#1 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

Lakers franchise > Celtics franchise

• 1,401 posts
  • Fan Since:1967
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:02 PM

POPULAR

Geez, I know a good portion of Lakers fandom is in a tizzy with the recent organizational changes. I am not going to call any of you out individually, but collectively, give this team a chance, ok? I thought I would counter some of the main objections with simple, rational facts. Consider this, a few weeks ago when we were 17-1, we were popping corks for the 3peat. It was possible for us to be in the finals this year, and the excitement would still be sky high.

1) Mike Brown as coach.. Never won before. Ok, let me ask you this, who else is out there that won? Phil was a planned exit. Popovich is sticking with San Antonio until Duncan retires, and he'll follow. Larry Brown won in 2004, but he tends to flee his teams. How is he doing in Charlotte? I preferred Adelman, but like Brown and Phil, he's up there in years. Pat Riley won in 2006, but he's back upstairs. Doc Rivers won in 2008 and he's done, he signed on for 5 more years in Boston. Do you think we can realistically pull a good coach away from a rising team? Mike Brown is young, and could be with us for years if he works out. complaints are he just gives the ball to the superstar, Kobe, and lets him run iso's. Let's see what does happen before we guess what will occur. Maybe we can pry Russell Westbrook away from OKC and get his head on straight. I'm certain he would love to be a Laker Speaking of changes, lets see what happens first. THe Lakers are known to be contenders, trust them.

2) Jim Buss. Ok, I am going to take a Dodger angle on this first, then come back to the Lakers. Walter O'Malley brought the team to LA from Brooklyn. Vin Scully is still on board from those days. His son Peter ran the team next. The Dodgers would have stayed in the family but they sold because of inheritance tax laws. Turned out they would lose millions if they passed the team along and they chose to unload. The family loved the Dodgers, selling them was like the Lone Ranger giving up Silver, or Roy Rogers giving Trigger away, it hurt. While the O'Malley's ran the show, the Dodgers were a rare team indeed. Every other team, in virtually every other sport fires the coach or manager when things go sour. Not the Dodgers. Walter Alston came from Brooklyn and Tommy Lasorda was groomed as his successor. Former shortstop Bill Russell was next in line for the Dodger manager job and was carefully trained to take the role. When the Dodgers were sold, Bill was soon fired. I can't tell you how many managers the Dodgers have gone through since, but if the O'Malley's still owned them, Russell would still be in charge and we would have a title or two more here in LA. The Dodgers are just like the other baseball clubs now, the uniqueness is gone.

Back to the Lakers. I wasn't a fan during Bob Short's ownership, but he couldn't get Baylor and West the help they needed. He did see to it the NBA territorial draft pick rule was abolished, our last two picks were Gail Goodrich and Walt Hazzard. We could have had Kareem and every other UCLA great. Anyway, Jack Kent Cooke bought the Lakes with the intent of winning a chamionship.He built the Fabulous Forum, getting us out of the Sports Arena. Chick Hearn referred to the Forum as "The House that Jack Built". Jack got us Wilt Chamberlain. It took a few yeras, but that elusive title came in 1972. Cooke also destroyed that Lakers team after 1973. He forced Wilt out, and soon Goodrich, but Gail's free agency turned into Magic Johnson, who Jack insisted with his final ownership decison we pick in the 1979 draft. Other Lakers top brass wanted us to select Sidney Moncreif, for crying out loud. Jack did get us Kareem but we traded our youth away to get him. It took a few years to surround Kareem with the talent to win.

Now on to the Buss era. Let me ask you this, do you know the number one reason Jerry Buss bought the Lakers? If you think it was to win championships, you are dead wrong, but still on the right track in a way, because his reason would bring a championship. Dr. Buss bought the Lakers with the primary goal of beating the Boston Celtics in the finals. If Boston hadn't have ducked us in 1980, it would have happened in Jerry's first season as owner. So, it took until 1985. Then we did it two more times for good measure; 1987, and 2010. We would have done it this year too had we both shown up.

