Photo

Idea: Brand, Williams, Meeks for LO, Barnes, Brown, Ebanks and Caracter.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 17, 2011 - 01:34 PM

Lakers get:

Elton Brand
Lou Williams
Jodie Meeks

Sixers get:

Lamar Odom
Shannon Brown (Sign and Trade)
Matt Barnes
Devin Ebanks
Derick Caracter
~$5.2 Mil Trade Exception

- Lakers get a better scorer at PF to play with the bench. He's making a lot of money, but it's only for 2 years. He played really well in the post season.
- Lou Williams can start at PG. Clear upgrade over Fisher.
- Jodie Meeks is a good shooter, which the Lakers need.

- Philly gets talent that can play really well in an up tempo system.
- Philly can have room for 2 max contracts after next season.

Edited by Japago, August 17, 2011 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 17, 2011 - 11:45 PM

Elton is 194047152848191 years old. We r already have too much of that on this team

Posted Image

#3 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 01:34 AM

Elton is 194047152848191 years old. We r already have too much of that on this team

Brand is about the same age as Odom. He was their leading scorer during the season and I liked him in the series against Miami. He played well against them.

Posted Image

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 18, 2011 - 01:52 AM

Dont like the trade. Odom-Brand is a wash, and Brands contract is insane.

Also, our deepest position, the 3, becomes the thinnest. IMO Barnes and Ebanks are keepers.

It would be difficult to fit Williams, Meeks, Blake, fish, two rooks, and Kobe at the 1 and 2.

That being said, I think something could be done regarding Lou Williams, who would be a nice fit. Perhaps straight up for Artest and Goudelock. Philly needs to move Iggy, and will have a massive problem defending the SFs of the east (LBJ, Melo, Pierce etc.). Also, Lou Williams isn't really a good fit in Philly, who is focusing on Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner going forward.

#5 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:37 PM

Dont like the trade. Odom-Brand is a wash, and Brands contract is insane.

Also, our deepest position, the 3, becomes the thinnest. IMO Barnes and Ebanks are keepers.

It would be difficult to fit Williams, Meeks, Blake, fish, two rooks, and Kobe at the 1 and 2.

That being said, I think something could be done regarding Lou Williams, who would be a nice fit. Perhaps straight up for Artest and Goudelock. Philly needs to move Iggy, and will have a massive problem defending the SFs of the east (LBJ, Melo, Pierce etc.). Also, Lou Williams isn't really a good fit in Philly, who is focusing on Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner going forward.

Brand's contract is only for 2 years though. Unless the Lakers blow it up and plan on having lots of cap space after next season, it doesn't matter.

Jodie Meeks played around 28 minutes a game last season. Kobe can spend time at SF while giving Meeks more time at SG. The rooks won't play that much and the Lakers should look to deal Blake. He was terrible last season.

Rotation would look like this:

C: Bynum(30) Gasol(18)
PF: Gasol(15) Brand(33)
SF: Artest(33) Bryant(15)
SG: Bryant(18) Meeks(30)
PG: Williams(30) Fisher(18)

Posted Image

#6 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted August 18, 2011 - 11:35 PM

Brand is about the same age as Odom. He was their leading scorer during the season and I liked him in the series against Miami. He played well against them.

Oh my bad. I thought Elton was much older but either way Elton is washed up while odom is not.

Posted Image

#7 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 12:59 AM

Oh my bad. I thought Elton was much older but either way Elton is washed up while odom is not.

Nah, he had a good season. He was the 76ers' leading scorer. 15 pts and 8 rebs on 51% shooting in the regular season. 16 and 8 on 55% shooting in the series against Miami. I think the Lakers' tendency to play more in the half court than the 76ers will make him even better.

Posted Image

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 12:38 PM

Brand's contract is only for 2 years though. Unless the Lakers blow it up and plan on having lots of cap space after next season, it doesn't matter.

Jodie Meeks played around 28 minutes a game last season. Kobe can spend time at SF while giving Meeks more time at SG. The rooks won't play that much and the Lakers should look to deal Blake. He was terrible last season.

Rotation would look like this:

C: Bynum(30) Gasol(18)
PF: Gasol(15) Brand(33)
SF: Artest(33) Bryant(15)
SG: Bryant(18) Meeks(30)
PG: Williams(30) Fisher(18)

Still dont like it. Gasol should play 30+ minutes at the 4, where he is most comfortable, and kobe should play all his minutes at the 2, where he is most effective. If Odom is being moved, for anyone not named Dwight, it should be for a good starting PG, or backup PF or C.

#9 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 03:42 PM

Still dont like it. Gasol should play 30+ minutes at the 4, where he is most comfortable, and kobe should play all his minutes at the 2, where he is most effective. If Odom is being moved, for anyone not named Dwight, it should be for a good starting PG, or backup PF or C.

Trade gets a good starting PG, a 6th man PF, and a shooter.

Williams is very good. He can defend really well and is also a scorer. He averaged 14 ppg while only playing 23 minutes a game. He's also clutch.

Brand produced about the same as Odom last season. He had a pretty good post season while playing against the best defensive team in the league. But, he has more experience being a go-to-guy, so he'll fill that role better when he plays with the bench. I don't think he's as good of a compliment to the starters as Odom though.

Posted Image

#10 T-Time

T-Time

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Name:Trevor
  • Fan Since:1989

Posted August 23, 2011 - 09:33 PM

Don't want to take on Brand's huge contract for the sake of getting a shooter and an undersized, score-first point guard.

