Photo

Magic Johnson Rips KTLK Over "Faked AIDS" Comment

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,703 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 09, 2008 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image

Magic Johnson rips KTLK over “faked AIDS" comment
Posted on October 9th, 2008 – 6:10 PM
By Michael Rand
We don’t usually post this late — the evening is reserved for revelry and snacks — but we thought we should pass along a press release we just received from PR folks about comments made yesterday on KTLK, a local radio station, about retired NBA great Magic Johnson. Here is the full release:

Today, in response to an item from Media Matters for America documenting KTLK radio hosts Chris Baker and Langdon Perry agreeing that “Magic faked AIDS,� former basketball star and philanthropist Earvin “Magic" Johnson denounced the comments as callous and insensitive to those suffering from HIV/AIDS.

“I am extremely disappointed in KTLK in Minneapolis. I am outraged that Chris Baker and Langdon Perry would minimize such a serious and deadly issue. Millions are dying from HIV/AIDS and the fact that they would make jokes about my status is unbelievable," Johnson said. “Chris, Langdon and KTLK should use their power in a more positive light by encouraging people to get tested for this disease instead of making up such ridiculous lies."

During the October 8 broadcast of KTLK’s The Chris Baker Show, Perry asked: “What about diseases that are eminently treatable and you can live with for a long, long time quite healthily if you just get some basic drugs?" Baker interjected, “like Magic Johnson," to which Perry replied, “Like Magic with his faked AIDS." After Baker asked, “You think Magic faked AIDS for sympathy?" Perry stated, “I’m convinced that Magic faked AIDS." Baker replied, “Yeah, me too." Perry added: “It falls apart when you get into motivation. I’m not sure why, but I’m pretty sure he faked AIDS. … Cause he’s the only cured AIDS guy ever."

The transcript and audio are at the above link. Insensitive, unfunny and worthy of ripping. No more needs to be said by us. Perhaps you have some thoughts, though.

http://ww3.startribu...d-aids-comment/

#2 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Try getting AIDS and then fake it...you probably may not live as long as Magic does.

#3 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:34 PM

wow i smell a lawsuit brewing cuz that sounds like slander
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#4 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted October 10, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Another dumbasss comment from a midwest radio show. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Many ignorant people in this world.

I'm glad Magic is standing up for all those who are suffering from this devastating illness.

#5 piXie

piXie

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Fisher,&FARMAR!

Posted October 10, 2008 - 02:43 PM

i just cannot believe these ignorant and disrespectful people!! :evil: :rock: :P :rock:

oh my gosh!! i am speechless!! especially people in the public! it is so awful and so disgraceful....

i hope they learn their lesson

#6 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 10, 2008 - 03:09 PM

Disclaimer: I'm a huge Magic fan...he's the reason I'm a Lakers fan...the proceeding is not to give credence to anything said on a radio show...

Devil's Advocate: Magic is the only person I have heard of who has had an undetectable Viral Load for going on 2 decades...that's amazing.

I don't think he faked it but I DEFINITELY think he got some treatment that's not being shared with the general public.

But there are miracles...miracles everyday.

#7 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted October 11, 2008 - 12:12 AM

Article

MINNEAPOLIS -- Magic Johnson criticized a pair of talk show hosts Friday for accusing him of faking AIDS but said he didn't want them to be fired.

Chris Baker and Langdon Perry of KTLK in Minneapolis made the remarks during Baker's conservative radio show on Wednesday. After Johnson condemned the statements, the station said it regretted "some offhand remarks" by the pair.

"We can't have people out here making false statements and putting out bad information, because this battle is too big when it comes to HIV and AIDS," Johnson told The Associated Press in a telephone interview."I poured my life into it and a lot of other people have poured their life into it, into getting out the right information so people can protect themselves and know what HIV and AIDS is all about."

Johnson called the remarks "so stupid," and said he hadn't heard from the station. He also wants the hosts to keep their jobs.

