Photo

Who do you think the Lakers can get using their trade exception?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:06 PM

http://losangeles.sb...ol-andrew-bynum

Lakers have the ability to take on new salary in trades. The Sasha Vujacic deal from a year ago left them with a "trade exception" they can use to acquire players who make up to $5.5 million. But like the McRib, the Lakers' trade exception is for a limited time only. (It expires on December 15.) Unlike the McRib, it won't give anyone a crippling intestinal fungus.

As long as that contract expires next year (end of 2013) I dont think acquiring a contract through the trade exception would hurt us. From what I understand this has to be a salary dump (other team dumping an unwanted player to us) and we trade away a pick in return.

So heres a bunch of players
- They got salaries less than 5.5 mil and dont run past 2013
- Im guessing they're on the trading block since they have better options on the team
- Players that can fill some needs for us
- Wouldn't require more than a 2nd round pick from us

Daniel Gibson
Ramon Sessions
Will Bynum
Louis Amundson
Terrance Williams
Courtney Lee
Brandon Rush
Carlos Delfino
Martell Webster
Anthony Morrow
Robin Lopez
Jason Thompson
Donte Greene
Linas Kleiza

Edited by MDI, December 01, 2011 - 10:13 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:09 PM

Morrow would be tight, deadly 3 shot.

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#3 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:13 PM

Oh yea I forgot to mention, acquiring these players would probably NOT require of us to give up a 1st round future pick (Save it for Dwight/CP3/Deron just in case)

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,450 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:20 PM

How would a trade look like?

#5 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,098 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:20 PM

Oh yea I forgot to mention, acquiring these players would probably NOT require of us to give up a 1st round future pick (Save it for Dwight/CP3/Deron just in case)

If Dwight is going to be traded, it is going to be AFTER the All-Star Break.

Edited by GotRings?, December 12, 2011 - 02:57 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:21 PM

I think we should use the exception on a PG.

This is my list of players that could be options and could be had for the exception:

Shaun Livingston : A big guard that Phil Jackson likes in the triangle offense.... oh wait.... dammit

DJ Augustin : With Kemba Walker heading to Charlotte, Augustin will more than likely be available

Daniel Gibson : Played well under Mike Brown in Cleveland. Would address our 3-point shooting no doubt.

Goran Dragic : Player who can only get better at age 25. We know the kid can ball.

Luke Ridnour : With Ricky Rubio joining the T-Wolves, Ridnour could find himself in a back up role (depending on what Adelman decides).

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:22 PM

Don't be so sure of yourself:

From ESPN's Marc Stein's Twitter

ESPNSteinLine
A growing number of execs starting to believe that Magic will indeed give strong consideration to doing Dwight deal before season starts

#8 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:23 PM

If he just mails it in until All star break ORL wont get much in return. Thats what happened with VC and Toronto/NJ. They thought he was a on decline but he was just halfazzing it

This is my list of players that could be options and could be had for the exception:

Shaun Livingston : A big guard that Phil Jackson likes in the triangle offense.... oh wait.... dammit

DJ Augustin : With Kemba Walker heading to Charlotte, Augustin will more than likely be available

Daniel Gibson : Played well under Mike Brown in Cleveland. Would address our 3-point shooting no doubt.

Goran Dragic : Player who can only get better at age 25. We know the kid can ball.

Luke Ridnour : With Ricky Rubio joining the T-Wolves, Ridnour could find himself in a back up role (depending on what Adelman decides).

I removed DJ from my list no way MJ helps us Lol

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:26 PM

He's from a small market team, they are desperate for money which they would get from us :rolleyes: :laughing:

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,450 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Goran Dragic is nearly a perfect fit in LA. Young, atletic, can attack, shoot and defend.
Luke Ridnour would also be nice - a good shooter and passer. Minny will wait see how Rubio turns out before they trade Ridnour.
Gibson and Shaun Livingston are basically older versions of Goudelock and Morris.
DJ Augustin - Cant defend

#11 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:33 PM

From what I understand this has to be a salary dump (other team dumping an unwanted player to us) and we trade away a pick in return.

