Photo

MJ-comparisons

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:33 PM

you're right that i'm too young to have seen these games live, i have seen a fair share of documentaries, highlights and various clips. definitely does not do the real thing justice but it's not like i'm going into this conversation blind

i'm basing my speculations off of the fact that extremely physically gifted athletes like wilt and bill russell were rare (in an 8 team, i said 9 earlier, then later 14 team league). these guys dominated the game because they were taller, stronger, ran faster and jumped higher than everybody else (it also helps that bill russell was a MASTERMIND on the defensive end). nowadays supremely gifted athletes are dime a dozen in a 30 team NBA.

hell, the fact alone that jordan and kobe were competing against 22 extra teams for a championship instantly makes the competition more difficult.

again, i'm not trying to take anything away from bill russell's celtics, 11 championships in ANYTHING is ridiculous.

You keep repeating yourself but at least you admit you are going into this convo blind.

Bill Russell isn't as great as you think he is, Bill Russell would be like Joakim Noah on a team full of hall of famers.

#22 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:41 PM

MJ was overrated

wow

Pau Gasol is GONE

#23 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:51 PM

wow

What you wowing about?

Get off of Jordans nuts, dude was the greatest shooting guard of all time but greatest basketball player? EFF NO.

Dont make me laugh till my stomach hurts, the dude 3peated 2 times in the 90's you tellin' me he faced the greatest
teams of all time? NO! His teams were the greatest of that time, especially in the 90's who could matchup to
the Chicago Bulls will and skill at the time? Nobody came close.

Put that same team in the 80's they would of been mediocre especially considering how many HOF'ers
stacked the east in the 80's.

#24 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:09 PM

What you wowing about?

Get off of Jordans nuts, dude was the greatest shooting guard of all time but greatest basketball player? EFF NO.

Dont make me laugh till my stomach hurts, the dude 3peated 2 times in the 90's you tellin' me he faced the greatest
teams of all time? NO! His teams were the greatest of that time, especially in the 90's who could matchup to
the Chicago Bulls will and skill at the time? Nobody came close.

Put that same team in the 80's they would of been mediocre especially considering how many HOF'ers
stacked the east in the 80's.

I'm wowing about what you said obviously. Why are you so defensive about the damn subject anyway? You don't have to be on dude's nuts to recognize that he is the GOAT. MANY people recognize him as such....even people that grew up with Wilt, Magic, Kareem, and etc.

However, this isn't about that...this is about you calling MJ overrated. Sorry dude but that's just a dumb statement.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#25 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,791 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted June 12, 2011 - 12:23 AM

You keep repeating yourself but at least you admit you are going into this convo blind.

Bill Russell isn't as great as you think he is, Bill Russell would be like Joakim Noah on a team full of hall of famers.

haha, this is what i'm trying to say my friend.

bill russell set the standard, but this was in a time where the competition was not as tough

you basically just agreed to what i've been saying, i don't know why u keep calling me ignorant and trying to prove yourself right

2div

#26 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 05:13 AM

I'm wowing about what you said obviously. Why are you so defensive about the damn subject anyway? You don't have to be on dude's nuts to recognize that he is the GOAT. MANY people recognize him as such....even people that grew up with Wilt, Magic, Kareem, and etc.

However, this isn't about that...this is about you calling MJ overrated. Sorry dude but that's just a dumb statement.

I said WAS, you need glasses bro?

As in he WAS at the time, now its LeBron's turn.

Reason I said that was because he was dubbed the 'G.O.A.T.' before he even finished his career.

#27 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 05:26 AM

haha, this is what i'm trying to say my friend.

bill russell set the standard, but this was in a time where the competition was not as tough

you basically just agreed to what i've been saying, i don't know why u keep calling me ignorant and trying to prove yourself right

I never called you ignorant, least not in those exact words; chill.

I agree with you to an extent.

I agree the competition was pretty mediocre in that era for the Celtics, but thats about it.

#28 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 05:28 AM

Who watched Wilt, Magic and Kareem and agrees Michael is better? They need to be slapped.

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 12, 2011 - 09:32 AM

Who watched Wilt, Magic and Kareem and agrees Michael is better? They need to be slapped.

