Photo

Celtics Have Plan For Josh Smith Sign-And-Trade Deal? (Pg. 5)

Worst sports town in USA Difficult to play in

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:31 AM

And then probably KG would´ve of been traded to the Clippers, also.

Posted Image

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Josh Smith Says It’s Difficult Playing in Atlanta Because It’s Worst Sports Town in USA

http://blacksportson...ts-town-in-usa/

Josh Smith doesn’t have to worry about playing in Atlanta much longer, since he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

It appears, he is already lining up his excuse of why he is leaving. Instead of saying he just wants to go, he wants you to know it has been very difficult for him to play for such a timid fan base.

“It is a little difficult (playing in Atlanta),’ said Smith, an Atlanta native. ‘Last year like I was telling everybody, we were ranked No. 1 worst sports town in the United States.

Smith used Oklahoma City as an example of a team ‘bringing global attractions to a small city. …But you have to have those big names like the Kevin Durant’s and Russell Westbrook’s.’”

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Edited by    , March 11, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

yo.

#63 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,714 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yea Atlanta always seems like that team who's pretty good but never a real competitor at the championship. 

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Wonder how LakersGAFan feels about this.

yo.

#65 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:10 PM

He is so gone

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#66 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,464 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Come on down Smoove.
iyjywo.jpg

#67 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 03:04 AM

If we're willing to give a huge contract then i'd rather have a guard or a better SF. Spending your money on both smith and howard(if kobe reitres) isn't the ideal situation where guards are in charge nowadays. 

#68 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:50 AM

Wonder how LakersGAFan feels about this.

when it comes to the Hawks hes spot on. The Hawks dont have fans. When I go to see the Lakers vs Hawks its no problem getting good tickets. Thats pathetic. 

As far as the entire City being a bad sports town thats crazy talk.

Braves have a World Series Title and 5 WS appearances.

Falcons have 1 Super appearance and just reached the NFC Chip game.

GA Tech has won 4 National Titles in NCAA Basketball

And UGA (Athens about 30-45 mins away from ATL) has 2 NCAA Football National Chips and 12 SEC chips.

What about cities like Milwaukee. Or Cleveland. Or Cincinnati, Buffalo. Hell tell me what Phoenix has ever [expletive]ing won?

But when it comes to the Hawks its true that they dont get local support that the Lakers would get in LA.

Its not because the fans it because they field crap teams with headliners like Josh Smith, Joe Johnson and expect to sell out the arena...lol. Why would I pay to see those guys? Franchises are a business. They need to give their customers reasons to spend $150 on tickets. Josh Smith isnt even half a reason imo.

Why doesn't he reflect on all the post season games that him and Joe Johnson played like they were Houdini? Hes another over paid player that cant take responsibility for a lack of accomplishing anything. The guy makes 13.2 mill/season. And for what? 15 pts, 8 rebs and 2 blocks....lmao.

Edited by LakersGAFan, March 12, 2013 - 06:02 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#69 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,915 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted March 12, 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hey Smith, I think Lakers is a pretty good sports town (for basketball).

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#70 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 12, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hey Smith, I think Lakers is a pretty good sports town (for basketball).

you dont want him on LA man, Trust me. He gets hype and touches when hes the main guy on the Hawks. But put him on the Lakers and you wont get close to the same output.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#71 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Ya lets not bring retarded Lamar odom to this team please

If I have to see this guy throw up air balls and turn the ball over for 82 games I'll hang myself
Posted Image

#72 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,505 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Well, he should have just said he was playing with the Hawks, lol.

I don't want Smith in L.A., loves shooting jumpers that he cannot make, and a lot of them too, lol.

Edited by Hey, March 12, 2013 - 05:46 PM.

MMiRi9s.png

#73 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,596 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Comes to LA and play alongside with your BFF, Josh. Sign a cheap contract.

#74 Ace

Ace

Rookie

• 587 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Josh Smith Says It’s Difficult Playing in Atlanta Because It’s Worst Sports Town in USA

http://blacksportson...ts-town-in-usa/

Josh Smith doesn’t have to worry about playing in Atlanta much longer, since he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

It appears, he is already lining up his excuse of why he is leaving. Instead of saying he just wants to go, he wants you to know it has been very difficult for him to play for such a timid fan base.

“It is a little difficult (playing in Atlanta),’ said Smith, an Atlanta native. ‘Last year like I was telling everybody, we were ranked No. 1 worst sports town in the United States.

Smith used Oklahoma City as an example of a team ‘bringing global attractions to a small city. …But you have to have those big names like the Kevin Durant’s and Russell Westbrook’s.’”

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

BE THE BIG NAME.

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't. -Jerry Rice

#75 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,093 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:31 AM

you dont want him on LA man, Trust me. He gets hype and touches when hes the main guy on the Hawks. But put him on the Lakers and you wont get close to the same output.

He wouldn't be asked to put out the same output. He'd probably be asked to mainly play defense and he wouldn't be the "go to" guy. So he'd have less opportunities to do the things people bash him for.

Especially given our lineup and point guards a majority of his shots wouldn't be jumpers they'd be on the cuts and in the post.

The difference between the Lakers and the Hawks is that the Lakers wouldn't need the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#76 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,596 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Source: Josh Smith 'Highly Unlikely' To Return To Hawks In 13-14

Josh+Smith+Atlanta+Hawks+v+Boston+Celtic

Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports

Josh Smith is staying home — in Atlanta with the Hawks. For the time being.