Are you sure about this? Using the ESPN trade machine, there's no restriction on using the trade exception like that. I can put in more players on both ends even after using the exception.

Posted Image

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Goran Dragic is nearly a perfect fit in LA. Young, atletic, can attack, shoot and defend.
Luke Ridnour would also be nice - a good shooter and passer. Minny will wait see how Rubio turns out before they trade Ridnour.
Gibson and Shaun Livingston are basically older versions of Goudelock and Morris.
DJ Augustin - Cant defend

I was kidding about Livingston. :laughing:

Gibson is only 25 and we can't say he is an older version of Goudelock because for all we know, the kid may never hit a shot in an NBA game.

Augustin is still a quick guard that can penetrate. When looking for a young guard, we can't be too picky and expect the player to be an all-around player with little weaknesses, especially if we are getting them for cheap.

#13 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:35 PM

Are you sure about this? Using the ESPN trade machine, there's no restriction on using the trade exception like that. I can put in more players on both ends even after using the exception.

I dont think the ESPN trade machine thats that into consideration Im 100% sure you can only trade one player to use this

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:35 PM

Oh and MDI, the trade exception can be traded for a player straight away. There is no requirement to throw in draft picks.

#15 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:37 PM

Oh and MDI, the trade exception can be traded for a player straight away. There is no requirement to throw in draft picks.

Ah you're probably right. But Im sure they'll haggle for a pick from us Lol

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#16 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,098 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:38 PM

What ever happened to that Ellis-Odom trade discussion. IF we can give up just Bynum for Dwight and Odom for Monte Ellis, I love it.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#17 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:58 PM

I read the Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, and I think the Lakers can send back 1 player. Unless the new CBA changed it.

http://members.cox.n...larycap.htm#Q72

Here is a more complicated example of a legal non-simultaneous trade: a team has a $4 million Traded Player exception from an earlier trade, and a $10 million player it currently wants to trade. Another team has three players making $4 million, $5 million and $7 million, and the teams want to do a three-for-one trade with these players. This is legal -- the $5 million and $7 million players together make less than the 125% plus $100,000 allowed for the $10 million player ($12,600,000), and the $4 million player exactly fits within the $4 million Traded Player exception. So the $4 million player actually completes the previous trade, leaving the two teams trading a $10 million player for a $5 million and a $7 million player. From the other team's perspective it's all just one big simultaneous trade: their $4 million, $5 million and $7 million players for the $10 million player.

Edited by Japago, December 01, 2011 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image

#18 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hmm heres what wikipedia says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap#Other_exceptions

Traded Player Exception: If a team trades away a player with a higher salary than the player they acquire in return (we'll call this initial deal "Trade #1"), they receive what is called a Traded Player Exception, also known colloquially as a "Trade Exception". Teams with a trade exception have up to a year in which they can acquire more salary in other trades (Trade #2, #3, etc.) than they send away, as long as the gulf in salaries for Trade #2, #3, etc. are less than or equal to the difference in salary for Trade #1. This exception is particularly useful when teams trade draft picks straight-up for a player; since draft picks have no salary value, often the only way to get salaries to match is to use a trade exception, which allows trades to be made despite unbalanced salaries. It is also useful to compensate teams for losing free agents as they can do a sign and trade of that free agent to acquire a trade exception that can be used later. Note this exception is for single player trades only, though additional cash and draft picks can be part of the trade.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#19 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 11:07 PM

Interesting. I trust Larry Coon more though. He is the NBA CBA expert. He's used as such from practically everybody who covers the NBA, including ESPN.

Edited by Japago, December 01, 2011 - 11:08 PM.

Posted Image

#20 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 02, 2011 - 12:57 AM

They'd use it on Baron Davis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users