5821 replies to this topic

#2141 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Turnovers are an important statistic, but I don't see teams dropping off because of them. OKC and San Antonio are high turnover teams, but they're 2 of the best teams in the West right now.

Golden State looks good. They can score at will, and will improve a lot on defense when Andrew Bogut returns. Same with Houston. They're the best scoring team in the NBA, and will further improve with increased chemistry because all of their players are new. Minnesota seemed like a playoff team with Kevin Love last year, and should be better than last year when all of their additions gel.

Posted Image

#2142 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,930 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Lol @ Magic... "Clippers are Showtime not the other team in town" lol

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#2143 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,329 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Damn have to agree with Magic, but at least CP3 isn't a six-foot-nine freak that can play multiple positions and the Clips don't have a GOAT big man with an unstoppable skyhook.

#2144 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,185 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:11 PM

See the thing is all those teams are going through or still going through that transition period after starting hot. I'm not worried about the Rockets at all really.

Our team is starting to get it, it seems while the Rockets are still weighing how to use Lin and Harden correctly, and even when I watched today, the Bulls played worse perimeter D than we have played and Asik went for almost 20 and 19. That isn't going to happen against Dwight. Not in a million years.

So what the Rockets have adapted to that works, plays into our strengths in terms of how we're starting to defend the perimeter(it isn't perfect by any means and there's still a lot to work on but I like the matchups during stretches) and putting Nash on people like Novak today was brilliant strategy because they aren't gonna put it down against Nash and it's not their style either.

The Warriors, we beat on a night when no calls went out way, Dwight barely played, and Kobe took one free throw that was a technical because of the officiating. And we still won. On an even playing field the Warriors don't scare me, we beat them when we still didn't get it, and we beat them when they played their best game and we were dealing with the worst of circumstances.

For the same reasons it comes back to bite them against other teams.

One thing about our team which was key in championship years, Kobe called it "battle tested."

Because of all the turmoil we've dealt with in the beginning of the season and all the travail, we're becoming a battle tested team in terms of coming together as well. Dwight seems to be on the same page as well saying that he'd love to be 20-0 but that that can give the wrong ideas to teammates and teams that there aren't things to work on and it can make you think everything is ok when it isn't.

The Clippers are a key example.

Yes they have gone 12-0 right? Only 3 of those teams have had winning records.

This basically means in our 5 game winning streak we've played the same amount of winning teams that the Clippers have.

But because of the turmoil we've faced we play like we're battle tested and that comeback against the Bobcats has a lot to do with it.

You see these teams at the top of the list when they have faced adversity they sort of fold, like we did earlier in the season. Like the Warriors did against us, and like the Knicks did against us. Because all those teams got off to fast starts and didn't have to deal with what we had to deal with, so now that we play with that kind of aggression and belief that we CAN come back on any team that has us down and play more determined that is very important to have.

Teams like the Rockets, the Nuggets, the Warriors, Minnesota, are playing with what I like to call fools gold. They win the games they were supposed to win but still have apparent flaws waiting to be exploited, but they don't play with a purpose of wanting to fix those problems because not enough teams are making them pay for it yet. But look at the Knicks, they are starting to struggle because teams have started scouting how to deal with them. Minnesota is struggling because Rubio came back to soon and his timing is very off. The Rockets struggle if you play the perimeter well and don't let them dictate the game with their threes and score off their turnovers(stuff we took advantage of early in the season when we still didn't get it although we lost one).

Then you got the Warriors who are going to fall in the standings from 3rd to 6th or 7th imo, they came out the gate fast and built up a nice record but whenever they meet a true TEST of the west they usually lose.

The thing is, we'd be one of those inflated teams too if we'd won all those earlier games, but those losses embarrassed us, tested us, made us have to look elsewhere, so when we play we actually seem to play like a team that's "been there" when we're facing adversity. Because we faced it early in the season. And now we have Nash back and we actually seem to play with a confidence of being able to come back, it carried us back over the Warriors and helped us overcome the surge Carmelo sent at us in the 3rd quarter. I honestly was in no fear whatsoever in that 4th quarter once we took the lead as it felt like a matter of time before we were going to win.

I love having that feeling about our team cause you watch their body language, they don't put their head down in a "oh here we go again" way when they are facing a deficit or had a prior lead. They seem to play back into it, take the lead and take over the game. Which they should do.

But then look at those other teams, most of the time they are faced with a big deficit, they play frustrated, they start hanging their heads, they play like their confidence is shaken. Know why? Cause they didn't have to deal with that stuff early into the season nor deal with all the issues we have had to. So when it comes down to gut check time we push harder than they do because we've had to from the first game of the season.

So once our team starts really REALLY consistently learning how to win together that's what makes us a dangerous team especially with our offense really beginning to flow so we can work on the defensive issues we have.

A lot of other teams are still trying to "figure it out" and what I mean by that is if you shut down the one way they have to beat you, they keep going with that play regardless. The true elite teams seem to know how to change up strategy and beat you in a different way.