Ok, now on to Jim Buss. I don't know his exact age, but he and Jeannie were about 18-20 years old when Jerry bought the team. Quite an imprssionable age, stepping into the Showtime era of a multitude of success. Kind of like an instant college degree and immediate hire into a phenominally successful enterprise. Of course Jerry's children knew the reason why their dad bought the team. Flash forward to the 2009 finals trophy presentation when Jim Buss announced the Lakers intend to get the most titles. Beating Boston in 1985 closed the title count to 15-9. In nearly 32 years of Buss ownership the count has changed from 13-6 Boston to 17-16. Certainly Jim Buss has watched us draw ever closer and now be on the doorstep. He wants to pass Boston, and has been driven for years to do it. If you or I somehow bought the Lakers, yeah, we would want to pass Boston too, but Jim Buss has been living this for 32 years. The Buss family loves the Lakers as much as the O'Malley family loved the Dodgers. Lakers history says we are usually competitive. Give Jim a chance. Some fans can't buy a team and be successful. Art Moreno got the Angels after their first title and still hasn't won. Hopefully, he will. Mark Cuban is in position to win fnally with Dallas. that Mavericks team is a lot like the 1960's Los Angeles Lakers, always close, never there. Mavs will beat the Heat this time though, and that's good for Lakers fans. We will have the defending champs to deal with in our conference next year, a good motivator. Miami will begin entering panic mode and their premature clebrations will haunt them for years.

I could probably add more here, let's see where this thread goes.No materr who coaches us, what decisons Jim Buss makes, the Lakers will be competing for titles. We won't win them all, but while Kobe's playing, I like our chances. Once this core is done, you know we will rebuild and we have a young owner to help lead us there.Maybe we will have a young successful coach as well.

Quit panicking, this the the Lakers, the greatest francchise in NBA history. Don't worry what others think, we will rise again!

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....nCelticsBusters

#2 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I agree.

Posted Image

#3 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,911 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:39 PM

I enjoy reading your thoughts.

Something to remember is that the thought of Jim Buss running this team gave us all heart palpitations in both 2004 & 2007. He was believed to be central in making certain key decisions at both times.

So, what happened in the interim? Has Jerry Buss simply come along and cleaned up his mistakes? Maybe. Will Jerry have to do it again? If he did in the past, then maybe he will again.

My point, though, is that I'm not convinced that every criticism lobbed at Jim Buss has been due to something that was solely Jim Buss' decision. Moreso, I'm not thoroughly convinced that he hasn't done anything positive in his position.

I could be dead wrong. And, Doc Buss clearly won't be around much longer. But, in the spirit of the OP, I'm not writing off all things Jim Buss yet.

He doesn't want to lose. And his efforts are designed to help the Lakers win. For all we know, he has made key contributions through the years without being given any credit for them.

I enjoy this aspect of the NBA. Let's see what's around the corner and not write the next 2 decades off without playing a game.

Something tells me that if things don't go well, that somehow, someway, someone will step in and right the ship.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#4 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,311 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:43 PM

Brown is a tard. Theres no explanation needed beyone that. I would rather they hired this guy as coach
Posted Image

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 07:06 PM

I wonder if mike brown realizes how hated he is amongst laker fans

Poor guy? At least give him a title
Posted Image

#6 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted May 27, 2011 - 07:21 PM

I wonder if mike brown realizes how hated he is amongst laker fans

IM READY TO EXCEPT THE GUY, JUST HOPE HE HAS SOME GOOD OFFENSIVE SCEAMS, BECAUSE HE CANNOT EXPECT TO RUN EVERYTHING THRU KOBE LIKE HE DID FOR BRON IN CLEVELAND,IF I WAS HIM ILL GIVE PHIL A CALL AND GET WITH HIM THIS SUMMER AND LEARN THE TRIANGLE OFFENSE, HE COULD RUN IT OCCASIONALLY

Edited by miggs, May 27, 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,004 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 27, 2011 - 07:33 PM

whats up with the all caps?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 07:37 PM

whats up with the all caps?

I accidently hit the caps lock, so I just ran with it.

#9 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:43 AM

good take on our situation, I agree with you, lets at least give the guy a shot right? lets see how things go, we can sit here and talk all day about how Mike Brown might do this and might do that and fail but we wont know until we see him in action with THIS team

Plus he sounded very convincing during the interview saying how he had a plan, I'm actually excited to see what he has in-store :shifty:

Edited by TheMadSci, May 28, 2011 - 12:47 AM.

The North Remembers

#10 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 686 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted May 28, 2011 - 03:08 AM

Very nice read/take on things. I'm actually pretty excited to see how this teams comes back from that joke of a playoff exit. Guns blazing, please!

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#11 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted May 28, 2011 - 07:51 AM

Mike Brown got a lot of his guys. He has a proven scheme. Jim buss was right on Bynum. Lakers still have other management with input
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,351 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 08:05 AM

John Ireland said it best on AM 710 when he said that although Jim Buss is the one that handled the search, Jerry Buss still was the one that had to sign off on it because he did not pass that power to his son. Jim Buss has a lot of power with the Lakers now but all his decisions still go through Dr. Jerry Buss. He then said that when as Lakers fans did we start questioning the things that the greatest owner is sports decided or signed off on?

