• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 02:30 PM

Plus 21

More info on how the territorial drafts was and how it got abolished would be interesting. We could have gotten Kareem and Walton too? LOL

Edited by pointguard11, June 05, 2011 - 02:30 PM.

"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#22 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:18 PM

I find it hilarious that everyone is jocking this post. No offense man but you say absolutely nothing conclusive.
Your just giving your personal opinion. Which is ok but dont leverage the fact youve been a long time fan as reason enough to believe your opinionative writing.
I can name companies off the top of my head that had original owners die and left majority ownership in those companies to their children and those companies tanks soon after. And those dumb [expletive] kids had the best educations possible because they grew up with a platinum spoon in their mouth. And most had been with their organization for many years shadowing their parents. And it still went under or was taken over.

Your just being hopefull that Jim is going to run this franchise with the same commitment and dedication to success that Jerry did.
I hope your right. But no offense man, you could be 155 years old and all your experience wouldnt mean crap in that prediction.
Business morality changes second to second. And in this new gen its a whole set of new rules of supply and demand that pro sports and the rest of business entertianment hasnt figured out yet. Anything can happen. And the most succesful marketers on earth havnt been able to summarize whats happening yet. So its anyones bet.

But from the outside looking in I will make a prediction based on what Ive seen many times.....
THE #1 THING THAT RUINS COMPANIES THAT ALL TOP COLLEGES TEACH TODAY IS "Cost Reduction"
And Jimmy Buss is all about cost reduction. Hiring Brown allready prooves that to me. I dont know the $ terms but Brown had to be cheap. I mean serious how do you transition a championship squads confidence from Phil to Brown....lol.

People think this organization is the same. But its not. Jerry may have influence. But from what I gather theres beem contractual agreements that Jimmy has the reigns now. He can do whatever he wants.

That old saying "Like father like son" doesnt count when it comes to money.

Heres 1 example. Ill provide more if need be.
Eddie Debartolo owned the SF 49ers. He was (as Jerry Buss was) committed to winning. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young and 20 other all stars throughout the years equated to 5 superbowls and being crowned the team of the 80's.
Debartolo was forced out as owner because of some gambling he did on a boat in Louisianna that had notta to do with football. He was playing dice and cards, Anyways thats another story.
He relinquised control/ownership of the team to the York family. In reality...his own daughter who married some guy name York.
Howd that go for the 49ers....lol

So while I pray your accurate in your predictions. I dont think you will be man.
And sorry to all the hopeful thinkers out there....but reality is a bee-yi-itch.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#23 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,095 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:23 PM

I find it hilarious that everyone is jocking this post. No offense man but you say absolutely nothing conclusive.
Your just giving your personal opinion. Which is ok but dont leverage the fact youve been a long time fan as reason enough to believe your opinionative writing.
I can name companies off the top of my head that had original owners die and left majority ownership in those companies to their children and those companies tanks soon after. And those dumb [expletive] kids had the best educations possible because they grew up with a platinum spoon in their mouth. And most had been with their organization for many years shadowing their parents. And it still went under or was taken over.

Your just being hopefull that Jim is going to run this franchise with the same commitment and dedication to success that Jerry did.
I hope your right. But no offense man, you could be 155 years old and all your experience wouldnt mean crap in that prediction.
Business morality changes second to second. And in this new gen its a whole set of new rules of supply and demand that pro sports and the rest of business entertianment hasnt figured out yet. Anything can happen. And the most succesful marketers on earth havnt been able to summarize whats happening yet. So its anyones bet.

But from the outside looking in I will make a prediction based on what Ive seen many times.....
THE #1 THING THAT RUINS COMPANIES THAT ALL TOP COLLEGES TEACH TODAY IS "Cost Reduction"
And Jimmy Buss is all about cost reduction. Hiring Brown allready prooves that to me. I dont know the $ terms but Brown had to be cheap. I mean serious how do you transition a championship squads confidence from Phil to Brown....lol.

