Photo

Celtics Have Plan For Josh Smith Sign-And-Trade Deal? (Pg. 5)

Worst sports town in USA Difficult to play in

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,578 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Josh Smith Wants To Explore Options In Free Agency

Josh+Smith+Indiana+Pacers+v+Atlanta+Hawk

By Jeff Schultz - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

When the cameras were on and media members stood two-deep around his locker, Josh Smith said what he was expected to say. He stunk, his team stunk and he hadn’t hadn’t even had time to think yet about whether his Hawks’ career was over or impending free agency because the season had just ended.

When the cameras were turned off and almost everybody, Josh Smith said what he really thought. Of course he knew this was probably it.

“As I walked off the court, everything just sort of hit me,” the Hawks’ forward said late Friday night. “Just the uncertainty of what the future holds. Just thinking about all of the relationships I’ve had here and the people who’ve crossed my path since I’ve been here. I just … I just don’t know.”

Does he want to come back?

“The only thing I know is I want to be able to experience free agency. I want to explore my options and see what’s out there. I don’t have any certain idea what’s going to happen.”

He didn’t sound like a guy eager to return. The fact most in attendance Friday night didn’t sound eager for him to be back — screaming the usual “Nooooooooos!” when he pulled up for jumpers and booed when he missed — speaks volumes about the situation.

The Hawks’ season ended Friday night. They lost 81-73 to the Indiana Pacers, losing the best-of-seven playoff series in six games.

There is no shortage of reasons why they’re done. Sharing dishonors at the top of the list: a one-basket/nine-point second quarter, a 15-minute stretch of the second and third quarter without a field goal going through the basket (the only hoop coming on a goaltending call) and the Hawks collectively shooting 33.3 percent.

The Hawks should have played like a desperate team. Instead, they just played like a defeated team. They were being blown out and booed in Philips Arena – which was only two-thirds filled, even if the Pinocchios in marketing and ownership called it a sellout – until coming to life in the last six minutes. (Too late.)

But the worst of the worse was Smith, and he knew it. If this was Smith’s final game as a Hawk – and that’s the guess here – it was as ugly of an ending as Chipper Jones’ final game with the Braves.

The difference: Jones didn’t get booed and slid into retirement as a franchise icon. Smith slides into free agency still a polarizing figure after nine seasons in Atlanta.

He shot five for 16 on a 14-point night, four-turnover night. He took the Hawks’ first shot of the night (a missed 22-footer). He missed seven of his first eight attempts. He threw away two passes in the first two and a half minutes of the second quarter.

With only 43 seconds left and Indiana leading 78-73, Smith fired up a three-point attempt (“Nooooo!”) that was partially blocked by David West.

Game over.

Smith and his defense against Paul George was the biggest reason the Hawks won two games in this series. He scored 29 points in Game 4. But he scored only 14 points in each of the next two games and shot a combined 10 for 32.

How much Smith’s shooting was because of poor decision making — the fans’ vote — and how much could be attributed to health reasons is uncertain. Smith conceded that the sprained ankle he suffered late in Game 2 bothered him the remainder of the series and hindered his ability to drive to the basket.

But that doesn’t explain everything. “My shot just wasn’t going,” he said.

Hawks coach Larry Drew, who has his own future to worry about, defended Smith.

“As a team, we didn’t do a good job with our shot selection. We settled. It wasn’t just Josh Smith,” he said.

“Josh Smith, we need to remember, while a lot of people talk about his shot selection, he brings a lot of other things to the table. His effort against an All-Star, Paul George, was absolutely phenomenal. Josh is a versatile guy. He brings a lot to the table.”

The backdrop suggests he’ll be bringing all aspects of his game, both positive and negative, to another team’s table next season. Smith is worn down being the lightning rod in Atlanta whenever something goes wrong with this team. He has been for a while.

Forget Smith previous comments about viewing himself as a max money player. If another team offers anything close to what the Hawks offer, Smith almost certainly will be gone.

Asked what he would say to fans to if this was his final game, Smith said, “If this was it, I’ll say something when it happens.”

I’m expecting that to happen. And it’s safe to say this wasn’t the way he wanted to go out.

http://www.myajc.com...ont-size: px;'>

• 40,395 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Josh Smith will more than likely be overpaid wherever he goes.

yo.

#83 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,886 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2013 - 10:19 PM

He'll be a Maverick or Rocket.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#84 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,578 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hawks To Seek Sign-And-Trade Scenarios For Josh Smith

Josh+Smith+Indiana+Pacers+v+Atlanta+Hawk

The Atlanta Hawks enter the offseason with Josh Smith's free agency amongst their most pressing issues.

The Hawks will likely seek sign-and-trade packages involving Smith in order to receive assets in return.

The Hawks also have cap space and are expected to pursue Dwight Howard.

Smith will be an unrestricted free agent.
http://www.bostonglo..._campaign=sm_tw

#85 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,578 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Celtics Have Plan For Josh Smith Sign-And-Trade Deal?

Josh+Smith+Charlotte+Bobcats+v+Atlanta+H

By Scott Schroeder on Jun 25 2013, 1:48p

Josh Smith could move to the Boston Celtics in a sign-and-trade deal once NBA free agency begins, according to Sean Deveney from Sporting News. The Celtics would only be able to bring Smith in if they're able to create a trade exception by moving Paul Pierce, though.

Despite being in the process of rebuilding, Boston isn't scheduled to have a ton of room for free-agent signings this summer. If the Celtics are able to net a trade exception by sending Pierce -- who is owed $15 million if not bought out for $5 million by the end of the week -- to a team that can take on his salary, however, it'd open more room for the Celtics to trade for a big name like Smith.

And, according to our friends over at CelticsBlog, the fan base wouldn't mind seeing Smith move to the Celtics:

Last summer, he joined the Celtics in L.A. for pre-season workouts, due mainly to his friendship with Rajon Rondo. He's a pogo stick in a bull's body, but the biggest question is whether or not he's a franchise player. His shot selection leaves a little to be desired, but paired with a pass-first PG, that could definitely change in Boston. If KG decides to close out his career in green, he could do wonders tutoring Smoove in the Celtic way.

http://www.sbnation....d-trade-celtics

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, June 25, 2013 - 10:59 AM.

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 11:51 AM

^ Interesting. He & Rondo seem alright together, but overall, Josh still isn't that #1 guy, nor maybe even #2 imo.

yo.

#87 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 25, 2013 - 02:25 PM

I get the talent with him,, but Rondo and Smith are not easy to coach. You're gonna have a new young coach deal with them...

Don't know why, but I see the Mavs or 76ers making a big push for him.

#88 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,395 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 25, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Please Celts take him so that over rated p.o.s. is out of the ATL. He's garbage.

#89 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,692 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 25, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Called it :laughing:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Please Celts take him so that over rated p.o.s. is out of the ATL. He's garbage.

I can see why you want him gone, especially after he called your own city the worst sports town of all. I don't blame you.

yo.

#91 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 914 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 25, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Didnt kobe dunk on him?

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 04:39 PM

^ kobe-dunk.gif

kobedunk1.0_standard_500.0.gif

yo.

#93 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,395 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 26, 2013 - 03:27 AM

its not a surprised KB postered him. Honestly Smith is as over rated as it gets. He usually hangs out no more than 1 foot from the paint to get blocks. And when hes forced to come out and guard someone to prevent dribble penetration this is what you get^,

Watch their playoff film vs the Pacers. Screen and rolls to get the ball handler in iso vs Smith. Over and over it was pathetic. Then the coach sent a weak side defender to help Smith guard his man high and it was jumpers in the corner all day. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users