"I would rather they educate their audience," he said.

According to a partial transcript and audio clip posted on a media watchdog site, mediamatters.org, the remarks came after a caller asserted that health care isn't a basic right. Perry responded by asking about treatable diseases that a person can live with for a long time "if you just get some basic drugs."

Baker responded, "Like Magic Johnson?"

Perry replied, "Like Magic with his faked AIDS. Magic faked AIDS."

Baker said, "You think Magic faked AIDS for sympathy?"

Perry replied, "I'm convinced that Magic faked AIDS."

"Me too," Baker said.

Johnson was diagnosed with HIV in 1991 and then retired from the NBA at 32.

KTLK's statement said it recognized the seriousness of AIDS and the "great work" Johnson has done to call attention to the disease.

"We regret that some offhand remarks by commentators on KTLK did not reflect that," the statement said. "To better inform our listeners and employees, KTLK will be airing HIV/AIDS awareness public service announcements, and will be reaching out to Mr. Johnson to get his thoughts on education efforts."

Program director Steve Versnick said the station wouldn't comment beyond the statement.

Johnson, 49, said his health is "wonderful." He also noted that he has HIV, not AIDS.

"You have incredible drugs now," he said. "I'm working out every day."

Posted Image

#8 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Rookie

• 238 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem

Posted October 11, 2008 - 12:23 AM

There are documented cases of African prostitutes who have maintained HIV immunity for years despite being continually exposed to the virus, only to become infected once they stopped being exposed (hinting that the virus was there yet indetectable). There are people who get the virus and never develop AIDS despite not being treated. The point is, there's still a lot we don't know about HIV/AIDS and there are many cases that deviate from the norm. Magic might be one of those lucky people with genetic advantages against the virus, after all, it's just as likely for him to have those natural defenses as it is for any junkie sleeping in a cardboard box.

And of course, he might have just been lucky for being in a world-class-athlete physical shape, being wealthy and well-connected enough to access treatment not available to the general public back then, and above all, being tested and treated early. Remember, back in the early 90's most people only knew they had HIV when they noticed the first symptoms of AIDS.

Regardless, the point is Magic is winning the Powerball (so far), and the only practical lessons that can be learned from his own personal story are: get tested, have a healthy lifestyle and avoid risky behavior. Which are the messages he's spreading worldwide and which are weakened by these boneheads who surely know less about HIV/AIDS than any random prostitute in L.A.

#9 LOdieschick07

LOdieschick07

Queen Laker Girl

• 4,102 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Lamar Odom

Posted October 11, 2008 - 12:17 PM

a lot of people think HIV and AIDS are the same thing... AIDS comes from HIV.. there are people who are HIV positive but don't have AIDS... thought I'd share.
Posted Image

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 12, 2008 - 02:18 AM

For those that didn't know:

HIV could possibly be cured with gene therapy.

HIV depends on certain receptors (CCR5 for one, to be exact) to gain access to the T-cell. Without it, you can NOT get AIDS...

I don't care HOW much of the virus is floating in your body!!!!!!

What was strange was Bush canned the stem cell research right around the time this was getting major pub. I guess they wanted to practice "tough love" on us also...

There are people who have a natural immunity to HIV, based on a concentration of the mutant CCR5 gene that allowed some CAUCASIAN people to survive the Black Plague. But it is HIGHLY unlikely that Magic INHERITED a copy of that gene.

BOUGHT? Maybe.

With STATE OF THE ART treatment (without gene therapy), many people can live for VERY long periods of time with a low-to-undetectable Viral Load...but it is not likely that current treatment regimens CURE HIV or AIDS.

With Gene Therapy and Stem Cell Research (still theoretical / unsubstantiated, not by choice), AIDS would go the way of Small Pox or Polio...

Bring Back Stem Cell Research and GENE Therapy!!!! (Gene Therapy is not enough by itself)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users