Photo

Lakers Draft Day 2011

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: What is next? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the Draft day move?

1. Hold 2nd round picks, draft best player on the board (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Hold 2nd round picks, draft young international/raw early exits from college (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Package 2nd rounds picks, with a current Laker to move up into first round (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Package CURRENT Laker and other assets to get a CURRENT NBA PLAYER (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,838 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:09 PM

The Lakers did not win it all in 2010-2011, but, the window is not closed.
What is the first step in moving forward.

Lakers Draft Day picks:

2011 second round draft pick (41) from Golden State
Golden State's own 2011 2nd round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers [Golden State - New Jersey, 9/21/2009, and then Houston - Los Angeles Lakers - New Jersey, 12/15/2010]

2011 second round draft pick (46) from New York
New York's own 2011 2nd round pick to the L.A. Lakers. [L.A. Lakers - New York, 6/25/2009]

2011 Lakers second round draft (56) pick

2011 second round draft pick (58) from Miami
Miami's own 2011 2nd round pick to the L.A. Lakers. [L.A. Lakers - Miami, 6/25/2009]

Players on the Roster next year, or could be traded.

Kobe Bryant $25,240,000
Pau Gasol $18,714,150
Andrew Bynum $$14,900,000
Lamar Odom $8,900,000
Ron Artest $6,790,640
Luke Walton $5,680,000
Steve Blake $4,000,000
Derek Fisher $3,400,000

Players that COULD come back

Shannon Brown $2,149,200
Matt Barnes $1,765,000

The 2nd rounders from last year

Devin Ebanks $736,420
Derrick Caracter $736,420

And then Trey Johnson

What should be done?
What could be done?
Home runs do not come often in the 2nd round... Luke Walton is the lakers BEST recent 2nd round pick for comparison...

Personally, i think that the Lakers should draft some young international players who can stay overseas for a while.
But, if someone who the team has an eye on drops, they should not be afraid to pounce and move up.

I think Ebanks and Caracter could get mins next season if they return. Both might be better then any players the lakers can draft in the 41, 46, 56, 58 spots...

I could list 20-50 names that neither you or I have ever heard of, but i will pass on that, and just give a link

http://www.draftexpr...p-100-Prospects

Long way until June 23rd...

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:19 PM

There are a LOT of prospects in the draft. I'm not going to say that it's loaded and could be one of the better drafts of the last 10 years, but the Lakers can take a couple of these second-rounders and turn them into very good bench players, if they pay attention to the workouts.

I'll probably write something up on all 60 picks...not really sure yet. I have no trouble talking pros/cons with most of the American players, but dipping into the mid and late second round of international guys...I haven't seen many (if any) of them play, at all.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 28, 2011 - 08:20 AM

If we make all four picks, I will be very surprised (although we could always pick for other teams).

I think at least 2 of the 4 picks will be in a trade. The Lakers do want to get younger but considering that you could Ebanks, Caracter, plus four other 2nd rounders on your roster is not something the Lakers will want to work with.

Next should be interesting though with Ebanks/Caracter. Both are defensive type players and now with a defensive coach, you could see them get a lot of playing time if they are able to make an impact on that end of the floor.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Next should be interesting though with Ebanks/Caracter. Both are defensive type players and now with a defensive coach, you could see them get a lot of playing time if they are able to make an impact on that end of the floor.

I'm not so sure about Caracter. He's more of an offensive threat. He shows signs of having a decent offensive skillset, but he just didn't use any of the tools he possesses...and while a lot of that was because he didn't get the playing time to do so, he also wasn't as aggressive as I figured he'd be when he was on the floor.

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,838 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I'm not so sure about Caracter. He's more of an offensive threat. He shows signs of having a decent offensive skillset, but he just didn't use any of the tools he possesses...and while a lot of that was because he didn't get the playing time to do so, he also wasn't as aggressive as I figured he'd be when he was on the floor.

Caracter also showed he has the hands of Kwame Brown...

I am intruiged with both Ebanks and Caracter...

And, if Artest or Barnes goes, Ebanks should get mins...
AND, if Gasol or Odom goes, Caracter should get mins

As for the lakers courtet of 2nd round picks this year...

STASH AWAY INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS!!!!
Start drafting QUAILITY international players, who are ALREADY ESTABLISHED, and then bring them over in a couple years.
I have always thought the lakers have never taken advantage of their 2nd rounds picks, and players from overseas.

Stash away a few players...
Grab a raw kid out of Africa who just piked up a basketball a few months ago...
Draft a fast brazilian guard with some handle, who just needs some shooters to pass to...
Draft some big tall Center from former Yugoloslavia...

The lakers almost NEVER sign their 2nd round picks...
So why not throw out some international feelers...

For every Sun Yue, there is a Marc Gasol...

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 02:46 AM

For every Sun Yue, there is a Marc Gasol...

You know that's not true.

Kevin Seraphin
Tibor Pleiss
Pape Sy
Paulo Prestes
Nemanja Bjellica (no idea if I spelled that correctly)

If I recall correctly, those were the international guys from last year's draft. None of them will be a Marc Gasol (or even be remotely close to a decent NBA player), trust me.

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,838 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 04:31 PM

You know that's not true.

Kevin Seraphin
Tibor Pleiss
Pape Sy
Paulo Prestes
Nemanja Bjellica (no idea if I spelled that correctly)

If I recall correctly, those were the international guys from last year's draft. None of them will be a Marc Gasol (or even be remotely close to a decent NBA player), trust me.

Okay...
Then...

For every 10 Sun Yues...
You get once Marc Gasol...

#8 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:37 AM

Okay...
Then...

For every 10 Sun Yues...
You get once Marc Gasol...

:laughing: :glasses:

#9 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,838 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 12:19 AM

Lakers drafted a young player who has good potential, MORRIS
And they drafted a 4 year player who is top 40 all-time in the NCAA for scoring...

Those 2 are good so far.

Then, drafted 2 players in the raw, international, Ibaka mold.
Im fine with that.

Then, traded one of them (near the last pick of the draft, for a future 2nd rounder)
I am fine with this too, pretty much every draft will be deeper then this, and almost every team will have a higher draft pick in future drafts then the 56 that the lakers traded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users