People think this organization is the same. But its not. Jerry may have influence. But from what I gather theres beem contractual agreements that Jimmy has the reigns now. He can do whatever he wants.

Eddie Debartolo owned the SF 49ers. He was (as Jerry Buss was) committed to winning. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young and 20 other all stars throughout the years equated to 5 superbowls and being crowned the team of the 80's.
Debartolo was forced out as owner because of some gambling he did on a boat in Louisianna that had notta to do with football. He was playing dice and cards, Anyways thats another story.
He relinquised control/ownership of the team to the York family. In reality...his own daughter who married some guy name York.

So while I pray your accurate in your predictions. I dont think you will be man.
And sorry to all the hopeful thinkers out there....but reality is a bee-yi-itch.

I'm jocking this post

Pau Gasol is GONE

#24 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:29 PM

So. Get off the Lakers train. Get off. We don't need ya. Fandom is about faith. Not negative assumptions. Be an eagles fan. Or a new York fan of any sport. Lakers been winning and will keep winning. Being in LA you would get that
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#25 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,095 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:33 PM

So. Get off the Lakers train. Get off. We don't need ya. Fandom is about faith. Not negative assumptions. Be an eagles fan. Or a new York fan of any sport. Lakers been winning and will keep winning. Being in LA you would get that

Oh boy, what is it with you and your high and mighty fan police statements? You want everyone to think like you? Be a fan like you?

Sick and tired of [expletive] like you always running your mouf; [expletive]ing fan police.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#26 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Sick and tired of negative fans who act like this organization is ultra flawed. Perfection doesn't exist but this organization is the closest to that by far. Every year win or not there is a reason to [expletive] and complain. That's hoe [expletive]
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#27 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,095 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Sick and tired of negative fans who act like this organization is ultra flawed. Perfection doesn't exist but this organization is the closest to that by far. Every year win or not there is a reason to [expletive] and complain. That's hoe [expletive]

Who gives a [expletive]? This site isn't about you going in every [expletive]ing thread running your [expletive] [expletive] mouf talking about "negative fans", "ungrateful fans", and all that other [expletive]assness.

You've been here long enough to know that no one in this organization is exempt from critique. For the last damn time: Put your ignore button to use to if you don't like what people are saying.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#28 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,435 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Sick and tired of negative fans who act like this organization is ultra flawed. Perfection doesn't exist but this organization is the closest to that by far.

Take a hint bro. THIS ORGANIZATION as you state 2 timws above is not the same organization as it was last year or for the last 20+ years.

New owner=new organization. So stop saying THIS oraganization fan cop.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#29 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,435 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:59 PM

So. Get off the Lakers train. Get off. We don't need ya.

lol. Ive probably been on that so called "lakers train" while you were still a swimmer in your poppas testys.
You dont know much do ya bro. Your listening to your heart, not your mind. Which is probably good because wisdom seems to not be a close friend of yours.
GO CHEERLEADER FAN COPS!

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#30 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 06, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Everyone's allowed to give their opinion here. Be it negative or positive, you can't single people out for refusing to fall into your line of thinking. How does criticizing a team make anyone less of a fan? It's the same nonsense that happened during the regular season when people would talk down to others when they would bring up team issues.

#31 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 06, 2011 - 07:09 PM

While I like what Laker_55 said I don't know about Mike Brown he'll have to prove himself to me and so will Jim Buss . I'm siding with LakersGAfan on this one.

My real issue with Brown is not really the X's and Os I'm sure he has some good schemes planned but Idk if this team will respect him or if he can unite them when times get tough.

Edited by NYCLakerfan, June 06, 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#32 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:27 PM

Take a hint bro. THIS ORGANIZATION as you state 2 timws above is not the same organization as it was last year or for the last 20+ years.

