#1 redman

redman

Rookie

• 15 posts
  • Name:Redman
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:01 PM

Could trade Odom/Artest/Walton for Ellis/JeremyLin/(Wright and/or Udoh to play backup forward alongside Landry)
.....That is if David West recovered and the Lakers were somehow able to sign Carl Landry, whose currently only getting 3mill a year.

Lakers NEED perimeter play, so a trade for Ellis is needed. Ellis wants the ball in his hands, so I think he could be their starting PG. trading the contracts of Artest/Walton is a now brainer, especially considering that Barnes is just as good or better than Artest, and Ebanks needs to get playing time next season.

It's always better to trade a player a year early than try to trade them a year late. Lamar is 31 and his versatility is fading. As he ages, he will become more of a rebounder/finisher, something which Landry could easily provide (see game 1 of hornets vs lakers series).

Ellis/Blake/Lin/Fisher
Kobe/Brown(hopefully J.R Smith?)
Barnes/Wright/Ebanks
Pau/Landry/Udoh
Bynum/FA back up center

Perimter play (Ellis//Lin) would be boosted, terrible contracts (Artest/Walton) would be shed, along with athleticism, youth, and rebounding being maintained and improved (Landry/Udoh/Wright replacing Odom).

#2 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,593 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:32 PM

Could trade Odom/Artest/Walton for Ellis/JeremyLin/(Wright and/or Udoh to play backup forward alongside Landry)
.....That is if David West recovered and the Lakers were somehow able to sign Carl Landry, whose currently only getting 3mill a year.

Lakers NEED perimeter play, so a trade for Ellis is needed. Ellis wants the ball in his hands, so I think he could be their starting PG. trading the contracts of Artest/Walton is a now brainer, especially considering that Barnes is just as good or better than Artest, and Ebanks needs to get playing time next season.

It's always better to trade a player a year early than try to trade them a year late. Lamar is 31 and his versatility is fading. As he ages, he will become more of a rebounder/finisher, something which Landry could easily provide (see game 1 of hornets vs lakers series).

Ellis/Blake/Lin/Fisher
Barnes/Wright/Ebanks
Pau/Landry/Udoh
Bynum/FA back up center

Perimter play (Ellis//Lin) would be boosted, terrible contracts (Artest/Walton) would be shed, along with athleticism, youth, and rebounding being maintained and improved (Landry/Udoh/Wright replacing Odom).

And why is it you think the warriors would want to give up two interesting young rookies, and take on Artest's and Walton's awfull contracts? Also, the salaries don't match. The warriors would have to throw in another player.
Odom for Ellis would be interesting to look at. While I think Ellis is a bit overrated, he would still be a massive upgrade over D-fish.
Why not trade artest straight up for Baron Davis, he has the same qualities as Ellis.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:42 PM

I'm not sure how high the Warriors are on Odom (they used to be), but I really doubt they take Artest and Walton. No team in the NBA wants Ron...dude is signed until 2014, which is three more cap-crippling seasons of around $7-8 million a year. Golden State would be getting ripped, severely.

With the offers they may be getting from the other 28 teams in the NBA, I'm not even sure they'll trade Monta for Odom at this point. Iguodala is a much better option because he's younger, plays defense, and fits better with Curry and their system. Granger could be an option. Minny is interested, and has pieces and a pick. David West could be an option in a S&T deal, beefing up the frontcourt a bit more in Oakland (their offense, anyway). Orlando has to make a move to keep Dwight, so I'm sure they are intrigued.

If Odom was a traditional post player, the Lakers would have more leverage. David Lee doesn't do enough down low to fill that need, and Andris Biedrins is completely worthless.

I really, really wish we didn't give Ron that huge contract. It's not exactly the money, but the length, that hurts the most. Walton was a mistake, and we know that, but Ron's contract stings a bit more right now, and if we want to get rid of it, we'll need to sacrifice a bit in a trade OR hope for the amnesty clause in the new CBA (and then have Ron re-sign for cheap).

