Photo

Celtics Have Plan For Josh Smith Sign-And-Trade Deal? (Pg. 5)

Worst sports town in USA Difficult to play in

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:45 AM

Come to the Lakers for a Veteran Minimum ! :rock:

33bkfif.jpg

#22 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,883 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 16, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Come to the Lakers for a Veteran Minimum ! :rock:

So many things wrong with that statement.

#23 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,694 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted January 26, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Josh Smith Seeks Maximum Level Contract

Posted Image

By Jeff Schultz

Nine seasons into Josh Smith’s career and the talking points haven’t changed much. But that’s not what really matters.

Doesn't matter that Smith can be the best player on the court, or the reason your head hurts. Doesn’t matter that he often has been the only Hawks player worth the cost of a ticket, or the one that makes you rip the ticket in pieces. Doesn’t matter that he probably deserved to be an All-Star in the last three years, even if those in power to fill out the All-Star roster seem to view him as a life form just north of algae.

This is all that matters right now about Smith, specifically regarding his tenuous future with the Hawks: His contract is expiring and his asking price for a new one is going to be high. It's going to hit the ceiling. It's why his days in Atlanta may be numbered.

“I feel like I’m a max player,” Smith said Friday.

And yes, that is the first time he has said that.

“I feel I bring a lot to the table. I have a lot of versatility. For what I do and what I give this ball club, I feel like I’m worth it.”

The Hawks have given one max contract in their history. It turned Joe Johnson into a very rich man (six years, $123.6 million) and the Hawks into a punch line. So which way do you think the wind might be blowing on this?

Granted, in the new collective bargaining agreement, Smith's max deal would be nearly as high as Johnson's: about $94 million over five years. But it still could give the organization reason to balk.

Smith again: “There shouldn’t be any hesitation. I’m Josh Smith, I’m not anybody else. I ‘m not Michael Jordan, I’m not LeBron James, I’m not Brook Lopez. I’m Josh Smith. You can’t look at what might’ve happened with another person. Let’s say Joe. You can’t say, ‘I’m skeptical of giving another person that’ because of whatever they feel like happened."

If you were waiting for the line in the sand, there it is.

Smith's comments came after the shoot-around Friday morning. He is central to trade rumors. He recently was suspended for a game. If he appeared distracted that night against Boston, it could be understood. Instead, he reaffirmed his importance. The Hawks, down by as many as 27 points in the second quarter, staged one of the most improbable comebacks in franchise history and beat the Celtics 123-111 in double overtime.

At the center of the comeback was Josh Smith. While the Hawks couldn't manage this sleight of hand without Kyle Korver's eight three-pointers, Smith dented Boston at both ends of the court: 17 points, 14 rebounds, seven assists, two blocked shots. His defense on Paul Pierce (4 of 13), particularly in the second half and overtime, buried the Celtics.

"Josh played big," Drew said later. "It just shows the talent that he has."

Of course, talent has never been the issue.

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21. This much we know: If general manager Danny Ferry really wanted to trade Smith, he would've done so before the season. He managed to trade Johnson to Brooklyn. Relatively speaking, trading Smith would be as difficult as fingerpainting.

Smith has lived with trade rumors for more than two years. But there's a greater sense of urgency to them now because his contract is expiring and Ferry, in the middle of a rebuilding project, might not want to overcommit to one player.

Until Friday, Smith had been saying the right things about his future in Atlanta. But now he seems less committal.

Asked if he had a preference, he responded: "No. I don’t know. I don’t have a preference for anything right now, except to try to make the playoffs."

The one game suspension Jan. 16 didn't sit well with him. But what upset him more was that word of Drew throwing him out of practice, following an argument, leaked out publicly.

"You have blowups and disagreements but in most championship-caliber organizations they keep it internal," he said. "They don’t try to broadcast a situation, as far as putting a player out there. That’s a problem."

Drew actually praised Smith, saying, "He's showing a level of leadership I haven’t seen before."

Of the argument, he said, "Josh is an emotional guy. We were losing and emotions were high. I was pretty testy that day as well.”

I’m predisposed to liking Smith. His skill set aside, few athletes are as passionate or care as much as him. Flaws? Sure. But he has come a long way. He has matured. He's 27 now with a wife, two young children and a third on the way.

“Kids mature you," he said. "You look at things from a different perspective."

He's not the same kid. He understands his future may be elsewhere. If the Hawks believe this decision will come down to something other than money, they're mistaken.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jeff-schultz/2013/jan/25/josh-smith-i-feel-im-max-player/

#24 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 26, 2013 - 01:01 PM

Not in this cba
Posted Image

• 40,556 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Crazy pills.

yo.

#26 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 26, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Max deal? He is so inconsistent that it isn't even funny. I'd love him on our team for his defense, but not for the max. That's just ridiculous. :laughing:

• 40,556 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 03:39 PM

These agents really over-inflate these guys' egos.

yo.

#28 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,694 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sources: Josh Smith's Reps and Hawks To Meet About Future

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Josh Smith's reps will speak with Hawks' GM Danny Ferry this week about Smith's future in ATL, sources say.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/295677838017843200

#29 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,316 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted January 29, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Posted Image

Expectations around the NBA are growing that the Atlanta Hawks will trade Josh Smith this season, according to a source.
Smith and the Hawks' management have seemed at odds over the past month and the two sides have reportedly met to discuss the forward's future.

#30 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,463 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted January 29, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Bring his ass here!!!!

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#31 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,694 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Source: Expectation Growing For Josh Smith Trade

Posted Image

Expectations around the NBA are growing that the Atlanta Hawks will trade Josh Smith this season, according to a source.

Smith and the Hawks' management have seemed at odds over the past month and the two sides have reportedly met to discuss the forward's future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-power-rankings--spurs-are-new-no--1-174735180.html;_ylt=AiLZnVvmwbx48lWN4b6DonILcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTJmMmsxanZ2BGludGwDdXMEbGFu

#32 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:05 PM

come over here !

33bkfif.jpg

#33 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Don't miss this golden opportunity just because Pau is playing with some semblance of consistency. Establishing hope in Gasol will backfire as the season goes on, we've seen this movie already. If the chance presents itself to land Smith, DO IT.

#34 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hopefully not to the lakers
Posted Image

#35 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'm still not confident in Pau's value. Hopefully him seeking a max contract is scaring a few teams off. Maybe the Lakers have a shot in that case.

Posted Image

#36 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:56 PM

Hopefully not here make it a 3 team and send him somewere else
Posted Image

#37 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,885 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Smith wants a max contract. Until he gets out I that delusional state I don't want him anywhere near here.

#38 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 30, 2013 - 01:33 PM

If no other team comes close to that, he won't get that from the team re-signing him either. It is possible if you think about the kind of players who have gotten max contracts in the past though.

Posted Image

#39 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,497 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Get Josh Smith! :pray: :pray: :pray:

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#40 Viper

Viper

Rookie

• 455 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Smith wants a max contract. Until he gets out I that delusional state I don't want him anywhere near here.

Let him leave then. I won't be too sad with a Big rotation of Howard/Clark/Hill/Metta at 4/one other cheap free agent pick up.

The brutal tax next year is going to be a factor in all the personnel decisions going forward.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users