#1 Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Rookie

• 156 posts
  • Name:Vince
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 29, 2011 - 02:42 PM

Pretty straight forward trade. Memphis sends us M. Gasol and Rudy Gay for Bynum and Artest. Marc teams with his big bro to give us toughness and size, while at the same time hopefully bringing out the best in Pau. Gay gives us scoring and some athleticism at the 3 spot. Memphis gets out of Gays big contract while replacing Gasol in the middle with Bynum, who has much higher upside and could eventually turn into a superstar alongside Z-Bo. Artest adds to their defensive game plan and should find his shot playing outside of the triangle. Maybe we could even convince Memphis to throw in OJ Mayo for Shannon Brown and picks, where Mayo can start at PG or create his own shot off the bench.

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 29, 2011 - 03:05 PM

I would do it...would be nice, but Memphis just gave Gay that contract, and for a reason. Marc Gasol is already a proven starting center capable of putting up 15/11 on any given night (I believe those were his playoff numbers, also). He's healthier than Drew, and gave Memphis almost 36 minutes a night last year (something I've yet to see Andrew do for us, due to foul trouble and injuries).

Plus, getting Ron wouldn't make sense for the Grizz. They have Battier and Young at the three (drafting Selby just gave them another reason to permanently move Young up to the SF spot, while Allen and Mayo take the two, along with Henry and Vasquez).

I'd love to have Marc Gasol, but I doubt they deal him to anyone. They are looking to re-sign him. Conley, Gay and Gasol were rumored to be their future core, the three that Memphis made all of these big moves for in the end, and as of today, two of them have been handed big, long-term contracts. Marc is next in line.

#3 Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Rookie

• 156 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 03:17 PM

Memphis was listening to offers for Gay all season long. Since Gasol is a restricted FA they could match any offer given to him, but only to a certain extent (Gays and Conley's contracts really prevent then from offering Gasol what's he's worth). There most likely going to lose him for nothing so might as well get Bynum in return. Battiers a FA so they could use Artest, who's still a better defender than Shane at this point in his career. Plus without Gays and Marc Gasols contract they'll have enough to pay Z-Bo. A Bynum, Randolph, and Conley gives them a good, young core to build with.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted June 29, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Memphis was listening to offers for Gay all season long.

According to who? The Grizzlies gave him the five-year deal on July 1st, 2010, which means they had to wait three months to even think about trading him, during a time where NBA free agents are looking for a place to play. Gay was wanted by many other teams, and if Memphis wanted to deal him, they could've just handed him over in a sign-and-trade.

I see no reason why the Grizz would give Gay a ridiculous contract, then, just months later, decide they were going to stick him on the block.

Since Gasol is a restricted FA they could match any offer given to him, but only to a certain extent (Gays and Conley's contracts really prevent then from offering Gasol what's he's worth).

That's not true, at all. The Grizzlies have Bird Rights on Gasol. They can offer the most money, and the longer contract (one extra year).

Even if Gasol was an Early Bird, they would still be able to offer more due to the Gilbert Arenas Provision (which limits teams that offer contracts to restricted free agents).

Memphis shouldn't be worried about cap space. Their payroll is at $37 million. They can re-sign Randolph and Gasol, together, and still be under the luxury tax threshold (and it doesn't matter anyway, because of Bird Rights). Conley isn't making THAT much money...he's actually at around $6-7 million, it's just a long-term deal.

There most likely going to lose him for nothing so might as well get Bynum in return.

Bad for Memphis, then, because Drew's contract has a team option of $16.4 million after next season. If the Grizzlies don't take that massive contract, and offer him an extension that will match or exceed it, he walks the following year (or, he walks after next year, assuming they don't exercise the option).

Battiers a FA so they could use Artest, who's still a better defender than Shane at this point in his career.

With a massive contract, three years of a total of $21.8 million. I would rather have Shane re-signed for far, far less.

Plus without Gays and Marc Gasols contract they'll have enough to pay Z-Bo.

As mentioned earlier, they are at $37 million for next season. They can re-sign Randolph for whatever he made last year (no idea why they would, but let's pretend), and that's around $17 million. That's $54 million, which is under last year's cap by $4 million. Gasol's offer sheet won't touch that kind of money just yet (by logic and by maximum salary rule, actually), and Memphis can most certainly match, because they have Bird Rights.

