#1 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 28, 2011 - 11:45 AM

Been having some attacks lately so I decided to make this thread so everyone can share their knowledge and experiences with viruses, trojans, and other malware.

Somehow (just a while ago) a virus tried to access my PC (maybe it did) and it happened at around the time I was installing windows updates. Makes me think that there's something suspect about these windows updates. :hmm:

So, tell me your experiences with viruses and the like, what you did to resolve the issue, type of anti-virus software you use, and etc.

FYI, the threat I just removed was called adobe_flash_player.exe (R66v.exe)

Pau Gasol is GONE

#2 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 28, 2011 - 11:57 AM

The first thing u want to do is download and install Malwarebytes. This program is amazing. Keep it on ur PC. The best free antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials. Ive had it for a year and it perfect. The best way to prevent malware is to use common sense. Dont download things u dont need or things that sound too good to be true.

Edited by TheLakersHighlights, May 28, 2011 - 12:00 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:12 PM

The first thing u want to do is download and install Malwarebytes. This program is amazing. Keep it on ur PC. The best free antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials. Ive had it for a year and it perfect. The best way to prevent malware is to use common sense. Dont download things u dont need or things that sound too good to be true.

Actually, I already have malwarebytes for malware and I also have Alvira for viruses. Had microsoft security essentials and it was garbage.

I don't do any downloading; just come here, facebook, sports sites, and stuff like that.

the thing is that I was in the process of installing windows updates when the virus I mentioned tried to infiltrate. a prompt kept coming up asking me to download it but I wouldn't of course; problem was that every time I tried to exit from the prompt...it would pop back up IMMEDIATELY. I found a way to get rid of it though. Million dollar question is where it came from

Edited by Windu, May 28, 2011 - 12:12 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:20 PM

normally, after I finish a scan with alvira, everything is cool but there's always that one "hidden object". now, from what I've read...those hidden objects are usually harmless. What I'm trying to find out is if that hidden object is something else like a rootkit.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,018 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:23 PM

normally, after I finish a scan with alvira, everything is cool but there's always that one "hidden object". now, from what I've read...those hidden objects are usually harmless. What I'm trying to find out is if that hidden object is something else like a rootkit.

Make sure you have microsoft secuirty essentials and windows firewall on

#6 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:29 PM

This is really all you need.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:33 PM

like I said, microsoft security essentials was more harm than help and I switched to malwarebytes and avira. Firewall is on

This is really all you need.

with the way things have been happening...apparently not

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:33 PM

spybot search and destroy is better then essentials and malware bytes

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#9 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

The Man With Double Picks

• 1,528 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:My Birth
  • Fav. Laker:BlackMamba-Magic-Queensbridge

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:39 PM

First, are you sure you got rid of it? Viruses, trojans and the others are like sleeping agents. You should start in safe mode and then check out if it is still there. If you do not know what kind or file it could be, just look for recent ones in "system", "system32" and other folders like those. Malwares usually have weird, long names such as "df5768fjo-96.exe" (I've made that up). Plus, there are three or four viruses which claim to be Windows Security Center (or Alert) and look just like it so you cannot recognize them. Sad to say, Windows' firewall and in general Windows default stuff is almost useless.
Anyway, you need a good antivirus. Like Warren2ThaG said, Spybot is a good choice. And do not even think about getting McAfee.

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:41 PM

spybot search and destroy is better then essentials and malware bytes

elaborate

Pau Gasol is GONE

#11 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:49 PM

First, are you sure you got rid of it? Viruses, trojans and the others are like sleeping agents. You should start in safe mode and then check out if it is still there. If you do not know what kind or file it could be, just look for recent ones in "system", "system32" and other folders like those. Malwares usually have weird, long names such as "df5768fjo-96.exe" (I've made that up). Plus, there are three or four viruses which claim to be Windows Security Center (or Alert) and look just like it so you cannot recognize them. Sad to say, Windows' firewall and in general Windows default stuff is almost useless.
Anyway, you need a good antivirus. Like Warren2ThaG said, Spybot is a good choice. And do not even think about getting McAfee.