#4 redman

redman

Rookie

• 15 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:44 PM

And why is it you think the warriors would want to give up two interesting young rookies, and take on Artest's and Walton's awfull contracts? Also, the salaries don't match. The warriors would have to throw in another player.
Odom for Ellis would be interesting to look at. While I think Ellis is a bit overrated, he would still be a massive upgrade over D-fish.
Why not trade artest straight up for Baron Davis, he has the same qualities as Ellis.

If that seems too onesided, what about Odom/Artest/Blake/Ebanks for Ellis/Lin/Udoh/Wright? I'd pull that IF Lakers could sign Landry...
Baron is 14mill/3yr and Artest is 6.3mill/4yr.And if Baron had any interest in winning a title, he would get in shape. If Lakers couldn't land Ellis, a last resort, in search for a PG would be Artest/Blake/Caracter for R. Felton/Birdman, or Harrington?

#5 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:47 PM

Next.

#6 redman

redman

Rookie

• 15 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:50 PM

I'm not sure how high the Warriors are on Odom (they used to be), but I really doubt they take Artest and Walton. No team in the NBA wants Ron...dude is signed until 2014, which is three more cap-crippling seasons of around $7-8 million a year. Golden State would be getting ripped, severely.

With the offers they may be getting from the other 28 teams in the NBA, I'm not even sure they'll trade Monta for Odom at this point. Iguodala is a much better option because he's younger, plays defense, and fits better with Curry and their system. Granger could be an option. Minny is interested, and has pieces and a pick. David West could be an option in a S&T deal, beefing up the frontcourt a bit more in Oakland (their offense, anyway). Orlando has to make a move to keep Dwight, so I'm sure they are intrigued.

If Odom was a traditional post player, the Lakers would have more leverage. David Lee doesn't do enough down low to fill that need, and Andris Biedrins is completely worthless.

I really, really wish we didn't give Ron that huge contract. It's not exactly the money, but the length, that hurts the most. Walton was a mistake, and we know that, but Ron's contract stings a bit more right now, and if we want to get rid of it, we'll need to sacrifice a bit in a trade OR hope for the amnesty clause in the new CBA (and then have Ron re-sign for cheap).

I think theyd be more wiling to take this....Odom/Artest/Blake/Ebanks for Ellis/Lin/Udoh/Wright...what do you think? I think Mark Jackson would like to see Odom, because without a doubt he needs to implement some game plan which emphasizes rebounding and defense.

Ellis for Iggy wont happen if the Kamen for Iggy talks are serious. Which they might be, Kamen brings the sixers their defensive starting big, opposed to Ellis who would bring undersized offense. would he fit next to williams and holiday?

Same thing is going to happen with Odom, need to trade him for a 25yr old Ellis before its too late and he has no trade value

#7 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 11:08 PM

I think theyd be more wiling to take this....Odom/Artest/Blake/Ebanks for Ellis/Lin/Udoh/Wright...what do you think? I think Mark Jackson would like to see Odom, because without a doubt he needs to implement some game plan which emphasizes rebounding and defense.

Ellis for Iggy wont happen if the Kamen for Iggy talks are serious. Which they might be, Kamen brings the sixers their defensive starting big, opposed to Ellis who would bring undersized offense. would he fit next to williams and holiday?

Same thing is going to happen with Odom, need to trade him for a 25yr old Ellis before its too late and he has no trade value

I'd think the Warriors would rather make an Odom/Blake for Ellis/Udoh deal...leave everyone else out of the equation. Again, Ron is just not good enough to take on that contract of his. Walton is worthless and close to retiring. Golden State wants to get rid of Ellis' three-year, $33 million deal (PO at the end of it, which he'll take if he's smart), and getting back Ron's long-term deal is a step backwards.

The Kaman/Iggy trade isn't for a productive Kaman to come in and provide for the Sixers. Philly wants the $12 million expiring contract (expires after next season). If there's an amnesty clause in the new CBA, it's even better, because they'll be able to waive him immediately.