But all those teams in the middle bubble you mentioned like Houston, Minnesota, Golden State, Denver etc. Once you stop that one way, they got issues. And we're becoming a team that is actually starting how to learn to attack multiple ways and I enjoy watching it because it's stuff we expected from the beginning of the season.

So what's left for us to work on is the perimeter D and Dwight becoming healthier and getting to his full self.

If we can keep this momentum going into the all-star break then we'll begin peaking at the right time going into the playoffs.

But the "we've been here" before mentality we play with when we come back in games is very vital. And it's a HUGE turnaround from the "walking around with our heads down the moment we gave up a lead" look we had at the start of the season.

So I want us to stay there during this stretch, which is why I said the Nuggets game is important, as well as the Rockets game because the Nuggets after today will be playing with a vengeance against us tomorrow, and so will the Rockets because they feel like they've found their "new money" so it's up to us to shut that down and show them why we belong. And when you got a team as talented as ours playing with an intensity and battle tested feel with Steve Nash at the helm and Kobe of all people having to be the guy left open if you pay attention to Nash or Howard, it makes us a very dangerous team.

So the Nuggets, rockets etc may look "good" but we look "dangerous" and that's the difference I feel.

Then again I could be wrong and we let down against the Nuggets and this all goes back to square one :laughing:

But let's hope I'm not, lol :bounce:

Damn have to agree with Magic, but at least CP3 isn't a six-foot-nine freak that can play multiple positions and the Clips don't have a GOAT big man with an unstoppable skyhook.

They've won 13 straight and only 3 of those teams had winning records. This means we played the same amount of winning teams in our 5 game stretch than they have in their 13... It's hype

I'd be worried if they DIDN'T look good.
They got how to play figured out and are winning where they should be.

Edited by Majesty, December 25, 2012 - 09:13 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2145 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Keep winning Clippers, I'd love for the purple and gold to show little sister what losing feels like again.

#2146 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:41 PM

Keep winning Clippers, I'd love for the purple and gold to show little sister what losing feels like again.

They are calling the Clippers legitimate NBA championship contenders, and just said on ESPN that they may never lose again..

I find that hilarious.

#2147 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,316 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:47 PM

14 IN A ROW!? Dang. The Clippers look good for once lol

Edited by Bjork, December 25, 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#2148 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:00 PM

I am not worried about the CLippers. I hope we meet them in the playoffs. I am confident we can beat them. I just hope we avoid Memphis.

On the other hand, Miami is deadly good. They've got so many shooters. All LeBron does is drive and kick. They seem lost on defense at times though.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#2149 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:11 PM

They are calling the Clippers legitimate NBA championship contenders, and just said on ESPN that they may never lose again..

I find that hilarious.

Hey they are a threat. They are deep. You don't go on a streak like this by luck.

But this type of streak really doesn't do anything in the long run when your blowing teams out. That won't happen in a 7 game series.

Lakers are facing the most adversity in the league right now, what they are dealing with will have a larger impact than the Clippers winning streak IMO

#2150 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:22 PM

Hey they are a threat. They are deep. You don't go on a streak like this by luck.

But this type of streak really doesn't do anything in the long run when your blowing teams out. That won't happen in a 7 game series.

Lakers are facing the most adversity in the league right now, what they are dealing with will have a larger impact than the Clippers winning streak IMO

yes, only 3 teams in the Clippers winning streak had winning records. Speaks volumes really and those are the teams they've been blowing out for the most part.

The other teams have been close ones.

Edited by Majesty, December 25, 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#2151 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,316 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:31 PM

What more when Billups and Hill be back. they are legit

#2152 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:53 PM

I gotta give them credit 14 wins is mad impressive their the best team in the league right now

#2153 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted December 26, 2012 - 12:05 AM

Magic is such a frontrunner. It's painful watching the halftime segments on ESPN.

#2154 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Eminem

Posted December 26, 2012 - 12:42 AM

Jan. 4 @ Clippers

:)
Posted Image

#2155 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,746 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 26, 2012 - 02:25 PM

Clippers have no post threat......Clippers will lose 2nd round again

#2156 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Clippers have no post threat......Clippers will lose 2nd round again

If you listen to their announcers, Blake Griffin's jumper will soon rival that of Dirk Nowitski X_X I'm serious... their announcers have been saying that all year :laughing:

#2157 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted December 26, 2012 - 08:38 PM

JR Smith looking like Kobe lite out there def a top candidate for that 6th man of the year.

#2158 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 11:47 AM

http://screen.yahoo....-000000332.html

:laughing: :laughing:

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#2159 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Eminem

Posted December 27, 2012 - 01:37 PM

JR Smith my g!
Posted Image

#2160 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Mike Trudell@LakersReporter
Chris Douglas-Roberts played a ton of 1-on-1 vs. Kobe in LAL training camp. He's giving it to Kevin Martin right now for DAL at OKC.

And then he was sat.

Thunder have gone on a run and it's a 6 point game when it could have been a 15 point lead for the Mavs.

Westbrook taking too many long jump shots he doesn't have to.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (2)