"What if Michael Vick were white?"

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,309 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:04 PM

:smh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/ESPN-runs-controversial-picture-of-a-white-Micha?urn=nfl-wp5866

Posted Image
ESPN is under fire Thursday for creating and publishing the Photoshopped image above of Michael Vick(notes) with a white face to accompany a column in ESPN The Magazine entitled "What if Michael Vick were white?"

After immediate backlash to the image, which was also posted on ESPN's website, editors replaced the online picture with a regular photograph of Vick. The website then reversed course and, as of 2:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, had restored the original, controversial image to the top of the online story.

#2 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:11 PM

He kind of looks like me when I have my facial hair. :/

#3 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,309 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:16 PM

the point is that this story is the pinnacle of ignorance and racism.

edit: I forgot stupidity ^

Edited by LakersGAFan, August 25, 2011 - 12:19 PM.

#4 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 26,997 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:21 PM

This was pretty uncalled for.

#5 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:25 PM

the point is that this story is the pinnacle of ignorance and racism.

edit: I forgot stupidity ^

Did you read the article? I didn't but the guy who reported about it on yahoo said it was a really well written article on race in this country.

#6 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,309 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:33 PM

Did you read the article? I didn't but the guy who reported about it on yahoo said it was a really well written article on race in this country.

Yes I read it. And I concur it was ignorance to the 10th power.
To suggest that if his parents were white he wouldnt have been a dog fighter.
That tard hasnt been to the south much. These rednecks love them a good dog fight, cockfight, bull fight...etc.
What about Canada...where they have actual dog fighting leagues and its mostly white owners.

And to 'suggest" (they didnt say it but they meant it) that if he was white he wouldnt have been memorable enough...heres a guy who was a White NFL QB and is memorable....
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Joe Namath
John Elway
Roger Stauback
Steve Young
Troy Aikman...etc, etc.

Its almost as if the author wishes he was white so he could be a loyal fan...like he has issues 100% supporting Vick cuzz hes not white. He obviously has apprehensions otherwize why would he even think the color of his skin.

And even though its ignorant in the 1st place to think about it....its a greater extent to make a graphic of "what a black guy would look like if he was white"....its freakin racist.

btw...Vick is still overrated imo...lol

Edited by LakersGAFan, August 25, 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#7 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:40 PM

To suggest that if his parents were white he wouldnt have been a dog fighter.
That tard hasnt been to the south much. These rednecks love them a good dog fight, cockfight, bull fight...etc.
What about Canada...where they have actual dog fighting leagues.

And to 'suggest" (they didnt say it but they meant it) that if he was white he wouldnt have been memorable enough...heres a guy who was a White QB and is memorable
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Joe Namath
John Elway
Roger Stauback
Steve Young
Troy Aikman...etc, etc.

Its almost as if thr author wishes he was white so he could be a loyal fan...like he has issues 100% supporting Vick cuzz hes not white. Otherwize why would you even think it.

And even though its ignorant in the 1st place to think about it....its a greater extent to make a graphic of "what a black guy would look like if he was white"....its freakin racist.

I guess this just goes to show how two ppl can view the same thing perceive it in totally different ways cause I just read the article and didnt find anything wrong with it

#8 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,309 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:44 PM

I guess this just goes to show how two ppl can view the same thing perceive it in totally different ways cause I just read the article and didnt find anything wrong with it

its not what he says in the article...its the articles intent...wtf is the point if not to cause controversy by doing something offensive.

#9 JRG_24

JRG_24

Starter

• 5,259 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted August 25, 2011 - 04:32 PM

BSPN. Can you say, "We are running out of things to talk about?"

Anyway, this reminded me of this, except its real lol.
Posted Image

#10 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted August 25, 2011 - 05:04 PM

BSPN. Can you say, "We are running out of things to talk about?"

Anyway, this reminded me of this, except its real lol.
Posted Image

Is that a white Kobe Bryant?

Black Rob, say it: "LIKE WHOA".

#11 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted August 25, 2011 - 05:07 PM

I got a silly question that could turn into an article too.