With Gasol and Randolph re-signed, the Grizzlies will still be under the luxury tax threshold. Over the cap, of course, but most teams are, and being over the cap means nothing when you have Bird Rights to re-sign your own guys. Nobody has any leverage, other than the Grizzlies. If they want to keep Gasol (and he'll be far cheaper than Drew), they'll keep him AND have money for Zach, not a problem at all. They'll also have money for Battier to re-sign, and even then, they can stay under last year's luxury tax threshold (it goes up every year).

Memphis has absolutely no reason to make this trade. I would trade Rudy Gay, just because I don't like him...but, then again, I would've never re-signed him if my mind was in that place, especially not to a five or six-year deal worth around $80+ million, making him VERY difficult to trade, just months before the season. Chris Wallace loves him, for some reason, and that's why it was done. Replacing Gasol with Drew (who is more expensive and more injured) and Gay with Artest (who is much older and just as impossible to trade, not to mention a worse player) doesn't make sense for them...which is why we would probably do it in a heartbeat.

#5 Daddy4MVP

Daddy4MVP

Rookie

• 353 posts
  • Fan Since:Always
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza 4 MVP

Posted June 29, 2011 - 11:01 PM

I hate to tell this to other delusional Laker fans, but Marc Gasol alone is now worth more than Bynum. Factoring in injury history/Gasols recent playoff success.

That being said, we would be lucky to get only Marc Gasol for Artest and Bynum let alone Rudy Gay although I would love to have him.
Posted Image

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 30, 2011 - 12:21 AM

There is no doubt that a frontcourt of Bynum and Zach would be interesting, perhaps unstoppable might be the right word, which is why Memphis might do it. They also would like to part ways with Gays insane contract now that Tony Allen suddently decided to be playing at an all-star level.

However, I do think Marc is a better fit alongside Zach. He can pass and shoot the jumper a little bit, which creates space for Zach.

I don't like this from a Lakers perspective. I like Gasol, he is durable and tough, and he may get Pau out of his recent funk. Also, he can play a full season, unlike Drew. Gay is the question-mark. Gay is a first to second option volume shooter, and we need someone who is a bit more effecient. It may be a good gamble, though. Gay improved quite a bit this season.

[expletive], I don't know. I think i say no.

#7 Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Rookie

• 156 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 12:38 AM

According to who? The Grizzlies gave him the five-year deal on July 1st, 2010, which means they had to wait three months to even think about trading him, during a time where NBA free agents are looking for a place to play. Gay was wanted by many other teams, and if Memphis wanted to deal him, they could've just handed him over in a sign-and-trade.

I see no reason why the Grizz would give Gay a ridiculous contract, then, just months later, decide they were going to stick him on the block.

That's not true, at all. The Grizzlies have Bird Rights on Gasol. They can offer the most money, and the longer contract (one extra year).

Even if Gasol was an Early Bird, they would still be able to offer more due to the Gilbert Arenas Provision (which limits teams that offer contracts to restricted free agents).

Memphis shouldn't be worried about cap space. Their payroll is at $37 million. They can re-sign Randolph and Gasol, together, and still be under the luxury tax threshold (and it doesn't matter anyway, because of Bird Rights). Conley isn't making THAT much money...he's actually at around $6-7 million, it's just a long-term deal.

Bad for Memphis, then, because Drew's contract has a team option of $16.4 million after next season. If the Grizzlies don't take that massive contract, and offer him an extension that will match or exceed it, he walks the following year (or, he walks after next year, assuming they don't exercise the option).

With a massive contract, three years of a total of $21.8 million. I would rather have Shane re-signed for far, far less.

As mentioned earlier, they are at $37 million for next season. They can re-sign Randolph for whatever he made last year (no idea why they would, but let's pretend), and that's around $17 million. That's $54 million, which is under last year's cap by $4 million. Gasol's offer sheet won't touch that kind of money just yet (by logic and by maximum salary rule, actually), and Memphis can most certainly match, because they have Bird Rights.

With Gasol and Randolph re-signed, the Grizzlies will still be under the luxury tax threshold. Over the cap, of course, but most teams are, and being over the cap means nothing when you have Bird Rights to re-sign your own guys. Nobody has any leverage, other than the Grizzlies. If they want to keep Gasol (and he'll be far cheaper than Drew), they'll keep him AND have money for Zach, not a problem at all. They'll also have money for Battier to re-sign, and even then, they can stay under last year's luxury tax threshold (it goes up every year).

