Verizon Wireless network and surf the Web on Wi-Fi,” she said in an e-mail. “It was an Apple decision.”

The explanation for this, it turns out, is complicated. The technology in 4G LTE networks does not currently handle voice transmissions; it only does data. So when you place a phone call on a 4G LTE smartphone, it’s actually rolling back to the carrier’s older second- or third-generation network, according to AnandTech, a Web publication that does deep analysis on hardware.

That means when AT&T customers place a phone call and use data on the iPhone 5, both functions will roll back to AT&T’s older network, which can handle them simultaneously. When you place a phone call while using data in an app with a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 5, it will roll back to their older CDMA networks, which are not capable of simultaneously doing calls and data. And that’s why the iPhone 5 on Verizon and Sprint, despite being a 4G LTE device, will still not do both at the same time.

An Apple spokeswoman, Natalie Kerris, put it this way: “iPhone 5 supports simultaneous voice and data on GSM-based 3G and LTE networks. It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design.”

So why does Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III, a 4G LTE phone, juggle calls and data? Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech.

Then why didn’t Apple add another antenna? Its phone already has two antennas in an effort to improve reception, and it would have had to add a third antenna just for Verizon and Sprint phones to give them simultaneous data and calls, Mr. Shimpi explained. Leaving that third antenna out allows Apple to simplify the process of manufacturing the iPhone for multiple carriers. Plus, in the next two years, 4G LTE technology is supposed to evolve to support voice calls, which would render another antenna unnecessary.

Whew! Despite that explanation, the ability to do calls and data at the same time was one of the major things that AT&T’s iPhone customers had that Verizon’s and Sprint’s didn’t. And for now, that story remains the same with the iPhone 5 — which may be a consideration for customers considering a new phone on those networks.

Pau Gasol is TRASH

• 38,907 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:22 PM

I understand your frustration Windu. I've seen it too often with other tech devices and companies as well being too stingy about offering or having what would appear to be standard or simple features. It's just maddening. Happens way more often than it should.

yo.

#71 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm relatively n00b-ish when it comes to phone tech. So, let's say I get an iPhone with AT&T, could I jailbreak it and somehow use the simultaneous data/voice on another carrier?
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#72 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:55 PM

so when is that hacker gonna get to the iPhone 5?
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#73 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 20,810 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:09 PM

I work 12 hour shifts and use my phone a lot during work including a Microsoft Exchange account syncing all day.

By the time I get home I still have about 30% left minimum after over 12hrs off the charger

That sounds pretty good.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#74 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,016 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm relatively n00b-ish when it comes to phone tech. So, let's say I get an iPhone with AT&T, could I jailbreak it and somehow use the simultaneous data/voice on another carrier?

No its not a phone or software limitation its the type of network used.

Beats is a gimmick all it is is a system wide equalizer.

I use this mod http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=29891134

Honestly I've never thought damn I wish I could change batteries with my one X.

It's dual core but it's the currently one of the most advanced that outperforms a lot of quad. Quad is great for 3D games but I hardly play games.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#75 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:25 PM

http://www.anandtech...e-svdo-support-
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#76 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,016 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:31 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why-the-iphone-5-lacks-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

Yea so basically it's a carrier issue where the device has to use a lte antenna for data while keeping a different antenna for voice. CDMA is just like that unlike GSM carriers where you can do it all one one antenna at once.

The iPhone could have done what other Verizon LTE phones did and have the separate antennas but didn't.

Edited by Draztik, September 30, 2012 - 05:35 PM.

21lsbya.jpg

#77 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:44 PM

CNET reported earlier today that the iPhone 5 models for both Verizon and Sprint don't support data-use and voice simultaneously while on 4G LTE networks -- meaning that if users make a voice call, they'll also need to be on Wi-Fi to pull data inside their apps, including the Safari Web browser. AT&T apparently doesn't have this same problem.
The difference between the devices on the different networks was not mentioned by Apple yesterday during its unveiling of the new iPhone. This is information likely important to those who might be considering which network provider to choose given the addition of 4G LTE.

Sneaky mutha[expletive]as
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#78 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,103 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:49 PM

You mean like on tmobile?

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#79 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,960 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:50 PM

You mean like on tmobile?

yeh or verizon
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#80 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,016 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 06:36 PM

yeh or verizon

You can always jailbreak and unlock to use it on Tmobile

21lsbya.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users