thats what I'm thinking. that a virus may have disguised itself as a windows update to infect my pc.

the problem with the system/system32 folder is that you don't know for sure and you could end up deleting some important [expletive]

Like, there's a few now with longgggg names but I have no clue what they're for...it's jibber jabber. it's not an exe file though

also, malwarebyes and alvira haven't picked up anything when I ran the scans (except for the hidden object)

Edited by Windu, May 28, 2011 - 12:50 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#12 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:56 PM

if the antivirus program didnt pick up anything, you may be good

i would also install this http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

it cleans out unessary [expletive] from your computer thats left over after un installation of programs and things like that, maybe it will help?

13z8pc6.jpg

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:02 PM

if the antivirus program didnt pick up anything, you may be good

i would also install this http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

it cleans out unessary [expletive] from your computer thats left over after un installation of programs and things like that, maybe it will help?

it's that one hidden object thats buggin' me out. I'm thinking about installing an anti-rootkit software but not sure yet.

I'll try the cleaner...

Pau Gasol is GONE

#14 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:02 PM

elaborate

All 3 are good... Essentials/Malware Bytes/Spy Bot. but u also should have strnog firewalls like ZoneAlarm Security and PC Tools Firewall Plus.

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:06 PM

I'm about to run the cleaner. Should I select the advanced options...i.e. Menu Order Cache?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:14 PM

It's probably a Trojan that was hiding for awhile. I've only used security essentials on my windows laptop with never issues and I download a lot of torrents too.

The more 3rd party firewalls and anti softwares you install the more system resources are used up.

Have you ever installed pirated software or a key cracker? They do mo harm other than unlock software but show up as harmful with security software usually in windows 32 folder

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#17 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,649 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:21 PM

The first thing I always do, even when my computer slows down a little is run CCleaner.

Give CCleaner a try on your registry. A lot of viruses infect themselves deep into your registry where the common and/or free virus protector doesn't look at. Once you clean all that up, take an attempt at safe mode. If anything, the trojan might be visible in safe mode and can be found through your protector.

A lot of guys here are recommending a bunch of virus protectors. Don't overload your computer with a bunch of those. If your current one is showing that you have a infected file and it isn't cleaning it our properly, save the name of the file and search for some solutions on some Tech forums. Most viruses are basically the same thing with a different name.

It's very unlikely that you got something during a windows update. My only guess would be that the virus was initiated during the update.

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:22 PM

It's probably a Trojan that was hiding for awhile. I've only used security essentials on my windows laptop with never issues and I download a lot of torrents too.

The more 3rd party firewalls and anti softwares you install the more system resources are used up.

Have you ever installed pirated software or a key cracker? They do mo harm other than unlock software but show up as harmful with security software usually in windows 32 folder

not to my knowledge, no. I don't even know what a key cracker is??? a password cracker? don't have any use for that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:29 PM

The first thing I always do, even when my computer slows down a little is run CCleaner.

Give CCleaner a try on your registry. A lot of viruses infect themselves deep into your registry where the common and/or free virus protector doesn't look at. Once you clean all that up, take an attempt at safe mode. If anything, the trojan might be visible in safe mode and can be found through your protector.

A lot of guys here are recommending a bunch of virus protectors. Don't overload your computer with a bunch of those. If your current one is showing that you have a infected file and it isn't cleaning it our properly, save the name of the file and search for some solutions on some Tech forums. Most viruses are basically the same thing with a different name.

It's very unlikely that you got something during a windows update. My only guess would be that the virus was initiated during the update.

I just ran CCleaner and it scanned temp internet files, cookies, index.dat files, recent documents, run, empty recycle bin, and etc but it's asking if I want to delete the files...is that wise? what is the registry under because I don't see it as a scan option.

the only thing the scans have shown is that one hidden object and I'm itching to know what that is.

Edited by Windu, May 28, 2011 - 01:30 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:32 PM

this is what it says after the ccleaner finished...

This process will permanently delete files from your system.

Are you sure you wish to proceed?

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users