#21 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,825 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2011 - 11:53 PM

Joe Johnson has one of the ugliest contracts I've ever seen. Do not want.

#22 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 30, 2011 - 04:32 AM

Overall, I think I see eye to eye on most of the concerns in this topic.

I just think Pau doesn't have a lot of value because he's looked terrible in the playoffs. I don't think the Lakers can get anywhere near dominant Gasol value. And if the Lakers try to play him and he's still terrible, he's worthless. Basically, I'm saying cut your losses. At least the Lakers get a 2nd option guy who hasn't looked that bad yet overall compared to Gasol. And, a good PG too.

Joe Johnson's contract is bad, but are the Lakers really going to be contending in a few years to the point where that cap space will matter? I say try to win now. And, his contract is only 2 years longer. He'll have a lot of money due, but a team at that point may take flier on him at that point for just 2 more years.

Edited by Japago, July 30, 2011 - 04:35 AM.

Posted Image

#23 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts
  • Name:Superior Mastiffs
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted July 30, 2011 - 05:56 AM

Overall, I think I see eye to eye on most of the concerns in this topic.

I just think Pau doesn't have a lot of value because he's looked terrible in the playoffs. I don't think the Lakers can get anywhere near dominant Gasol value. And if the Lakers try to play him and he's still terrible, he's worthless. Basically, I'm saying cut your losses. At least the Lakers get a 2nd option guy who hasn't looked that bad yet overall compared to Gasol. And, a good PG too.

Joe Johnson's contract is bad, but are the Lakers really going to be contending in a few years to the point where that cap space will matter? I say try to win now. And, his contract is only 2 years longer. He'll have a lot of money due, but a team at that point may take flier on him at that point for just 2 more years.

Except I dont believe Joe Johnson would give us what we need to win a championship, He's not consistent, To me he is the most overpaid player in the NBA because he still has 5 years left on that contract

#24 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 06:07 AM

Except I dont believe Joe Johnson would give us what we need to win a championship, He's not consistent, To me he is the most overpaid player in the NBA because he still has 5 years left on that contract

Fair enough. It's still the closest the Lakers would get to getting a 2nd option and a PG by giving up Gasol alone. He just doesn't have a lot of value right now according to many people.

Posted Image

#25 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 09:50 AM

Fair enough. It's still the closest the Lakers would get to getting a 2nd option and a PG by giving up Gasol alone. He just doesn't have a lot of value right now according to many people.

Gasol pissed me off last season so I'm not high on him.. Still I believe he has more value than you are giving him credit for

#26 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,882 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 30, 2011 - 01:18 PM

I just can't see us winning a championship with Johnson or Kobe playing at the three, and us relying on Bynum's post presence and rebounding as our only seven-footer. It's hard to swallow.

Gasol had a poor performance in one playoff run. People are still high on Drew, even though he went missing in three of our last four playoff runs. I've been highly critical of Gasol, but those last handful of games can't push me far enough to want to deal him for a two-guard that is a terrible primary scoring option, and one that will never be considered the future of the Lakers.

This feels like one of those situations where, if we can't get more than that, we work around it and use Gasol up. Lessen the load, somehow. We're doing it with Kobe, and both players (KB and PG) are still effective.

We just need more athleticism, and defensive players are needed at the point and coming off the bench at the four or five.

#27 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 03:32 PM

I would like to see Gasol traded but only if we can get what we need for him, Not trade him just to get rid of him because of his poor performance last season. I would prefer a sign and trade for Wilson Chandler, Affalo and a Jr Smith instead, if we cant get all three then Wison and Jr

Edited by Mr.know.it.all, July 30, 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#28 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,586 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 30, 2011 - 10:32 PM

If, in fact, Jim Buss is ruling out trading Drew, then perhaps it would be an idea to get an additional piece to the mix using Gasol.
But, I do not like Joe Johnson at all, he has the most horrible contract in the league, and he is a borderline all-star calibre player who will be paid 25 million in 2016(!!!). Also, he is a two, and while both him and Kobe CAN play the 3, they are a lot more effective at the two.

Perhaps an Igoudala, Thad Young, picks for Gasol-Artest would be more interesting to look at...

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,882 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 30, 2011 - 11:04 PM

Perhaps an Igoudala, Thad Young, picks for Gasol-Artest would be more interesting to look at...

The Sixers organization would be verbally ripped to shreds if that trade happened, haha. Artest is a nobody to Philly right now (they wouldn't give us any single player on their roster for him), and it's basically Gasol (who is not a primary scoring option) + a bad contract...and they would be trading away Iggy and Young (both good players) and draft picks that they have considered trading Iggy for (it was that, or Kaman's expiring).

With the Sixers, it's all about the money. Gasol is the anti-Sixer, in that case...but even if they did want him, it would be to pair him and Iguodala up, or bring in another decent player for Iggy. They would be taking on too much, and losing too much in the process.

