Official Get A PG Thread

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted December 01, 2011 - 03:24 PM

All this talk about Dwight. If it happens it happens. But regardless it still doesn't address our most obvious weakness which is at the point.
I'm tired of seeing PG's blow by us, right down the lane and either score or create for others because KB or Ron are forced to provide weak side help.

If we don't get a young 23-28 year old PG with athletic ability to run with all these other PG's in the league were toast in the long run.
We all know all the awesome pgs in the league that we gotta defend night in and night out. We have ignored it for far to long.

And I love D-Fish but c'mon lets be real. Hes an off the bench, 15 mins, knock down jumpers role player age now.
And Blake.....mistake.
And now there's no triangle offense that tread lightly on our pg's tired legs anymore.
Simply put we have zero at the 1.
And getting a veteran 33 year old PG would be a band aid. The ones that are available cant compete. Cats like Arenas cant guard Rose, Curry, Jennings, Hill , Wall, Felton, Westbrook, , Dwill, Cp3 and [expletive]ing Rondo. They cant even hang with the old vets like Nash, Kidd and Parker any more.

I think this is the most important problem we have and if its not fixed and we stay broken as we are, then we will get burnt again in the playoffs.

Edited by LakersGAFan, December 12, 2011 - 09:54 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#2 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted December 01, 2011 - 03:32 PM

All this talk about Dwight. If it happens it happens. But regardless it still doesn't address our most obvious weakness which is at the point.
I'm tired of seeing PG's blow by us, right down the lane and either score or create for others because KB or Ron are forced to provide weak side help.

If we don't get a young 23-28 year old PG with athletic ability to run with all these other PG's in the league were toast in the long run.
We all know all the awesome pgs in the league that we gotta defend night in and night out. We have ignored it for far to long.

And I love D-Fish but c'mon lets be real. Hes an off the bench, 15 mins, knock down jumpers role player age now.
And Blake.....mistake.
And now there's no triangle offense that tread lightly on our pg's tired legs anymore.
Simply put we have zero at the 1.
And getting a veteran 33 year old PG would be a band aid. The ones that are available cant compete. Cats like Arenas cant guard Rose, Curry, Jennings, Hill , Wall, Felton, Westbrook, , Dwill, Cp3 and [expletive]ing Rondo. They cant even hang with the old vets like Nash, Kidd and Parker any more.

I think this is the most important problem we have and if its not fixed and we stay broken as we are, then we will get burnt again in the playoffs.

i agree were thin at the 1 but we also have darrius morris at the 1. Hes a defense type 6'6 pg.

Although it wouldnt hurt if the lakers trade for louis williams. Hes on the market. Artest for williams! DO IT MITCH!
Posted Image

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 01, 2011 - 03:39 PM

Who do you get for the money and trade assets the Lakers have? There are no players other teams would want to get from the Lakers while giving them the one piece every team knows they're looking for.

Bynum and Odom would be involved in a deal for Howard first and move on from there.

After that there's not much other teams would want for a top flight point guard, especially when they know the Lakers are so heavily in the market for one. Aron Brooks is stuck in China, Dragic does nothing for the Lakers in the long term, Paul is unattainable, Williams will be far too expensive for them, Rondo's going nowhere and Mo Williams is contractually with the Clips for a bit more. I don't know who else is out there, but I do know the pickings are slim.

Youth shouldn't be the first thing you're looking at. I'd rather go with a mid-level experienced guard that doesn't need the ball to be effective. Baron Davis may be easily gotten, but I can tell you right now, he's not a good defender and he's a shoot first PG that needs the ball to do his best work. It's not a marked improvement over what Fisher brings.

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 01, 2011 - 03:45 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/AlexKennedyNBA/status/142105111194378240

The Philadelphia 76ers may start shopping Lou Williams, according to sources close to the situation

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,528 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 03:53 PM

needing a PG is all nice and dandy but i don't understand who you think the lakers could actually get.

also i said it in the other thread. Howard was the best player in the NBA this past season, if not the best 2nd best so you absolutely bring in howard at all costs.

no PG has even close to the impact dwight howard does. yes even derrick rose, chris paul, deron williams. non of their impacts even sniff dwights. so no you do not give up any players that would be used for dwight to get a PG. PGs are very easy to find. if you look around the league we are pretty much the only team without one
Posted Image

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 01, 2011 - 03:55 PM

Well, if we don't improve our PG situation, even DH will get tired of protecting the basket from CONSTANT dribble penetration

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,528 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:00 PM

Well, if we don't improve our PG situation, even DH will get tired of protecting the basket from CONSTANT dribble penetration

never said to not improve it. but giving up pau, bynum, or odom for a PG would be a massive mistake. Dwight Howard should be priority #1
Posted Image

#8 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:11 PM

I agree with LakerGAfan while Dwight is the most dominant player were good enough down low where we could win without Dwight, our weakest position by far is PG even if we get someone like Lou Williams like MDI posted that would do wonders for this team.