What if Micheal Vick was white, but his penis was still black? :glasses: -sarcasm-

#12 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 26,997 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 05:08 PM

What if Micheal Vick was white, but his penis was still black? :glasses: -sarcasm-

:blink:

#13 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,503 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted August 25, 2011 - 05:57 PM

To suggest that if his parents were white he wouldnt have been a dog fighter

didn't read the article, and probably won't, but this jumped out at me while going through this thread...

if the article actually suggests that a simple change to the color of his and his parents skin would likely change his life for the better then i have no interest in reading it. terrible way to start an argument...thats like saying if Charles Manson was someone else, he probably wouldn't have killed all those people...well no [expletive]!

it has a lot more to do with his surroundings, and the circumstances he grew up in and around than it does the color of his skin. and to piggy back on GAs point...a ghetto black person is essentially the black version of a redneck...

both are a product of ignorance, and their environment...they're born into these vicious cycles of crime, poverty, poor education, etc...kids are born to parents who have no clue how to raise a kid, or where to figure out how...sometimes they're teenages, sometimes single parents...but frequently the lack of education leads to them having to work [expletive]ty jobs at all hours of the day/night just to keep the lights on...leaving no real parental supervision for their kids...and of course they can't afford babysitters, which leads to the kids learning life lessons from TV, music, or their friends who r in the same boat...and leaving them doomed to repeat the same mistakes and end up pregnant, a drop out, in jails, or whatever...and their kids are born into the same situations...wash, rinse, repeat...

vick being a dog fighter was about a lack of a role model, and the people he hung out with...not him being black

Posted Image

#14 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 01:11 PM

didn't read the article, and probably won't, but this jumped out at me while going through this thread...

if the article actually suggests that a simple change to the color of his and his parents skin would likely change his life for the better then i have no interest in reading it. terrible way to start an argument...thats like saying if Charles Manson was someone else, he probably wouldn't have killed all those people...well no [expletive]!

it has a lot more to do with his surroundings, and the circumstances he grew up in and around than it does the color of his skin. and to piggy back on GAs point...a ghetto black person is essentially the black version of a redneck...

both are a product of ignorance, and their environment...they're born into these vicious cycles of crime, poverty, poor education, etc...kids are born to parents who have no clue how to raise a kid, or where to figure out how...sometimes they're teenages, sometimes single parents...but frequently the lack of education leads to them having to work [expletive]ty jobs at all hours of the day/night just to keep the lights on...leaving no real parental supervision for their kids...and of course they can't afford babysitters, which leads to the kids learning life lessons from TV, music, or their friends who r in the same boat...and leaving them doomed to repeat the same mistakes and end up pregnant, a drop out, in jails, or whatever...and their kids are born into the same situations...wash, rinse, repeat...

vick being a dog fighter was about a lack of a role model, and the people he hung out with...not him being black

What the article is basically saying is that most likely if Vick was white he wouldn't have been in his situation based on stats of black kids growing up in 2 parent households vs white kids, things like that. The article never article never blatantly says his life would be better if he was white actually at some point he said it was due more to his surrounding and upbringing rather than just race.

#15 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:26 PM

What the article is basically saying is that most likely if Vick was white he wouldn't have been in his situation based on stats of black kids growing up in 2 parent households vs white kids, things like that. The article never article never blatantly says his life would be better if he was white actually at some point he said it was due more to his surrounding and upbringing rather than just race.

Isn't that just common sense then? Why bring race in at all?
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#16 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,503 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:39 PM

good to know...wouldn't think ESPN would put something like that on their site, but you never know thesedays

thats why i started with "if the article..."

Posted Image

#17 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Isn't that just common sense then? Why bring race in at all?

Idk I guess so ppl would know that what Vicks been through isn't really because of his race but his upbringing but idk I just thought it was a good article.

• 40,365 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Vanilla Ice with a Chocolate Johnson.

yo.

#19 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,300 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:40 AM

btw...Vick is still overrated imo...lol

Agree.

When Vick came back he was chill, thankful and seemed humbled(likeable). Seen a post game press conference other day he seems back to his old self(cocky, arrogant).

Soon Philly will turn on Vick. Next thing you know he'll be flippin' birds on the field. :whistle:

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users