Memphis has absolutely no reason to make this trade. I would trade Rudy Gay, just because I don't like him...but, then again, I would've never re-signed him if my mind was in that place, especially not to a five or six-year deal worth around $80+ million, making him VERY difficult to trade, just months before the season. Chris Wallace loves him, for some reason, and that's why it was done. Replacing Gasol with Drew (who is more expensive and more injured) and Gay with Artest (who is much older and just as impossible to trade, not to mention a worse player) doesn't make sense for them...which is why we would probably do it in a heartbeat.

All these rules only apply under the old CBA, who knows what's going to happen under the new one. Hopefully nothing drastic and big

#8 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,022 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 30, 2011 - 05:12 PM

That would be a great duo, the Gasol brothers. Rudy Gay is an interesting scorer and should be a future all-star player. Do it mitch :rock:

Also read the title of your thread :laughing: :laughing:

#9 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Sure you would take Gay over Artest but would you do it if it cost your team 100 million dollars? That is what it would take if you are the lakers and you know you had to pay the lux tax. I guess if it ain't your money why do you care, right?

As far as Marc for Bynum. No way would you do that straight up unless you are delusional. Do that trade straight up and you will find Memphis punking the Lakers in 6 games. Zack Randolph would punk Pau as usual and Bynum would punk little brother Marc in the paint. Bynum is both a better offensive and defensive player than Marc. Bynum would flourish with Memphis. Imagine Bynum with a true point guard in Conley who is willing to feed him the ball (unlike laker guards) and to have Battier and T. Allen defending. If you think Bynum was a good defensive center now, he would be sick under an athletic smart team like the grizzlies. Marc is a solid 15/10 guy but Bynum would be a 20/10 guy on the grizzlies. Lakers would never do that trade.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#10 kingkobe

kingkobe

Rookie

• 385 posts
  • Name:ry
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:luke walton

Posted July 04, 2011 - 12:35 PM

lol i like how yall mock my threads then come up with trades like this memphis would have no interest in artest and gasol and randolph like eachother and play good with eachother

so memphis would get a center tht is always injured got ejected from finals for tackling someone and a crazy old artest

and we would get a center coming off one of his best seasons and a younger better small foward in rudy gay sounds liek memphis would really want tht

#11 T-Time

T-Time

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Name:Trevor
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 10, 2011 - 12:14 AM

I hate to tell this to other delusional Laker fans, but Marc Gasol alone is now worth more than Bynum. Factoring in injury history/Gasols recent playoff success.

That being said, we would be lucky to get only Marc Gasol for Artest and Bynum let alone Rudy Gay although I would love to have him.

Not so sure he's worth just as much as Bynum, but it might be pretty close. Also, Gay >>>>> Artest at this point. No way Memphis agrees to this.

#12 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,722 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:36 AM

Sure you would take Gay over Artest but would you do it if it cost your team 100 million dollars? That is what it would take if you are the lakers and you know you had to pay the lux tax. I guess if it ain't your money why do you care, right?

As far as Marc for Bynum. No way would you do that straight up unless you are delusional. Do that trade straight up and you will find Memphis punking the Lakers in 6 games. Zack Randolph would punk Pau as usual and Bynum would punk little brother Marc in the paint. Bynum is both a better offensive and defensive player than Marc. Bynum would flourish with Memphis. Imagine Bynum with a true point guard in Conley who is willing to feed him the ball (unlike laker guards) and to have Battier and T. Allen defending. If you think Bynum was a good defensive center now, he would be sick under an athletic smart team like the grizzlies. Marc is a solid 15/10 guy but Bynum would be a 20/10 guy on the grizzlies. Lakers would never do that trade.

Bynum punking Marc? I doubt it. Bynum cannot even play the same amount of mins.
Posted Image

#13 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:07 AM

Bynum punking Marc? I doubt it. Bynum cannot even play the same amount of mins.

Bynum is clearly the better player. Better offensively especially in the paint and defensively. Give him a point guard like Conley and memphis would punk the lakers.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#14 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts
  • Name:Superior Mastiffs
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted July 10, 2011 - 01:23 PM

Bynum is clearly the better player. Better offensively especially in the paint and defensively. Give him a point guard like Conley and memphis would punk the lakers.

Bynum is better than Mark gasol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users