Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,083 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:54 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6606999

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Jim Tressel, who guided Ohio State to its first national title in 34 years, resigned Monday amid NCAA violations from a tattoo-parlor scandal that sullied the image of one of the country's top football programs.

"After meeting with university officials, we agreed that it is in the best interest of Ohio State that I resign as head football coach," Tressel said in a statement released by the university. "The appreciation that (wife) Ellen and I have for the Buckeye Nation is immeasurable."

Clearly, the turmoil had been building. The resignation comes nearly three months after Ohio State called a news conference to announce it has suspended Tressel for two games -- later increasing the ban to five games to coincide with the players' punishment -- and fined him $250,000 for knowing his players had received improper benefits from a local tattoo-parlor owner. The school said at the time it was "very surprised and disappointed" in Tressel. Yet, the school still managed to crack jokes.

Asked if he considered firing Tressel, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said then: "No, are you kidding? Let me just be very clear: I'm just hopeful the coach doesn't dismiss me."

I thought he would have ended up staying despite what happened simply because of what he has done for the program since he got there.

Edited by Windu, May 30, 2011 - 08:54 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#2 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,013 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 30, 2011 - 09:37 AM

That sucks, Ohio state could have been contenders this year

Now they are going to go after Bo Pelini :nervous2:

#3 kobedoinwork

kobedoinwork

Rookie

• 749 posts
  • Name:Matthew
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted May 30, 2011 - 06:24 PM

I dont see how people aren't surprised about this, he knew what was going on the whole time and didnt tell anyone, and I think the buckeyes could go after Urban Meyer

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,083 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:50 AM

I dont see how people aren't surprised about this, he knew what was going on the whole time and didnt tell anyone, and I think the buckeyes could go after Urban Meyer

"I am committed to ESPN and will not pursue any coaching opportunities this fall," Meyer said. "I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the people at ESPN this spring and remain very excited about my role with the network this fall.

"Jim Tressel has been a respected friend and colleague for a long time. I wish Jim and his family the very best now and in the future."

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,013 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 10, 2011 - 02:34 PM

:laughing: :laughing:

#6 kobedoinwork

kobedoinwork

Rookie

• 749 posts