#11 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 12:21 AM

Don't want to take on Brand's huge contract for the sake of getting a shooter and an undersized, score-first point guard.

It's only for 2 years. The Lakers aren't going to have cap space after next season, so it doesn't matter. I think the Lakers can actually use Brand more than Odom. He'll be a better fit when playing with the bench. He may be worse playing with the starters, but potentially being able to play the entire bench together outweighs that.

Lou Williams is 6'1 and can defend. The starting PG isn't going to be the primary ball-handler and the Lakers need more scoring anyway. They took a step back offensively the last 2 seasons.

Posted Image

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:10 AM

It's only for 2 years. The Lakers aren't going to have cap space after next season, so it doesn't matter. I think the Lakers can actually use Brand more than Odom. He'll be a better fit when playing with the bench. He may be worse playing with the starters, but potentially being able to play the entire bench together outweighs that.

Lou Williams is 6'1 and can defend. The starting PG isn't going to be the primary ball-handler and the Lakers need more scoring anyway. They took a step back offensively the last 2 seasons.

1. Brand - Odom is a wash. Except, Brand cost twice as much as Odom.
2. We'll be STACKED with undersized 2s. Lou Williams, Jodie Meeks and Goudelock
3. We still wont have a REAL pg, only old-timers Fish and Blake, and unproven Rookie Morris.
4. We will be THIN at the 3, which previously was our deepest position.
5. Because of 2) and 4) we would be forced to play Pau and Kobe extended minutes at the 3 and 5, respectively, which isn't their natural position.
6. The most important one: WE WILL NOT HAVE ANY CHANCE OF LANDING ANY BIG-TIME FA'S, LIKE HOWARD, CP3 OR D-WILL.

#13 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:12 PM

1. Brand - Odom is a wash. Except, Brand cost twice as much as Odom.
2. We'll be STACKED with undersized 2s. Lou Williams, Jodie Meeks and Goudelock
3. We still wont have a REAL pg, only old-timers Fish and Blake, and unproven Rookie Morris.
4. We will be THIN at the 3, which previously was our deepest position.
5. Because of 2) and 4) we would be forced to play Pau and Kobe extended minutes at the 3 and 5, respectively, which isn't their natural position.
6. The most important one: WE WILL NOT HAVE ANY CHANCE OF LANDING ANY BIG-TIME FA'S, LIKE HOWARD, CP3 OR D-WILL.

I think we have to agree to disagree. I'm repeating some things a lot. But, here is how I feel:

Again, it doesn't matter how much Brand makes. His contract expires in 2 seasons. The Lakers will still be way over the cap either way in 2 seasons. I think he can be better for the Lakers than Odom too. Odom's best season in a long time still had him produce similar numbers to Brand.

I like Lou Williams. Which is basically the biggest disagreement in this topic. I think he can be the PG for the Lakers. Can stay in front of his man, and can score too. Even if his passing skills aren't spectacular, Kobe is the primary ball-handler anyway. The Lakers need more offensive firepower.

At the 3, Barnes didn't make a huge impact like we thought he would. Kobe was fine playing some time there.

Pau's role is the same before the trade. Odom doesn't play any C, just like Brand. It wasn't Gasol playing minutes at C that messed him up. Nowitzki killed him too, and Bosh destroyed him in their March game as well.

I'm gonna ignore the rookies since I don't think any of them will contribute this year.

I doubt teams will go for Bynum and Odom. Getting a superstar for those 2 of course is better than this deal, but I think Bynum and Gasol will be the price those teams ask for their star, if they even put them on the trading block.

Edited by Japago, August 25, 2011 - 11:18 PM.

Posted Image

#14 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:27 PM

I think we have to agree to disagree. I'm repeating some things a lot. But, here is how I feel:

Again, it doesn't matter how much Brand makes. His contract expires in 2 seasons. The Lakers will still be way over the cap either way in 2 seasons. I think he can be better for the Lakers than Odom too. Odom's best season in a long time still had him produce similar numbers to Brand.

I like Lou Williams. Which is basically the biggest disagreement in this topic. I think he can be the PG for the Lakers. Can stay in front of his man, and can score too. Even if his passing skills aren't spectacular, Kobe is the primary ball-handler anyway. The Lakers need more offensive firepower.

At the 3, Barnes didn't make a huge impact like we thought he would. Kobe was fine playing some time there.

Pau's role is the same before the trade. Odom doesn't play any C, just like Brand. It wasn't Gasol playing minutes at C that messed him up. Nowitzki killed him too, and Bosh destroyed him in their March game as well.

I'm gonna ignore the rookies since I don't think any of them will contribute this year.

I doubt teams will go for Bynum and Odom. Getting a superstar for those 2 of course is better than this deal, but I think Bynum and Gasol will be the price those teams ask for their star, if they even put them on the trading block.

Ok, agree to disagree.

I do think that Lou Williams would be an excellent fit in LA, the price just for him is just too high.

#15 T-Time

T-Time

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Name:Trevor
  • Fan Since:1989

Posted August 27, 2011 - 08:54 PM

Even if it's for two years, I just don't want Brand. He's injury prone and we lose Odom's versatility up front.

I'd rather have a point guard that will facilitate, make good decisions and then score. Williams is more of a Monta Ellis type player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users