DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Ok, as i've mentioned before.

This 3-way-trade would be awesome:

Lakers get Michael Beasley and Serge Ibaka.
OKC get Kevin Love
Minnesota get James Harden and Lamar Odom.

While Beasley and Ibaka both are inferior players than Odom, both have all-star potential, and can fill in defensive and offensive roles at the Laker-bench. Alternatively, they are good trade chips.
OKC would be able to pair Westbrook with a fellow UCLA-player. New big three in Love-Westbrook-Durant, that they can build around.
Minnesota gets a needed SG i Harden, and a needed veteran in Odom. Love would leave as a free agent anyway.

Which team wouldn't do this one?

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:15 PM

Beasley has to start to be effective, and if we choose to start him, we'll have zero productivity off the bench.

The Thunder do the trade, for sure. Not so sure about the Wolves, though, because in making that trade, they lose any post presence they may have. Odom is basically a two-guard, the way he plays, and they have enough of that with Wesley Johnson and newly-acquired James Harden (assuming the trade happened).

#3 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:38 PM

That trade only favors Lakers. Love doesn't cover Ibaka and Harden's absence. Odom and Harden doesn't cover Love and Beasley's absence.

#4 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,708 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 10, 2011 - 10:03 PM

There is no way in hell that James Harden will get traded any time soon. To me he will be the 2nd best player on the Thunder if he's given a starting spot. He has great passing and he gets the team set on the half court, unlike Westbrook. They count on Harden way too much, it's not happening.

Minny will never trade away Love right after he pulled down numbers that made him look like Wilt out there. Again, not happening.

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 11:12 PM

First of all, nothing prevents Love from leaving Minnesota after the 2011-12 season. Why would he stay, when he could sign with any team he wants? If they can't keep Love, this is a really good deal for them. If they are smart, which they are not, they could also move Rubio for either a decent center or future picks.
Minnesota have no-one at the 2 (Westley Johnson is a year or two away, and he is more of a 3), and if they draft Derrick Williams, they will be stacked at the 4. With this trade they could play both Odom and Williams as both can play the 3 and 4. Odom also provides veteran presence, which they need.

James Harden is good, and so is Sergi Ibaka, but both can be replaced. They could sign Arron Afflalo or J.R. Smith to play the 2. Kevin Love is a unique player, the best rebounder in the country. Playing Westbrook, Thabo, Durant, Love and Perkins gives tem both defense, scoring, rebounding and 3-pointshooting.

Maybe Beasley does need to start to be effective, but why not start him at the 3, like Minnesota did, and try to move Artest for good PG (Lou Williams). Beasley is a massive talent and a match-up nightmare and probably just need to be contained. Also, when Bynum gets injured they can play small and start him at the 4, where he is most effective. Ibaka can provide defense at the 4 and 5 off the bench, when needed.

#6 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:00 PM

caca

#7 Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Rookie

• 156 posts
  • Name:Vince
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 13, 2011 - 08:58 PM

I love the trade on our end but I highly doubt that Minny would trade their best and 3rd best player for two 6th men. Now giving them Gasol instead of Odom would make them happy, but they'd definitely have to give us their 2nd pick in return. That would make the trade something like this.

Lakers get:
Serge Ibaka
2nd Pick
Michael Beasley
Flynn

We lose an all-pro talent but get younger, more athletic, and much needed flexibility. Ibaka starts and gives us better defense at the 4 while allowing Bynum to move up as our 2nd scoring option (which should put a huge smile on his and Jimmy Buss' face). With Flynn starting, Fisher provides much needed leadership on the bench, which also includes Shannon Brown, Barnes, Beasley, Odom, and the 2nd pick.

Minny gets:
Pau Gasol
J Harden
Ebanks

Lose their most popular player but get a 2nd team all-NBA player in Pau (not to mention a good buddy to Rubio) and a great talent in Harden. Harden really impressed alot of people in this years playoffs and has the potential to be an all star in the mold of a Joe Johnson. Ebanks is a throw-in who could actually turn out to be a better player than both Wesley Johnson and Flynn, who have lower cielings. Minny with a Rubio-Harden-Martell Webster-Gasol-Milicic starting five isnt going to be a playoff team but should give them a better squad than what they started with.

Thunder get:
Kevin Love
Wesley Johnson
Caracter

Thunder lose potential and athleticism but gain rebounding and scoring, which are two things that killed them in the playoffs. The good thing about Love is that even though he's a great rebounder, he doesn't need to play around the basket to be effective, which frees up space for Westbrook and Durant to work. A line up of Westbrook, Sefolosha, Durant, Love, and Perk would be downright scary.Wesley Johnson isn't the same player as Harden, but hes a good player who could help them off the bench. Caracter could be a Big Baby-type force off the bench if he ever gets his mind right.