Remove Ron, take out Young, and the Sixers say yes to that deal...but that just gives us Iggy's bad contract, means we keep Ron's ugly deal, we don't get Young, and the draft picks aren't going to be lottery. Hard pill to swallow.

Sure would've been nice if we could've pulled off that Odom/Iggy trade.

#30 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 04:42 AM

I just can't see us winning a championship with Johnson or Kobe playing at the three, and us relying on Bynum's post presence and rebounding as our only seven-footer. It's hard to swallow.

Gasol had a poor performance in one playoff run. People are still high on Drew, even though he went missing in three of our last four playoff runs. I've been highly critical of Gasol, but those last handful of games can't push me far enough to want to deal him for a two-guard that is a terrible primary scoring option, and one that will never be considered the future of the Lakers.

This feels like one of those situations where, if we can't get more than that, we work around it and use Gasol up. Lessen the load, somehow. We're doing it with Kobe, and both players (KB and PG) are still effective.

We just need more athleticism, and defensive players are needed at the point and coming off the bench at the four or five.

I've soften my stance a bit on this. I just really feel like Gasol is going to continue to be bad, then he'll be untradable. He was like that too during certain times at the season even if the stats show that he had a good season.

I'll say this, I'm willing to part with him if he's the 2nd guy needed along with Bynum to get Dwight.

Posted Image

#31 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,586 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 05:06 AM

I've soften my stance a bit on this. I just really feel like Gasol is going to continue to be bad, then he'll be untradable. He was like that too during certain times at the season even if the stats show that he had a good season.

I'll say this, I'm willing to part with him if he's the 2nd guy needed along with Bynum to get Dwight.

C'mon, man. You feel (?!?) that he is going to be bad because he played 10 bad games. So did Odom and Kobe (In Kobe's case it was more like sub-par games, than bad).
The thing is Gasol has a unique combination of height and skill that ages really well. He is a keeper.
Unless of course it's for Dwight Howard, then i agree that he should be moved.

#32 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 05:29 AM

C'mon, man. You feel (?!?) that he is going to be bad because he played 10 bad games. So did Odom and Kobe (In Kobe's case it was more like sub-par games, than bad).
The thing is Gasol has a unique combination of height and skill that ages really well. He is a keeper.
Unless of course it's for Dwight Howard, then i agree that he should be moved.

He showed signs of it too after playing really well in the beginning. He had a period where he really struggled. Then, he was still kind of inconsistent after that. He has good averages, but part of that is a product of him playing well in the beginning.

Like I said, I have soften my stance. He should be on a short leash though. Keeping him too long while he doesn't play well would make him untradeable because his contract is bad too.

Posted Image

#33 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:07 AM

He showed signs of it too after playing really well in the beginning. He had a period where he really struggled. Then, he was still kind of inconsistent after that. He has good averages, but part of that is a product of him playing well in the beginning.

Like I said, I have soften my stance. He should be on a short leash though. Keeping him too long while he doesn't play well would make him untradeable because his contract is bad too.

I think our best chance to get some value for Gasol is after the lockout is lifted, The older he gets the less likely we can trade him for what we want.

#34 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,586 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 10:25 AM

But why trade him? He is an elite big-man, with a skill-set that ages really well. If somehow we can get D-Will, Howard or CP3, Gasol could be the 3rd scoring option where he would be perfect.
If we cant get one of these guys, then trading Gasol would be even worse, because when (not if) Bynum gets hurt, Gasol can move to the 5 and we can start Odom at the 4 which is still pretty damn good.
Imagine if we did the Joe Johnson deal, and then Bynum got hurt. We would be forced to start Odom and Theo Ratliff/Joe Smith/Derrick Caracter. No thanks.

#35 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 01:23 PM

But why trade him? He is an elite big-man, with a skill-set that ages really well. If somehow we can get D-Will, Howard or CP3, Gasol could be the 3rd scoring option where he would be perfect.
If we cant get one of these guys, then trading Gasol would be even worse, because when (not if) Bynum gets hurt, Gasol can move to the 5 and we can start Odom at the 4 which is still pretty damn good.
Imagine if we did the Joe Johnson deal, and then Bynum got hurt. We would be forced to start Odom and Theo Ratliff/Joe Smith/Derrick Caracter. No thanks.

I didnt want to do the Johnson deal, I wanted to get better value for him

#36 T-Time

T-Time

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Name:Trevor
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 31, 2011 - 03:51 PM

I don't want a second-tier star who we're going to be paying franchise money to. Kobe is on the decline and Johnson will be on the decline in a couple years too.

No need to trade big for small either. Otherwise, it's just Bynum and Odom as our bigs (and Caracter if he counts).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users