16 replies to this topic

#1 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:00 PM

I don't love the deal, but there doesn't seem like there are many PGs available. I might have thought about this mainly because I hate the thought of Fisher starting for the Lakers again. I know the Lakers lose out on the deal, but by how much? I know he was great in 08-09. Has he gotten close to that form again?

He's a good shooter and scorer in general, but I hear his defense is terrible.

Maybe he's available because they are tied down to Arenas?

Anything centered around Odom and Nelson and these players works because both sides have sizeable trade exceptions. The maximum benefit for the Lakers would be this, but feel free to subtract players from each side if it's not reasonable.

Lakers get:

Jameer Nelson
Ryan Anderson
Brandon Bass
$5.26 mil trade exception

Magic get:

Lamar Odom
Luke Walton
Steve Blake

Lamar is the best player in the deal, but they get an exception and get rid of Luke Walton and Steve Blake. Lakers get 2 PFs, one can play spot minutes at C.

Edited by Japago, July 14, 2011 - 01:37 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,983 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Nobody on Gods Green Earth wants luke wackton and steve blank. Hopefully the new CBA will let the Lakers kick em off the team

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#3 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,670 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:14 PM

Magic would never do this. Walton and Blake haven't done crap,..it's like trading for Odom alone.

#4 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:19 PM

Well, since both sides have trade exceptions, lots of different variations centering around Odom and Nelson work. Any of them you guys like?

Posted Image

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:35 PM

I dont like Nelson at all. He is too short and cant defend. He is an upgrade over Fish and Blake though and the Magic are looking to shed salaries. Jameer and Brandon Bass for Odom is something worth looking at.

#6 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts
  • Name:Superior Mastiffs
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted July 07, 2011 - 08:17 AM

I dont like Nelson at all. He is too short and cant defend. He is an upgrade over Fish and Blake though and the Magic are looking to shed salaries. Jameer and Brandon Bass for Odom is something worth looking at.

I agree with the short and cant defend, we would improve on the offensive end but not on defense so I say dont get him

#7 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 01:05 PM

I think Odom is definitely worth more than Nelson, so I think Lakers should at least get Bass as well. Maybe the Lakers could get rid of their bad contracts too.

I agree that I want the PG to be able to play D as well, but the Lakers are running out of options. The Rockets have 3 PGs, but they also have 3 PFs. I've read that the Jazz want to get rid of Jefferson or Milsap, so I don't know if they'll want Odom for Harris. I think he would complement Jefferson better than Milsap, but they won't entertain getting Odom without making another move first. I haven't read about Lou Williams being available.

Obviously, if Odom is involved in getting back a star player, I would much rather do those moves. I'm suggesting this more as a contingency plan.

Posted Image

#8 T-Time

T-Time

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Name:Trevor
  • Fan Since:1989

Posted July 10, 2011 - 12:12 AM

Nobody on Gods Green Earth wants luke wackton and steve blank. Hopefully the new CBA will let the Lakers kick em off the team

That is for darn certain. Why would Orlando want one, let alone both?

#9 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:48 AM

That is for darn certain. Why would Orlando want one, let alone both?

I'm thinking they're getting the best player in the deal. In terms of Odom for Nelson and Bass, I think the Magic still come out ahead on that. So, make them take at least one of the Lakers' bad contracts.

Posted Image

#10 T-Time

T-Time

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Name:Trevor
  • Fan Since:1989

Posted July 12, 2011 - 01:59 PM

I'm thinking they're getting the best player in the deal. In terms of Odom for Nelson and Bass, I think the Magic still come out ahead on that. So, make them take at least one of the Lakers' bad contracts.

They do get the best player in the deal, but getting Walton/Blake doesn't exactly appease Howard. And Odom is nearing his mid-30s, so the Magic won't have him for much longer if he does resign with them.

#11 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:17 PM

They do get the best player in the deal, but getting Walton/Blake doesn't exactly appease Howard. And Odom is nearing his mid-30s, so the Magic won't have him for much longer if he does resign with them.

They can pick up his option if they want him for another year. He's not near his mid-30s quite yet. He's 31, only 2 years older than Jameer. Jameer's contract is only for 2 more years, so it's the same if they decide to keep Odom longer. I think Odom for Nelson and Bass at least can be done. I think the Magic still win that one, so I think the Lakers can make them take back a bad contract too. But if not, I think Nelson is a starting PG for the Lakers and Bass will make the Lakers not have to use up their MLE to look for a replacement.

Edited by Japago, July 12, 2011 - 07:27 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:56 PM

They can pick up his option if they want him for another year. He's not near his mid-30s quite yet. He's 31, only 2 years older than Jameer. Jameer's contract is only for 2 more years, so it's the same if they decide to keep Odom longer. I think Odom for Nelson and Bass at least can be done. I think the Magic still win that one, so I think the Lakers can make them take back a bad contract too. But if not, I think Nelson is a starting PG for the Lakers and Bass will make the Lakers not have to use up their MLE to look for a replacement.

Odom is 32

#13 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 09:58 PM

Odom is 32

He's 31 until November 6.

Posted Image

#14 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:52 AM

He's 31 until November 6.

OK he will turn 32 a couple of days after the season is suppose to start he will still be 32 all but a couple of days next season. Thats what teams look at

#15 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 02:19 AM

OK he will turn 32 a couple of days after the season is suppose to start he will still be 32 all but a couple of days next season. Thats what teams look at

I hear you. You should have made that point originally though instead of just saying he's 32 when he's not.

Posted Image

#16 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:11 AM

I hear you. You should have made that point originally though instead of just saying he's 32 when he's not.

My problem with Jameer is he will be 30 in Feb, Point guards start slowing down in their 30tys. Some can last longer because their tall like J Kidd and Billups, nelson is too short and in a year or so he will be to slow to guard those quick young guards Plus he keeps getting injured

#17 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 12:44 PM

My problem with Jameer is he will be 30 in Feb, Point guards start slowing down in their 30tys. Some can last longer because their tall like J Kidd and Billups, nelson is too short and in a year or so he will be to slow to guard those quick young guards Plus he keeps getting injured

He's looked good recently. He only missed 6 games last season. Lamar has been much more durable throughout his career though for sure. He's not very good defensively anyway, so the Lakers would get him knowing that. He's an improvement just for his offense.

Like I said though, I agree he has his drawbacks. I would really prefer the PG to be able to play D. But, the Lakers need to replace Fisher because he's a void on both sides of the ball now and the Lakers are running out of options. I also like the deal because Lakers would be able to use their MLE on any position instead of using it to try to find Odom's replacement.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users