12 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,565 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 19, 2011 - 04:17 AM

We need a PG that is not 100 years old (sorry Fish, you've been awesome for a long time, and even played well this post-season, but you shouldn't be starting).

The future PG on the Lakers should be able to:

1. Handle the ball, and orchestrate the offense. I.e. get the ball to the bigs and to Kobe in his spots.
2. Play lock-down defense on the opposing PGs (and preferrably SGs as well).
3. Be a knock-down 3-point shooter, that can play off the ball.
4. Be able to drive the lane, and create havoc in the defense of opposing teams.
5. Be a four scoring option behind Kobe, Pau and Bynum.

That sure as hell does not sound like a description of Monta Ellis' game, does it?
Don't get me wrong, Monta Ellis is an awesome player, but he's an undersized SG. He'd be perfect next to a big PG like Russell Westbrook or Tyreke Evans, or in a Mike D'Antoni run-and-gun system.

But not the Lakers....

Anyone agrees, or is it just me???

#2 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted June 19, 2011 - 04:41 AM

The reason why Ellis would be a good fit is because he'd take a lot of pressure off Kobe.

#3 source24

source24

Self Proclaimed Genius

• 450 posts
  • Name:Call me Smurf.
  • Fan Since:I saw Kobe's Windmill dunk back in 1997.
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:16 AM

The reason why Ellis would be a good fit is because he'd take a lot of pressure off Kobe.

And Fisher.

Posted Image

I piss excellence: check me out @source24 or http://source24.tumblr.com on Tumblr angelmaker666 on deviantart, or maybe even on Youtube.
Someday, I will have nothing to lose. I cannot wait.

#4 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts
  • Name:Superior Mastiffs
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:52 AM

We need a PG that is not 100 years old (sorry Fish, you've been awesome for a long time, and even played well this post-season, but you shouldn't be starting).

The future PG on the Lakers should be able to:

1. Handle the ball, and orchestrate the offense. I.e. get the ball to the bigs and to Kobe in his spots.
2. Play lock-down defense on the opposing PGs (and preferrably SGs as well).
3. Be a knock-down 3-point shooter, that can play off the ball.
4. Be able to drive the lane, and create havoc in the defense of opposing teams.
5. Be a four scoring option behind Kobe, Pau and Bynum.

That sure as hell does not sound like a description of Monta Ellis' game, does it?
Don't get me wrong, Monta Ellis is an awesome player, but he's an undersized SG. He'd be perfect next to a big PG like Russell Westbrook or Tyreke Evans, or in a Mike D'Antoni run-and-gun system.

But not the Lakers....

Anyone agrees, or is it just me???

Monta Ellis played 4 years as a point guard in high school then went straight to the pros as the warriors 40 pick. In high school Monta Ellis averaged 36pt and had a 72 pt game. When the warriors drafted him they had Davis and Fisher who were in there prime so he warmed the bench. When they both got hurt he took over as point guard and did quite well. The next year they shipped out Richardson and decided to put Ellis as shooting guard. Ellis can play both positions but his natural position is point guard! He would be a great fit for the Lakers at the point after all it is his natural position..

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,565 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 19, 2011 - 01:42 PM

Monta Ellis played 4 years as a point guard in high school then went straight to the pros as the warriors 40 pick. In high school Monta Ellis averaged 36pt and had a 72 pt game. When the warriors drafted him they had Davis and Fisher who were in there prime so he warmed the bench. When they both got hurt he took over as point guard and did quite well. The next year they shipped out Richardson and decided to put Ellis as shooting guard. Ellis can play both positions but his natural position is point guard! He would be a great fit for the Lakers at the point after all it is his natural position..

He may have been good in high-school, but I dont see what that has to do with anything. Kwame Brown was also good in high school.

All I'm saying is that he is a bad fit on the Lakers, and we would be better off with a guy like Rodney Stuckey who can be had i free agency.

Why ship away good assets like Lamar or Pau for a guy that doesn't really fit the system, when you can 1) make trades that could land you Ray Felton AND Birdman, or 2) sign a guy like Rodney Stuckey in free agency.
You could perhaps trade Artest for Lou Williams straight up?

#6 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 01:48 PM

He may have been good in high-school, but I dont see what that has to do with anything. Kwame Brown was also good in high school.

All I'm saying is that he is a bad fit on the Lakers, and we would be better off with a guy like Rodney Stuckey who can be had i free agency.

Why ship away good assets like Lamar or Pau for a guy that doesn't really fit the system, when you can 1) make trades that could land you Ray Felton AND Birdman, or 2) sign a guy like Rodney Stuckey in free agency.
You could perhaps trade Artest for Lou Williams straight up?

I don't see how he would be a bad fit of the 1 thru 5 you had listed no.3 was his week point by shooting 36%. I believe on the Lakers his % would go up because he would have a better cast of players. A better staff to work with as well

Edited by Mr.know.it.all, June 19, 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#7 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,787 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted June 19, 2011 - 01:48 PM

acquiring any other super star would take pressure off of kobe. but i'd rather have cp3, deron, or dwight over monta

2div

#8 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 02:47 PM

acquiring any other super star would take pressure off of kobe. but i'd rather have cp3, deron, or dwight over monta

I would too but if we cant I would take Monta

#9 androsays

androsays

• 4,787 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 04:25 PM

if we can't make any moves for cp3, deron or dwight THIS year, i'd rather wait for 2012 then jump the gun on monta. but i feel we have a very good chance of getting one of the three

2div

#10 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 07:24 PM

if we can't make any moves for cp3, deron or dwight THIS year, i'd rather wait for 2012 then jump the gun on monta. but i feel we have a very good chance of getting one of the three

if we wait to 2012 we probably wont be able to get a top tier Point guard

#11 androsays

androsays

• 4,787 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:31 PM

we can get dwight still

2div

#12 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 06:17 AM

we can get dwight still

Only if he agreed to a sign and trade

#13 T-Time

T-Time

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Name:Trevor
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 13, 2011 - 11:18 PM

He can play both positions, but I just think he's too ball heavy. He needs the ball in his hands a lot of the time to be effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users