Mike Brown was the unanimous decision of Jerry, Jim, and Mitch Kupchak. So unless people now think that Jerry Buss is not a capable owner, then fans should give this hire a chance and stop looking at his supposed "failure" in Cleveland. I don't care what anyone shares, the Cavs team's he coached were overachievers and were never the best team in the playoffs when they made it. Great regular season team's but players who were unable to handle the playoff pressures. Had Lebron had a legitimate #2 in Cleveland and not Larry Hughes or Mo Williams, then the Cavs would have had at least 1-2 titles.

#13 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 09:02 AM

John Ireland said it best on AM 710 when he said that although Jim Buss is the one that handled the search, Jerry Buss still was the one that had to sign off on it because he did not pass that power to his son. Jim Buss has a lot of power with the Lakers now but all his decisions still go through Dr. Jerry Buss. He then said that when as Lakers fans did we start questioning the things that the greatest owner is sports decided or signed off on?

Mike Brown was the unanimous decision of Jerry, Jim, and Mitch Kupchak. So unless people now think that Jerry Buss is not a capable owner, then fans should give this hire a chance and stop looking at his supposed "failure" in Cleveland. I don't care what anyone shares, the Cavs team's he coached were overachievers and were never the best team in the playoffs when they made it. Great regular season team's but players who were unable to handle the playoff pressures. Had Lebron had a legitimate #2 in Cleveland and not Larry Hughes or Mo Williams, then the Cavs would have had at least 1-2 titles.

yeah, what was jerry supposed to do, he has to prove to his son that he can trust him, jerry is a poker player he has to take a chance on his son decision.maxand marcellus said it best jim thinks he hit a triple just beacuse he is the owners son , he has to start from home plate

#14 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 28, 2011 - 10:05 AM

All hail Lakers_55 - genius post.

Possibly one of the best in the history of this or any other Laker message board.

Age = wisdom. You seriously should submit this to radio stations and other outlets. It sums up a lot of the argument I've been throwing out there in regards to the ever increasing illogical panic of the Laker fan base.

#15 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Yep
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#16 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 535 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:33 PM

And the grand poobah has spoken. I've come to reality with Mike Brown, and maybe just maybe we could go back to the Finals next season. Also a little roster tweak is always a good thing. Great post Lakers_55.

#17 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

Lakers franchise > Celtics franchise

• 1,401 posts
  • Fan Since:1967
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted May 28, 2011 - 02:23 PM

All hail Lakers_55 - genius post.

Possibly one of the best in the history of this or any other Laker message board.

Age = wisdom. You seriously should submit this to radio stations and other outlets. It sums up a lot of the argument I've been throwing out there in regards to the ever increasing illogical panic of the Laker fan base.

Thanks. I'm afraid most of our fans here don't even know who the O'Malley's were and what they brought to Los Angeles.The Buss family actually has them one-upped, in terms of titles, and is well ahead of the Steinbrenner Clan: Dr. Buss >>> The Boss. For me, it's easy to see the comparison, not so for much younger fans. We all know players change, and I have seen every great from Los Angeles leave except those playing now, and it hurts. However we always come back. The owners change too, but they last longer. It's time to see what Jim Buss can do and keep it in the family!

As for submitting this to other outlets, well, I am going to have to leave that to you guys who run this ship. You are the outlet that needs to get publicity, that you have the answers our fandom needs to hear. You have had some media exposure. LD2K had a video played pregame recently...Pros get paid to write their sensalitionsisms, I work for nothing (However courtside, or nearby, seats to a game would be great if the Lakers themselves like what I have to say, can you guys help me there? I promise plenty more history is coming soon in the appropriate forum, I am no where near done dragging the Boston Celtics franchise thrugh the mud. By the way, I recall when I was new you had some sort of an online radio debate going with Celtics fans. Get another one, I would love to take my arguments to them and have more of their fanbse learn the reality of who is really top dog in the NBA. My telephone voice is pretty good for discussions, many professionals have told me over the years)

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....nCelticsBusters

#18 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 02:40 PM

I tired of the professional sensationalists I like accurate reporting. For example. Though Kobe is older. Compare his playoffs to durants or roses. Or Westbrook or Chris Paul. Even game four. Kobe did his job. Kept us close through first quarter. But I digress. Lakers 55 is da man

#19 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,758 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 28, 2011 - 05:49 PM

As always, thanks for the history lesson Lakers_55.

#20 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:53 PM

As always, thanks for the history lesson Lakers_55.

My sentiments exactly.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users