However, those talks may not be too serious, because word is that the Sixers are also looking for a pick from the Clips, and I'm not sure if that happens. It could be the Minny pick...and a lot of people completely forgot about it, but it's the pick that the Clippers acquired by trading Jaric to the Wolves, protected up until 2012. The Clips are salivating with it.

#8 redman

redman

Rookie

• 15 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 11:17 PM

I'd think the Warriors would rather make an Odom/Blake for Ellis/Udoh deal...leave everyone else out of the equation. Again, Ron is just not good enough to take on that contract of his. Walton is worthless and close to retiring. Golden State wants to get rid of Ellis' three-year, $33 million deal (PO at the end of it, which he'll take if he's smart), and getting back Ron's long-term deal is a step backwards.

The Kaman/Iggy trade isn't for a productive Kaman to come in and provide for the Sixers. Philly wants the $12 million expiring contract (expires after next season). If there's an amnesty clause in the new CBA, it's even better, because they'll be able to waive him immediately.

However, those talks may not be too serious, because word is that the Sixers are also looking for a pick from the Clips, and I'm not sure if that happens. It could be the Minny pick...and a lot of people completely forgot about it, but it's the pick that the Clippers acquired by trading Jaric to the Wolves, protected up until 2012. The Clips are salivating with it.

I think a Odom/Blake for Ellis/Udoh deal would be the right decision if David West recovered and Lakers signed Landry. That's a huge if though.
I just dont see who could be that perimeter player they could bring in, since Chris Paul looks to be unattainable. Would you ever consider Rudy Gay?
So if the Sixers just want to sign and waive Kamen, then that means they wouldnt trade for Ellis because he's signed for 3 more years...?

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 05:54 AM

I think a Odom/Blake for Ellis/Udoh deal would be the right decision if David West recovered and Lakers signed Landry. That's a huge if though.

Well, it's highly unlikely because I'm not really sure how the Lakers are going to sign Landry. I keep reading posts by members who want it to happen, but with what salary cap space? Landry isn't going to take the MLE, and for all we know, we may not have an MLE next season (no team may have one).

Right now, Landry is playing on a $3 million salary. There's no doubt in my mind a team will offer more than $6 million a season, and a starting role (something we wouldn't be able to give him if we're keeping Gasol and Drew), and he'll take that over anything we put on the table. He's going to be a 28-year old reaching his prime, so there's no way he settles for a smaller check and a backup role.

I just dont see who could be that perimeter player they could bring in, since Chris Paul looks to be unattainable. Would you ever consider Rudy Gay?

Rudy is stuck in Memphis until 2015. They signed him for far too much, and he'll be making OVER $19 million four seasons from now. With Kobe and Gasol already making big bucks, Ron signed for what seems to be five decades, and Drew probably getting another extension, I'd drop my jaw if Jim Buss decided to take on Rudy Gay's contract.

Monta is the much cheaper option, and in my opinion, a better player.

So if the Sixers just want to sign and waive Kamen, then that means they wouldnt trade for Ellis because he's signed for 3 more years...?

Kaman and Ellis are two different players, though. Kaman's $12 million is an expiring contract, and with the history of injuries, I'm not sure if Philly wants to give him an extension (after a possible trade, of course) for another 2-3 seasons, with that kind of money.

On the other hand, Monta is making $11 million a season, which is cheap for an all-star these days (to me, he's an all-star, it's just unfortunate that there were too many incredible guards out West at the time). He doesn't have an expiring contract, but even if he did, teams would be looking to bring him in for his productivity, not to let him go a season later.

#10 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts
  • Name:Superior Mastiffs
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted June 12, 2011 - 02:33 PM

Ellis/Blake/Lin/Fisher
Barnes/Wright/Ebanks
Pau/Landry/Udoh
Bynum/FA back up center

I just read a few minutes ago that the Lakers are offering Pau for the second pic, what do you think the Lakers should do now with the Ellis situation?