New owner=new organization. So stop saying THIS oraganization fan cop.

while i don't agree with the fan cop mentality i have to say that jim buss has been running the team since 2005. he was the driving force behind drafting bynum and has been pretty much running the team at the same capacity as he is now since then

we've been to 3 finals under his tenure so far. jerry buss stepped aside a while ago. this is not the first year under jim. hell jim hired rudy t and then proceeded to rehire phil after realizing a mistake was made.

so he's shown he's not terrible. i think jim is arrogant, but you kind of have to be in business. being a big pushover gets you nowhere. look at jerry jones. guy is the GM of the cowboys is probably the most arrogant SOB in the NFL not named al davis and has produced 5 superbowls. yeah hes made dumb decisions. most of them out of arrogance. but he's also made great decisions out of arrogance.

jim has been the decision makers since 2005 with mitch kupchak. jim has been around basketball his whole life and while i really dont like the guy he has balls, he's not afraid, and the guy is fearless. he's gonna have his share of head scratchers and he may never live up to probably the 2nd greatest owner in sports history only behind steinbrenner if not tied, but i do believe we'll see more of the same as we've seen since 2005.
Posted Image

#33 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted June 07, 2011 - 11:13 AM

I started watching the Lakers in 1980, the beginning of the Dr. Buss era. One thing that he has always been about is putting out a winning product. That is not going to change.
I personally did not expect the Lakers to sign Mike Brown. but I will live with that decision and give the guy one year to put out a good product out on the court.
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#34 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,448 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted June 07, 2011 - 11:49 AM

Phil Jax is gone, Jerry Buss is in the shadows. Mike Brown is here & Jim Buss in calling more shots now. How about we see what they can do before ripping them? This off season i anxiously await what this team is going to look like. I think it was time for a change. And most people will admit that Mike Brown is saying all the right things. I guess other fans want to sit there with a negative state of mind blasting any Laker move they don't see fit. And when they get to talking about the Lakers it's always something bad or about a wrong move LA's brass made.
I don't get it. A new era is upon us, lets see what can be.

veqdeg.jpg

#35 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,095 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Here's my question: Do players like playing for Mike Brown?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#36 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 01:09 PM

Here's my question: Do players like playing for Mike Brown?

Players like winning. Mike brown was lebrons best friend until he lost in the playoffs. Suddenly he hated mike brown

Phil is a tough guy to get along with. He takes a lot of shots at you but you know he's your best shot to win
Posted Image

#37 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

Lakers franchise > Celtics franchise

• 1,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1967
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted June 07, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Well, I found a flaw in your logic here. You give examples where team owners passed on ownership to children and everything went belly up but totally ignore my example of what the O'Malley family did for the Dodgers. It went from father to son (Walter to Peter) and did quite well. As I pointed out, they only sold because of the tax laws, it would have killed their investment. I belive had it stayed in the family, the Dodgers would have won a few times, and Bill Russell would still be their manager. Consistency does a lot, and the Dodgers had that. They won with Alston and Lasorda for years as managers. Peter's nephew owns a minor league team, there was an artilcle in the LA Times about it. Maybe one day he will own a major league team and draw on his grandfather's, uncle's, and mother's methods and build a winner.

Now, there is no guarantee that Jim Buss will continue the Lakers winning tradition. However, remember, he has been in the organization for years, learning the business. He either takes it over fully, or his dad sells out. However, Dr. Buss is still around. If he didn't approve of what was going on, he wouldn't approve, he would sell.

It's ok to be nervouse, we are entering new ground here. However, we have done that exact same thing for years and always come back. If you want to believe it is going to stop, feel free. I won't.

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....nCelticsBusters

#38 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

Lakers franchise > Celtics franchise

• 1,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1967
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted June 07, 2011 - 02:46 PM

I also wish to repeat myself, just to remind you all.

Jerry Buss bought the Lakers in order to defeat the Boston Celtics. That accomplished, and everything else Jerry did, was set the Lakers up to do what Jim Buss has declared. Pass them in titles. That's what he said, in 2009.

We all want it, give the kid a chance.

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....nCelticsBusters

#39 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 04:23 PM

Windu. Ok say what u will. You would do a better job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users