10 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2011 - 09:56 PM

http://www.cbssports...297882/30516115

A game between the Rangers and A's in Texas Thursday night yielded tragic news from off the field. During the second inning, Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton picked up a foul ball and tossed it up into the crowd. A fan leaned a bit over the rail to catch the ball, lost his balance and fell about 20 feet behind a video board. He was pronounced dead less than three hours later.

“We are deeply saddened to learn that the man who fell has passed away as a result of this tragic accident,” Rangers president and CEO Nolan Ryan said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Reportedly, the man who fell was a firefighter and was with his son, estimated six to eight years old. (all info above courtesy of Foul Territory, a Rangers blog). A newspaper from the area of Brownwood, Texas has identified the man as an 18-year veteran of the fire department.

The Rangers clubhouse was closed after the game and the A's players were reportedly devastated after having witnessed the fall (Susan Slusser via Twitter). In fact, A's relief pitcher Brad Ziegler said he saw the man was conscious and asking stadium officials to look after his son (Slusser Twitter).

Rangers' manager Ron Washington had this to say about Hamilton, who obviously did nothing wrong by simply trying hook a fan up with a souvenir.

"Josh is fine. Outward he's fine. I guess he's got to deal with it in his own way."

On whether or not Hamilton will play Friday, Washington said: "I think we'll deal with that tomorrow when we get here and see how he feels." (both quotes via Foul Territory)

Tragic stuff :(

The video of his fall is here

http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/texas-rangers-fan-dies-trying-catch-foul-ball-video-2812058.html

His landing is not

Edited by MDI, July 07, 2011 - 09:57 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Just tragic, but I don't really understand the "fell 20 feet behind a video board" part. Doesn't seem like you'd die from that height.

Didn't see the video, and don't plan to.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 07, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Just tragic, but I don't really understand the "fell 20 feet behind a video board" part. Doesn't seem like you'd die from that height.

Twenty feet is a fall high enough to cause internal bleeding and brain swelling. He landed head first, anyway.

#4 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts
  • Name:El Diablo
  • Fan Since:Birth aka 1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:19 PM

Damn I hope Hamilton doesn't blame himself.

Posted Image

#5 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:40 PM

Damn I hope Hamilton doesn't blame himself.

Yeah me too, the espn article said Ron Washington was considering giving him the day off tomorrow if he needs it. Just terrible stuff. And the man's kid was right there when it happened.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#6 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,806 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 01:17 AM

damn he went head first :/

Posted Image

Edited by pkflyers, July 08, 2011 - 01:20 AM.

13z8pc6.jpg

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,592 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 08, 2011 - 02:45 AM

Tragic...

Im glad this does not happen more often.
Life is so fragile

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,396 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 06:19 AM

Considering he fell head first onto concrete, it seems very likely that one could die from that.

Honestly, its such a tragic story and just add in the fact that his young son was with him at the game. Just horrible.

#9 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,058 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 08:00 PM

Can't imagine how his son feels :cry:

#10 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 908 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted July 09, 2011 - 10:33 AM

This is very sad. Poor guy was trying to get a ball, probably for his son, and pays for it with his life. Terrible accident.

#11 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have had seats near the railing before and always thought of this danger when leaning over. I had it in my mind to keep one hand on the rail and try to catch the ball with the other hand.

Sad Sad story.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users