Edited by Mr.know.it.all, June 12, 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 11:28 AM

I just read a few minutes ago that the Lakers are offering Pau for the second pic, what do you think the Lakers should do now with the Ellis situation?

That's false. The Wolves are said to be shopping the second pick, and Gasol was brought up in the article as someone who would be worth it in Minny's eyes. Maybe others flipped it over and ran with something they made up, but there's no legit source that has confirmed anything of the sort involving the Lakers actually sticking Gasol on the block.

#12 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 11:50 AM

That's false. The Wolves are said to be shopping the second pick, and Gasol was brought up in the article as someone who would be worth it in Minny's eyes. Maybe others flipped it over and ran with something they made up, but there's no legit source that has confirmed anything of the sort involving the Lakers actually sticking Gasol on the block.

Thanks for the Info Real Deal. I also read about the Lakers in talks with golden state concerning Ellis, is that accurate

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the Info Real Deal. I also read about the Lakers in talks with golden state concerning Ellis, is that accurate

Yes sir. A few teams did, actually...but the Lakers were one of them.

#14 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Yes sir. A few teams did, actually...but the Lakers were one of them.

I noticed you have been a fan since 1996 Remember when people were saying that Jerry west was taking to big a gamble on trading a veteran center for a unproven high school-er for the 13 pick. I'm not saying that Kanter will be another Kobe, I do believe he will not be a bust barring a major injury he will be a very good player! I believe he will vie for the rookie of the year award

Edited by Mr.know.it.all, June 13, 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 03:27 PM

I noticed you have been a fan since 1996 Remember when people were saying that Jerry west was taking to big a gamble on trading a veteran center for a unproven high school-er for the 13 pick. I'm not saying that Kanter will be another Kobe, I do believe he will not be a bust barring a major injury he will be a very good player! I believe he will vie for the rookie of the year award

Actually, I've been an NBA fan since around 1989-1990 or so, but yeah, I remember that. I also remember Kobe winning a state championship his senior year, and breaking the Philadelphia HS scoring record previously held by Wilt. He was arguably one of the most dominant HS players over the last 20 years.

But, to conclude my side of the debate, Kanter hasn't done anything of the sort, and hasn't played basketball in a year (other than these last couple of workouts). And, for every Kobe Bryant you can give me, I can give you many different international players that didn't play college ball, that didn't prove anything on a grand stage before the draft, and that turned out to be terrible despite high rankings on the draft board.

#16 Mr.know.it.all

Mr.know.it.all

Rookie

• 759 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Actually, I've been an NBA fan since around 1989-1990 or so, but yeah, I remember that. I also remember Kobe winning a state championship his senior year, and breaking the Philadelphia HS scoring record previously held by Wilt. He was arguably one of the most dominant HS players over the last 20 years.

But, to conclude my side of the debate, Kanter hasn't done anything of the sort, and hasn't played basketball in a year (other than these last couple of workouts). And, for every Kobe Bryant you can give me, I can give you many different international players that didn't play college ball, that didn't prove anything on a grand stage before the draft, and that turned out to be terrible despite high rankings on the draft board.

Ive been a Laker fan since 1970, your right about the international players most of them in the past turn out to be busts, The
Lakers had one quite a while back that was 6ft10 and he turned out to be a bust I remember him because of his poor english. I have never been high on international players I just like this one. Over the years I would say my accuracy rate on the Lakers was very good.These are some of my misses; I thought Worthy was going to be a better player than Jordan when he came into the league because of his College game, I thought the Lakers were going to win 7 titles with Magic, I thought Shaq and Kobe would pass up Magic's 5 titles and win at least 6. I thought the Lakers would get to the finals this year after the thunder got eliminated. I thought the only team in the west that could stop the Lakers was OKC. If I'm wrong about Kanter I guess Ill have to add him to this list if I'm right then hopefully he will somehow be in purple and gold next year!

Edited by Mr.know.it.all, June 13, 2011 - 05:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users