I know people are going to kill this trade (especially the Gasol-lovers) but I think it improves all teams involved. I personally love this trade because it gives the Lakers the flexibility to make more trades in the future. First it makes Bynum the 2nd scoring option, which improves his stock and could eventually land us Dwight Howard. Lets say that Orlando struggles in the East while Bynum gets off to a hot start with averages of 20 points, 12 rebounds, and 2 plus blocks a game (which I think are actually low estimates). With a disgruntled Dwight already packing his bags, the Magic do the only thing they could do and trade him for the 2nd best center in the league straight up. With Ibaka and D Howard prowling the middle and blocking everything in sight, guards would be crazy to enter the paint (Jose Barea... get that weak stuff outta here!). The second reason I love this trade is we can either use the 2nd pick on a PG such as Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker, or trade it in a package for another PG. Maybe the 2nd pick, Odom, and Blake could get us CP3 or D Will, who knows...

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Really like your take on this trade, and using Pau instead of Odom might be a good idea, now that Rubio is coming over. However, I do think Minny would pull the trigger on the first one as well. Neither Odom and Harden are real 6th men, and both could start on most NBA teams. They are probably losing Love in free-agency and Beasley isn't part of their future plans anyway. With the second pick they build for the future, while Gasol is more of a 'now' player.

You made an excellent point; moving Bynum to being the second scoring option. That should be done regardless of any trade. Best case: he drops 20-12-2, as you said, and trading him to Orlando for Dwight will be a lot easier. I hate to do this as i'm a big fan of Bynum, but i'm a bigger fan of getting Kobe and the Lakers another ring, and Dwight is just a SAFER option.

#9 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts
  • Name:Superior Mastiffs
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted June 14, 2011 - 07:50 AM

I love the trade on our end but I highly doubt that Minny would trade their best and 3rd best player for two 6th men. Now giving them Gasol instead of Odom would make them happy, but they'd definitely have to give us their 2nd pick in return. That would make the trade something like this.

Lakers get:
Serge Ibaka
2nd Pick
Michael Beasley
Flynn

We lose an all-pro talent but get younger, more athletic, and much needed flexibility. Ibaka starts and gives us better defense at the 4 while allowing Bynum to move up as our 2nd scoring option (which should put a huge smile on his and Jimmy Buss' face). With Flynn starting, Fisher provides much needed leadership on the bench, which also includes Shannon Brown, Barnes, Beasley, Odom, and the 2nd pick.

Minny gets:
Pau Gasol
J Harden
Ebanks

Lose their most popular player but get a 2nd team all-NBA player in Pau (not to mention a good buddy to Rubio) and a great talent in Harden. Harden really impressed alot of people in this years playoffs and has the potential to be an all star in the mold of a Joe Johnson. Ebanks is a throw-in who could actually turn out to be a better player than both Wesley Johnson and Flynn, who have lower cielings. Minny with a Rubio-Harden-Martell Webster-Gasol-Milicic starting five isnt going to be a playoff team but should give them a better squad than what they started with.

Thunder get:
Kevin Love
Wesley Johnson
Caracter

Thunder lose potential and athleticism but gain rebounding and scoring, which are two things that killed them in the playoffs. The good thing about Love is that even though he's a great rebounder, he doesn't need to play around the basket to be effective, which frees up space for Westbrook and Durant to work. A line up of Westbrook, Sefolosha, Durant, Love, and Perk would be downright scary.Wesley Johnson isn't the same player as Harden, but hes a good player who could help them off the bench. Caracter could be a Big Baby-type force off the bench if he ever gets his mind right.

I know people are going to kill this trade (especially the Gasol-lovers) but I think it improves all teams involved. I personally love this trade because it gives the Lakers the flexibility to make more trades in the future. First it makes Bynum the 2nd scoring option, which improves his stock and could eventually land us Dwight Howard. Lets say that Orlando struggles in the East while Bynum gets off to a hot start with averages of 20 points, 12 rebounds, and 2 plus blocks a game (which I think are actually low estimates). With a disgruntled Dwight already packing his bags, the Magic do the only thing they could do and trade him for the 2nd best center in the league straight up. With Ibaka and D Howard prowling the middle and blocking everything in sight, guards would be crazy to enter the paint (Jose Barea... get that weak stuff outta here!). The second reason I love this trade is we can either use the 2nd pick on a PG such as Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker, or trade it in a package for another PG. Maybe the 2nd pick, Odom, and Blake could get us CP3 or D Will, who knows...