Edited by NYCLakerfan, December 01, 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#9 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:18 PM

is dan dickau still playing?

#10 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:25 PM

Last stand is 100% right.

Williams is not the difference maker, not even in the same league as Dwight is. If the Lakers used Bynum to trade for a mid-level PG rather than getting the best big man in the league and a cornerstone to play with and build around, along with a Kobe career extender, it would be one of the biggest trading gaffs in the history of the Lakers.

Dwight won't get "tired" of guarding the paint. of course and upgrade is needed, but it's a mild upgrade, it doesn't need to be huge. Williams will garner more than the Lakers have to offer.

#11 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:27 PM

I'm not giving up on Blake yet, though I'd still love to see somebody else come in.

Posted Image

#12 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,528 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:30 PM

i mean what are we gonna do. trade odom for devin harris and now be stuck only having pau and bynum to offer for howard when we could have waited to see what PG makes it through the waiver wire and had howard and pau
Posted Image

#13 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Last stand is 100% right.

Williams is not the difference maker, not even in the same league as Dwight is. If the Lakers used Bynum to trade for a mid-level PG rather than getting the best big man in the league and a cornerstone to play with and build around, along with a Kobe career extender, it would be one of the biggest trading gaffs in the history of the Lakers.

Dwight won't get "tired" of guarding the paint. of course and upgrade is needed, but it's a mild upgrade, it doesn't need to be huge. Williams will garner more than the Lakers have to offer.

I don't think the Sixers will ask that much for him. He only played 20 minutes a game for them last season. With them looking to get rid of Iggy, I think they want to cut payroll. I think he's a good target.

Posted Image

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,528 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:42 PM

he was talking about D will
Posted Image

#15 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 01, 2011 - 05:50 PM

he was talking about D will

Haha, thanks.

Anyway, no matter which superstar the Lakers deal for, there will be a hole. Trade for Dwight, Lakers still have PG problems. Trade for CP3 or D-Will, Lakers have C problems. What the Lakers should do is a 3 way trade in which they get help to get the other piece.

Posted Image

#16 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,597 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted December 01, 2011 - 06:20 PM

+1. Its logic.
And in addition when the best big and best defensive player in the game is forced out of the paint to stop PG's that blow by our PG's wtf is the point of having him in the middle?

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#17 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,597 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 06:28 PM

of course and upgrade is needed, but it's a mild upgrade, it doesn't need to be huge. Williams will garner more than the Lakers have to offer.

this I agree with. We dont need a superstar allstar 1. But doing nothing to upgrade our current status will result in failure.
If we did get Dwight for Drew+LO and the remaining starters were the same the grade would be:
PG: F
SG: A
C: A
PF: A
SF: C+ but a B+ when Ron gives a damn.

We cant win a chip w/o the pg being upgraded to at least a C status. Id hate to bring in a MJ comparison but we need our BJ Armstrong real bad. A mobile, athletic defensive gaurd who can hit the tre's.
Other wise were [expletive]ed! with a capital F.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#18 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 01, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Why do people want to trade Ron so bad? Do you realize that he is the best defender we have behind Kobe.

#19 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,597 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 06:34 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/AlexKennedyNBA/status/142105111194378240

Lou Williams would be a glass of Don P Champagne compared to the Pabst Milwaukee Beer PG's we got.
Lou is quick and can pop tres surrounded by the squad he would be playing with. And hes a good 1 on 1 defender.
He'd get the job done for us. What are the possibilities of acquiring him MDI? You know all the salary/trade option stuff.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#20 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted December 01, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Why do people want to trade Ron so bad? Do you realize that he is the best defender we have behind Kobe.

Only trade artest if we really do get shane battier or caron butler. Artest had his moments here. yes he won with that game winning shot, is the 2nd best defender on the team, but he just seems way to distracted and is not consistent. Hes getting old and seems like he lost a step. Why not upgrade him for a pg position. Louis williams and artests contract match up why not?

Louis williams is a scoring pg but he would be able to keep up with younger pgs for the mean time. Just sayin
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users