The Atlanta native and subject of intense trade discussions was not dealt Thursday, and he will play the rest of the season for the Hawks, who are 29-23 and in sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

On Thursday, Smith said Atlanta will be on his list of teams he considers when he becomes a free agent. However, all politics is local. The Atlanta native does not want to irritate the home fans, but a person familiar with Smith's plans told USA TODAY Sports that it is "highly unlikely" that Smith re-signs with Atlanta. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the private nature of the negotiations.

Smith, 27, had been the top player projected to be traded with an expiring contract that will pay him $13.2 million this season.

But after considering trade proposals from several teams, including a down-to-the-wire offer from the Milwaukee Bucks, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry decided to keep Smith.

Ferry, unsure if the Hawks wanted to re-sign Smith or if Smith wanted to re-sign in the offseason, searched for a deal, trying to get some value in exchange for Smith. Ultimately, Ferry didn't like the offers he received.

"We value Josh," Ferry told NBA TV. "He's been important to our program here the last several years, and I've enjoyed working with him this year. He's an important part of this team, and we look forward to finishing the year well with him."

Smith averages 17.2 points and 8.6 rebounds for the Hawks. In his nine seasons, all in Atlanta, he has averaged 15.2 points and eight rebounds.

Ferry has been remaking the team's roster since taking over in June. The team is nearly $40 million under the salary cap headed into the offseason and has seven contracts that expire after 2012-13. Atlanta also has team options on two other players.

That is significant money to spend on next season's payroll. Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard and Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul are the expected centerpieces of the 2013 free-agent class, but luring either player to Atlanta will be difficult. Ferry will try, especially in regards to Howard, who like Smith, is from Atlanta. Expect Ferry to go after Howard aggressively.

The Brooklyn Nets, Phoenix Suns, Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards and Bucks were among teams that had at least cursory discussions with Atlanta.

Atlanta's decision to keep Smith thrills a team like the Houston Rockets or Denver Nuggets, who could sign him as a free agent. Smith can earn a max contract starting with next season, but on Thursday, Smith said he has never asked for a max contract.

But he does want to get paid. If Smith lands with another team next season, the max contract he can receive is for four years, $72.39 million, starting at $16.95 million in 2013-14.

Since Atlanta holds Smith's Bird rights, it can offer him a five-year, $97.49 million deal. While that's a lot of money to leave on the table, both sides might be ready for a fresh start without the other. There's no bad blood. Just time to move on. There are good breakups.

Smith will be just 31 years old when he is due for a new contract in 2017-18. After this summer's lucrative deal, he will have the opportunity for another big payday in his early 30s.

http://www.usatoday....traded/1935331/

• 40,400 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:23 PM

^ That is incredibly shocking.

yo.

#78 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,596 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hawks Offered Josh Smith Three-Year, $45M Extension

Josh+Smith+Atlanta+Hawks+v+Los+Angeles+L

The Atlanta Hawks offered Josh Smith a three-year, $45 million contract extension before the season.

According to sources, the talks never got serious because Smith made it clear that he wanted to make it to free agency.

League rules on extensions kept the Hawks from offering anything longer than three extra years during the season.

The Hawks then tried hard to trade Smith prior to February's deadline.

http://espn.go.com/n...3/awards-ballot

#79 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,933 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 19, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Obviously, there are plenty of sports fans in Atlanta; however, because it is such a transplant city, many residents don't follow the local teams unless they are really good.

Also, the teams do not have a long sports history the way that northern teams do, meaning that there are not several generations of fans in the same family.

The Braves are the most popular, but they are very much a southern team. The attending fan base is from Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, and to an extent, Kentucky and Louisiana. But these people, mainly attend games in the summer and are not candidates to attend weekday home games in April, May and September.
The local fan base is strong, but due to transportation issues in the city and near the stadium, most suburbanites avoid games Monday - Thursday.

The Hawks have no history. When they are competing, local fans will show up for play-off games, though. I attended games 3 & 6 of the Celtics series in 2008 and the crowds were great. Game 6 was one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever attended and the home crowd was phenomenal. In fact, these crowds were only matched by the Mavs home crowd when they faced Utah in 2001 (games 3 and 4 - game 4 was the better crowd). Something about a team returning the playoffs after a long drought.

By comparison to the Braves, the Hawks do not have regional support extending all over the south. Accordingly, there aren't a lot of people who will travel several hours to see the Hawks play. However, people use the Hawks as a vehicle to see other teams stars and support their own favorite team (Lakers, Knicks, Lebron, Celtics).

The Falcons have developed a pretty good fan base. They have a good, but not great history. Football season is shorter, so small crowds are not as big an issue in the NFL.

Atlanta has lost not one, but two, hockey teams in its illustrious history. That's all you need to know.

Otherwise, Atlanta is the hub of the south and is a huge college football town. A large volume of Atlantans attended either an SEC or ACC school and take a lot of pride in the success of these schools. Accordingly, weekends see a lot of Atlantans traveling to college football games, and ignoring the plights of the local professional teams.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#80 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,564 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted April 21, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think ATL is a pretty good sports town. Clearly Smoove isn't a baseball fan. The Braves rule Atlanta.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users