I really like your trade right here. People need to understand we have to get younger, more athletic and get knock down outside shooters otherwise we will be in a championship drought for quite some time! Fans want to hang onto Gasol and Odom because their still highly talented. Odom will be 33 next year and Gasol will be 32. We need to get our value for these guys right now! We have an opportunity to get younger more athletic and obtain a quality point guard! When your over thirty your skills can diminish over the off season case in point Artest.Also James Worthy, he had the quickest first step in the league, he was feared in the low post. The next thing you know he is only shooting 3's. He should of retired but didn't you cant blame him he was a life long Laker. Ive been a Lakers fan since 1970 and I have seen this time and time again a player have a great year then come back next season looking like he should retire! A lot of players over thirty don't take care of themselves in the off season thinking they can come back and play them selves into shape. I'm not saying all.. I'm also not saying Gasol and Odom are like this but big men are notorious for this.Ive heard it's a question of loyalty Gasol helped us win 2 championships, this year was a fluke because of off court issues. Kobe had worst off court issues and still did what he had to do. Kobe is the most dedicated ball player I have ever seen. Kobe helped us win 5. If its a question of loyalty then we need to do what it takes for Kobe to win more championships. That means everyone is expendable except him. We need the right pieces to win multiple championships not just keep Gasol and Odom and mabe just win one!

#10 Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Rookie

• 156 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 04:50 PM

I really like your trade right here. People need to understand we have to get younger, more athletic and get knock down outside shooters otherwise we will be in a championship drought for quite some time! Fans want to hang onto Gasol and Odom because their still highly talented. Odom will be 33 next year and Gasol will be 32. We need to get our value for these guys right now! We have an opportunity to get younger more athletic and obtain a quality point guard! When your over thirty your skills can diminish over the off season case in point Artest.Also James Worthy, he had the quickest first step in the league, he was feared in the low post. The next thing you know he is only shooting 3's. He should of retired but didn't you cant blame him he was a life long Laker. Ive been a Lakers fan since 1970 and I have seen this time and time again a player have a great year then come back next season looking like he should retire! A lot of players over thirty don't take care of themselves in the off season thinking they can come back and play them selves into shape. I'm not saying all.. I'm also not saying Gasol and Odom are like this but big men are notorious for this.Ive heard it's a question of loyalty Gasol helped us win 2 championships, this year was a fluke because of off court issues. Kobe had worst off court issues and still did what he had to do. Kobe is the most dedicated ball player I have ever seen. Kobe helped us win 5. If its a question of loyalty then we need to do what it takes for Kobe to win more championships. That means everyone is expendable except him. We need the right pieces to win multiple championships not just keep Gasol and Odom and mabe just win one!

I agree, people want to hold on to Gasol and Odom when there trade stock will never be higher than it is now. Gasol and Bynum have never really proved that they can play a whole year together and be effective (mostly due to Bynum being hurt), only in spurts. Everyone wants to point to the 17-1 run the Lakers had with them both playing, but the fact is that while Andrew's game was at an all-time high, Gasol was averaging less points and only pulling down 7 or 8 boards a game (which is unacceptable for a 7-footer). And as for Odom, even though he had a career year last season, I doubt he'll be able to play up to the same level this year. Hes bound to lose some athleticism as he gets up there in years, and for a player whose game revolves around his mobility, it won't be pretty when it does go. I say we trade them now while we could still get some good pieces for them.

#11 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 09:38 PM

I agree, people want to hold on to Gasol and Odom when there trade stock will never be higher than it is now. Gasol and Bynum have never really proved that they can play a whole year together and be effective (mostly due to Bynum being hurt), only in spurts. Everyone wants to point to the 17-1 run the Lakers had with them both playing, but the fact is that while Andrew's game was at an all-time high, Gasol was averaging less points and only pulling down 7 or 8 boards a game (which is unacceptable for a 7-footer). And as for Odom, even though he had a career year last season, I doubt he'll be able to play up to the same level this year. Hes bound to lose some athleticism as he gets up there in years, and for a player whose game revolves around his mobility, it won't be pretty when it does go. I say we trade them now while we could still get some good pieces for them.