Why? It's an opinion. Just because you don't think Jordan is better than Wilt, Magic, and Kareem, doesn't mean your opinion is superior to those that believe Jordan is the greatest of all-time.

NBA coaches and former players have called Jordan the greatest, and obviously they have seen many greats come and go. So it's not like having that opinion is unfounded.

If you believe Jordan was not the G.O.A.T, then take pride in your opinion if you can back up your argument. Jordan, Wilt, Magic, and Kareem are all great in their own right. No reason to get defensive if someone doesn't agree with you. It's going to happen many more times in your life.

#30 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:03 AM

Why? It's an opinion. Just because you don't think Jordan is better than Wilt, Magic, and Kareem, doesn't mean your opinion is superior to those that believe Jordan is the greatest of all-time.

NBA coaches and former players have called Jordan the greatest, and obviously they have seen many greats come and go. So it's not like having that opinion is unfounded.

If you believe Jordan was not the G.O.A.T, then take pride in your opinion if you can back up your argument. Jordan, Wilt, Magic, and Kareem are all great in their own right. No reason to get defensive if someone doesn't agree with you. It's going to happen many more times in your life.

When 1 perons is going up against the majority, there is no argument.

Pretty much what you guys are saying is fact even if its false, because the majority agrees.

The dumbest person in the world, a person with an inferior basketball IQ can just roll in here and say
'Jordan is the GOAT' and I really have no arguement because everybody is going to disagree with me
and even though the other guy has no arguement hes won because everybody agrees.

So can you blame me for comming off defensive?

Seriously, what kind of [expletive] is that?

How can the greatest player of all time not even belong to two of the greatest franchises of all time?

Whatever, I'm [expletive]ing pissed, everytime this stupid arguement happens a lot of factors arent
even seriously taken into consideration or are completely ignored.

Might as well lock this thread, because there is no arguement and even if there was it would go something like this.

Me: MJ isn't the greatest.
Everybody else: Your crazy. Why?
Me: -Lists all reasonable factors-
Everybody else: But, Michael Jordan is the G.O.A.T.
Me: Okay? -lists even more reasonable factors-
Everybody else: Dude, hes freakin' MICHAEL JORDAN.
Me: -Throws his hands up in the air- Alright, I'm done, hes Michael Jordan how could I of forgotten.

#31 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:20 AM

Pretty much what you guys are saying is fact even if its false, because the majority agrees.

The dumbest person in the world, a person with an inferior basketball IQ can just roll in here and say
'Jordan is the GOAT' and I really have no arguement because everybody is going to disagree with me
and even though the other guy has no arguement hes won because everybody agrees.

How can the greatest player of all time not even belong to two of the greatest franchises of all time?

Whatever, I'm [expletive]ing pissed, everytime this stupid arguement happens a lot of factors arent

Might as well lock this thread, because there is no arguement and even if there was it would go something like this.

Me: -Throws his hands up in the air- Alright, I'm done, hes Michael Jordan how could I of forgotten.

SHRUG
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#32 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:25 AM

SHRUG

-shrugs too-

He never did that to Zeke's Pistons or Joe Dumars.

Edited by MyJohnsonisMagic, June 12, 2011 - 10:25 AM.

#33 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:32 AM

If you're able to provide a solid argument, you may get people to agree with you on some parts, but are you going to be able to change their opinion? Most likely not. Are people that come in here and try and argue that Jordan is the G.O.A.T going to change your opinion? Most likely not.

Being the greatest player doesn't mean you have to be on the Lakers or Celtics.

Although you have been a fan since the 80's and have watched basketball longer than some, you can assume that the Jordan led Bulls would have just been a mediocre team in the 80's. That's unfounded and is something you simply cannot back up because we will never know the answer to that.

People came in and argued with you because you called Jordan overrated. Although you had a different meaning behind it, that wasn't what other posters saw.

You really didn't list reasonable factors.

