#1 Arrigo

Arrigo

Rookie

• 26 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe/Magic/Kareem

Posted May 28, 2011 - 10:55 AM

I think everyone can agree that the Lakers needs to get more athletic & faster. They need to upgrade the PG position with a younger, quicker player that can keep opposing teams PG's in front of him on defense. They also need a SF that can shoot the 3 & spread the floor consistently, something they haven't had in years.

A trade idea that I have heard arm chair GM's & friends banter around is a Odom or Gasol, Artest & Blake for Chris Paul. But lets be honest, the Hornets won't do that. CP3 would be the ideal PG to run the show in L.A. since he is the best PURE PG in the NBA. He does have some leverage over the Hornets though if he were to say "I am leaving after the 2011-12 season & going to a team that can win a title soon. I want to go to L.A. either you deal me there or I will go there as a FA and you'll be stuck with nothing." The Hornets do have a question mark at PF with Doug West saying he is unsure if he will opt out of his deal this summer. Adding either Odom or Gasol would give the Hornets a legit big man to pair with West (should he stay). With Artest his contract would be expiring which would be added value for the Hornets. Blake would provide PG depth for them & bridge the gap between the new PG and Paul. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most likely) I would say this is a 2.

I think the best case scenario for the Lakers to add a PG is hoping Norris Cole drops to their 1st second round pick. Cole has the ability to be a pretty good PG and has the speed & quickness to be very effective on the defensive side of the ball. He has some good offensive tools, but it remains unclear if they translate to the NBA coming from the Horizon League. Isaiah Thomas (Washington) is another PG that should be there in round 2 and has the ability to surprise people who knock him because of his size. He has great intangibles and basketball instincts to go with his lightning fast speed. Josh Selby (Kansas) is a player that has a high ceiling but his production, or lack there of, at Kansas (especially towards the end of the year) has forced his stock to slip. He does has all the tools to be a very good PG and play some SG if need be. Corey Joseph (Texas) is another player to keep an eye on as well.

As far as adding a SF that can spread the floor, I think it depends on what they do in terms of a trade. A couple players I like that could be available are Tobias Harris (Tennessee), DeAndre Liggins (Kentucky), Bojan Bogdanovic, Nikola Mirotic (Real Madrid) and David Bertans (Latvia).

Mike Brown is going to add a defensive mentality to the Lakers, that is his forte and that is needed in order for the Lakers to get back to the NBA Finals in 2012. But the front office needs to remake the bench and add an influx of youth to the roster. It always bothered me the way the Lakers traded away 1st round picks getting nothing in return and it has come back to bite them with the aging roster & lack of bench depth this past season. Having four 2nd round picks should help them add depth something sorely needed on a team that still can compete for a title.

#2 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,312 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:28 AM

I agree!

This one would work; Bynum-Odom for Okafor-CP3. Then all the need is an upgrade at the 3, and the Lakers would be extremely difficult to beat. Even if we keep Ron-ron, they will be good, with Elite-defenders at the 1-2-3 and 5. Also, CP3 is one of the few guys in the league that Kobe really respects.

It will also save the Hornets about 50 million over the next few years which is a lot in a small New Orleans market. Furthermore, if David West choses to opt out of his contract, they could perhaps make a sign-and-trade to get another good PG, such as Raymond Felton. Or, if West stays, they could trade Odom for a good PG.
http://games.espn.go...tradeId=3h5vjy2
I'm not sure I trust the health of CP3, even though he looked fantastic in the playoffs. That being said, I don't trust Bynums health either...

Regarding the draft, I disagree with what you're saying. What the Lakers need is a starting PG, not an early second round rookie. Fish or Blake will be nice back-ups, but they clearly need a starting PG and Norris Cole is not that guy, though they should take him if they get the chance.

#3 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted June 03, 2011 - 09:30 AM

<_<

#4 Arrigo

Arrigo

Rookie

• 26 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe/Magic/Kareem

Posted June 04, 2011 - 03:57 PM

Gilbert Arenas & Rajon Rando were both 2nd round guys, so a good PG can be found in the 2nd round. System & coaching up goes a long way in the development of a PG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users