Your a voice of reason The people who want to keep Gasol and Odom don't understand when it time to trade people before they lose their value. They see players like Dirk that are rare exceptions, Gasol and Odom are not rare exceptions. Dirk is a 7 footer power forward who plays mostly behind the arc. The only one his size at that position in the league is Gasol who is not defensive minded or quick of foot. Even when Dirk skills diminish he can still be a set and shoot guy like Jason Kidd for a while. Dirk's stroke is that pure. When the Lakers lost to the mavs what was the first thing out of Phil's mouth"The thought of a 3peet was enticing, I was hesitant to come back because this team had a bunch players over thirty." Mitch knows its time to trade Gasol and Odom and he will but only for the right deal. Mitch's statement about not trading any core bigs is just posturing. The Lakers organization doesn't want just 1 more Championship, they want multiply championships. Mitch knows what he must do to accomplish this, then again so do the other teams out there it will be interesting to see what happens

Edited by Mr.know.it.all, June 14, 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 10:45 PM

Your a voice of reason The people who want to keep Gasol and Odom don't understand when it time to trade people before they lose their value. They see players like Dirk that are rare exceptions, Gasol and Odom are not rare exceptions. Dirk is a 7 footer power forward who plays mostly behind the arc. The only one his size at that position in the league is Gasol who is not defensive minded or quick of foot. Even when Dirk skills diminish he can still be a set and shoot guy like Jason Kidd for a while. Dirk's stroke is that pure. When the Lakers lost to the mavs what was the first thing out of Phil's mouth"The thought of a 3peet was enticing, I was hesitant to come back because this team had a bunch players over thirty." Mitch knows its time to trade Gasol and Odom and he will but only for the right deal. Mitch's statement about not trading any core bigs is just posturing. The Lakers organization doesn't want just 1 more Championship, they want multiply championships. Mitch knows what he must do to accomplish this, then again so do the other teams out there it will be interesting to see what happens

The thing is; both Odom and Gasol both are extremely versatile and extremely talented. Both could play for yet a long time as their game is based on their skillset and not their physique. Actually it's their skill-set AND their height that makes them unique, but I don't see them getting shorter anytime soon.
However,
Odom should be traded, he does not have the mindset of a champion and the fact that he stars in a f-ucking reality-show is sickening.
I would be nervous about trading Pau, though. He would be the perfect complement to Dwight Howard, and basically: Winning a few more for the black mamba more or less hinges on getting another superstart to take over for Kobe.
Fact is: Kobe's window is closing and he is not 2006-kobe. But who is? Don't get me wrong, Kobe is still an elite player, and he is so insanely skilled and determined that he could play at all-star level until his late 50's by constantly adjusting his game. He'll still be the closer in the playoffs, but he needs someone on his team that can be the focal point of opposing team's defenses, so that Kobe can pick his spots.
Bynum could potentially be that guy going forward, but I don't know if I would trust his knees. Odom is not that guy, and Pau isn't either. But Pau is still an amazing basketball player and he should be untouchable. As i mentioned before, his game is based on his skills and height, not speed and strength. With his passing skills, his post-game and midrange jumper he would be devastating next to any superstat that they land, and landing another superstar is the only way we're winning more rings.

#13 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:26 AM

The thing is; both Odom and Gasol both are extremely versatile and extremely talented. Both could play for yet a long time as their game is based on their skillset and not their physique. Actually it's their skill-set AND their height that makes them unique, but I don't see them getting shorter anytime soon.
However,
Odom should be traded, he does not have the mindset of a champion and the fact that he stars in a f-ucking reality-show is sickening.
I would be nervous about trading Pau, though. He would be the perfect complement to Dwight Howard, and basically: Winning a few more for the black mamba more or less hinges on getting another superstart to take over for Kobe.
Fact is: Kobe's window is closing and he is not 2006-kobe. But who is? Don't get me wrong, Kobe is still an elite player, and he is so insanely skilled and determined that he could play at all-star level until his late 50's by constantly adjusting his game. He'll still be the closer in the playoffs, but he needs someone on his team that can be the focal point of opposing team's defenses, so that Kobe can pick his spots.
Bynum could potentially be that guy going forward, but I don't know if I would trust his knees. Odom is not that guy, and Pau isn't either. But Pau is still an amazing basketball player and he should be untouchable. As i mentioned before, his game is based on his skills and height, not speed and strength. With his passing skills, his post-game and midrange jumper he would be devastating next to any superstat that they land, and landing another superstar is the only way we're winning more rings.

Gasol and Odom are still good however that's not the point. We have to improve our bench with some young athletic knock down shooters and we need a point guard. We have to face the bottom line, The Lakers have been exposed. We can no longer do it with our without a quick point guard. Jason Terry said "we knew we could be the Lakers we seen something" What did Dallas see a slow point guard getting burn over and over a weak bench that couldn't buy an outside shot.. We have to improve and the only way is thru trades, lets face it no onw wants our bench players. Our core bigs are the only thing we have of value

#14 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 10:57 PM

Gasol and Odom are still good however that's not the point. We have to improve our bench with some young athletic knock down shooters and we need a point guard. We have to face the bottom line, The Lakers have been exposed. We can no longer do it with our without a quick point guard. Jason Terry said "we knew we could be the Lakers we seen something" What did Dallas see a slow point guard getting burn over and over a weak bench that couldn't buy an outside shot.. We have to improve and the only way is thru trades, lets face it no onw wants our bench players. Our core bigs are the only thing we have of value

Yes and No. We do need speed, youth and athleticism in the backcourt.