These were your factors:

1. Jordan is overrated. (Opinion)
2. There is officially no G.O.A.T. (Fact)
3. Most people here haven't watched basketball before the 90's. (Semi-Fact, I'm assuming many members here started watching basketball late 80's/early 90's)
4. Jordan matched up against players in the Finals that were passed their prime, so there really was no good competition. (Opinion)
5. If the Jordan-led Bulls were in the 80's, they would be mediocre. (Opinion)
6. People who say Jordan is the G.O.A.T after watching Wlit, Magic, and Kareem play should be slapped. (Opinion)

But I go back to your #2 factor. There is officially no G.O.A.T. If you believe that, then you should not be getting defensive about anything.

Wilt, Russell, Magic, Kareem, West and Jordan = The Greatest Players of All-Time

Whoever people believe is the G.O.A.T is up to them. That's the way I look at it.

#34 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:33 AM

-shrugs too-

He never did that to Zeke's Pistons or Joe Dumars.

Haha
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#35 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:44 AM

If you're able to provide a solid argument, you may get people to agree with you on some parts, but are you going to be able to change their opinion? Most likely not. Are people that come in here and try and argue that Jordan is the G.O.A.T going to change your opinion? Most likely not.

Being the greatest player doesn't mean you have to be on the Lakers or Celtics.

Although you have been a fan since the 80's and have watched basketball longer than some, you can assume that the Jordan led Bulls would have just been a mediocre team in the 80's. That's unfounded and is something you simply cannot back up because we will never know the answer to that.

People came in and argued with you because you called Jordan overrated. Although you had a different meaning behind it, that wasn't what other posters saw.

You really didn't list reasonable factors.

These were your factors:

1. Jordan is overrated. (Opinion)
2. There is officially no G.O.A.T. (Fact)
3. Most people here haven't watched basketball before the 90's. (Semi-Fact, I'm assuming many members here started watching basketball late 80's/early 90's)
4. Jordan matched up against players in the Finals that were passed their prime, so there really was no good competition. (Opinion)
5. If the Jordan-led Bulls were in the 80's, they would be mediocre. (Opinion)
6. People who say Jordan is the G.O.A.T after watching Wlit, Magic, and Kareem play should be slapped. (Opinion)

But I go back to your #2 factor. There is officially no G.O.A.T. If you believe that, then you should not be getting defensive about anything.

Wilt, Russell, Magic, Kareem, West and Jordan = The Greatest Players of All-Time

Whoever people believe is the G.O.A.T is up to them. That's the way I look at it.

I wont list any factors because I've done so in the past and people just completely ignored them, so I wont bother.

And yes I said Jordan WAS overrated I never stated that he IS overrated, glad you noticed the difference.

#36 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:45 AM

Haha

That the playoffs?

#37 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:50 AM

That the playoffs?

Haha Again :laughing:

Mike D'Antoni

#38 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Haha Again :laughing:

Notice how your videos keep inching on the 90's (how many 3's did he dump on them in that vid btw?). :laughing:

That last video though I was legitamatley inquiring if it was the playoffs, cuz didnt remember that game (or I didnt see it).

Edited by MyJohnsonisMagic, June 12, 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#39 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Notice how your videos keep inching on the 90's. :laughing:

That last video though I was legitamatley inquiring if it was the playoffs, cuz didnt remember that game (or I didnt see it).

you are very good at avoiding facts that go against your belief system. You should really watch the last video and then let it sink in. Jordan in the 80's and 90's was incredible. That video was in the 80's.

Mike D'Antoni

#40 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 12, 2011 - 11:05 AM

you are very good at avoiding facts that go against your belief system. You should really watch the last video and then let it sink in. Jordan in the 80's and 90's was incredible. That video was in the 80's.

I knew he was a scoring machine in the 80's, I just didnt think he was that great of a 3 point shooter in the 80's.

I dont get what you are talking about though > 'belief system' ?

When you put up the 'shrug' video I was doggin Portland's perimeter d,
I'd never think he'd throw down that many daggers on the pistons in the 80's.

Jordan in the 90's was unbelievable, his athleticism in the 80's was incredible.

I think Jordan was a better player in the late 90's than in the 80's to be honest,
but thats just me.

Edited by MyJohnsonisMagic, June 12, 2011 - 11:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users