However, the size of the Lakers' frontline, our core bigs as you call it, is our biggest asset. The reason why the Lakers have won two, is because of this frontline, which is impossible to match, for any team. Pau playing the 4 is the key in the front court, because he is so skilled and such a matchup nightmare. But only when he plays the 4. Therefore we need Bynum and Pau, so they shouldn't be traded, unless we can land someone REALLY good.

I say put the reality stars Odom and Artest, as well as Ebanks, Caracter, Shannon Brown (sign-and-trade) and Steve Blake on the market.

ONLY USE PAU AND BYNUM IF IT'S AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE (A trade involving a CP3 or Dwight Howard).

#15 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:39 AM

Yes and No. We do need speed, youth and athleticism in the backcourt.

However, the size of the Lakers' frontline, our core bigs as you call it, is our biggest asset. The reason why the Lakers have won two, is because of this frontline, which is impossible to match, for any team. Pau playing the 4 is the key in the front court, because he is so skilled and such a matchup nightmare. But only when he plays the 4. Therefore we need Bynum and Pau, so they shouldn't be traded, unless we can land someone REALLY good.

I say put the reality stars Odom and Artest, as well as Ebanks, Caracter, Shannon Brown (sign-and-trade) and Steve Blake on the market.

ONLY USE PAU AND BYNUM IF IT'S AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE (A trade involving a CP3 or Dwight Howard).

The league has adjusted to our biggs they just body up our bigs and sag on Kobe and dare us to score from the outside. Our point guard problem and lack of shooters is why they can sag on Kobe. Solving our point guard problem is not enough we need a bench with some outside shooters otherwise we wil be done again next year. Trading only Odom will solve one of those problems, we need to solve both

#16 Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Vinnie PapaGiorgio

Rookie

• 156 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 12:22 PM

The league has adjusted to our biggs they just body up our bigs and sag on Kobe and dare us to score from the outside. Our point guard problem and lack of shooters is why they can sag on Kobe. Solving our point guard problem is not enough we need a bench with some outside shooters otherwise we wil be done again next year. Trading only Odom will solve one of those problems, we need to solve both

I kinda like Bill Plaschke's idea of trading Bynum and Odom for Dwight and Reddick. Even though Bynum is a good player when he's not injured, I just dont trust his knees for the next 5 years or so. Why not trade him for the most dominant big man in the game today. I'd hate to lose Odom, but at least we get the knock down three point shooter are team desperately needs in Reddick.

#17 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,678 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2011 - 12:50 PM

I kinda like Bill Plaschke's idea of trading Bynum and Odom for Dwight and Reddick. Even though Bynum is a good player when he's not injured, I just dont trust his knees for the next 5 years or so. Why not trade him for the most dominant big man in the game today. I'd hate to lose Odom, but at least we get the knock down three point shooter are team desperately needs in Reddick.

I really don't like this trade, who will backup for the PF and C position? Caracter hasn't proven much and Smith is a bum.

#18 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 02:22 PM

I really don't like this trade, who will backup for the PF and C position? Caracter hasn't proven much and Smith is a bum.

I like this trade if we can get a power forward and point guard for Gasol

#19 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:53 AM

First of all, I only think we can get Howard if we take on Hedo's contract, but if we could get Reddick instead that would be awesome.

Secondly, If we get Dwight Howard, then we would have hit the Jackpot. And finding back-up PF's and C's would be relatively easy. We could sign Troy Murphy or Erick Dampier for the veterans minimum or use Artest and Blake to get a good PF/C. Antawn Jamison for instance.

#20 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 11:23 AM

First of all, I only think we can get Howard if we take on Hedo's contract, but if we could get Reddick instead that would be awesome.

Secondly, If we get Dwight Howard, then we would have hit the Jackpot. And finding back-up PF's and C's would be relatively easy. We could sign Troy Murphy or Erick Dampier for the veterans minimum or use Artest and Blake to get a good PF/C. Antawn Jamison for instance.

If we can get CP3 and keep Bynum we can get Howard without any of their big contracts, Howard will force the magic to deal with us giving us the leverage

Edited by Mr.know.it.all, June 18, 2011 - 11:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users