Photo

Celtics Have Plan For Josh Smith Sign-And-Trade Deal? (Pg. 5)

Worst sports town in USA Difficult to play in

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,593 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 21, 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hawks and Josh Smith May Part Ways

Josh+Smith+Chicago+Bulls+v+Atlanta+Hawks

by Jeff Schultz

For seven seasons, Josh Smith has shown us that he can be the best player on the floor. For seven seasons, he has shown us that he can be the worst player on the floor. The fact these opposites often appear in the same game is what makes him so maddening.

This is why after seven seasons, it’s time to say goodbye.

Smith is not the biggest problem on the Hawks’ roster, he’s merely the greatest lightning rod for criticism. He’s not the player who has crippled the payroll and just followed the richest contract in NBA history — $123,658,089 — with his least-productive season. That would be Joe Johnson.

For as much as Smith is hammered for launching three-point shots, he had a better shooting percentage from three-range this season (33.1 percent) than Johnson (29.7). Johnson battled some injuries (elbow, thumb). But so did Smith (knee), and he’s not supposed to be a three-point shooter. So who should we scream louder about?

Here’s the problem: Smith clearly is getting fed up as the Hawks’ player who’s constantly being duct-taped to a post in the middle of the town square.

I spoke to him the day following one bad shooting performance in the playoffs and he said, “I know sometimes I take shots I shouldn’t. But I’m not the only one in here who takes bad shots. I just get talked about more than anybody else.”

There is some truth to that. There’s also some truth to the fact that some of coach Larry Drew’s offensive sets leave Smith out in the corner, away from the basket, although that doesn’t mean he has to shoot from out there.

Smith’s slow boil continued when Drew called him out following a poor performance in Game 2 of the Chicago playoff series. (“I want him flying all over the place. I don’t want him sitting out there just shooting jump shots and trying to make plays off the dribble.”)

Then, following his phenomenal Game 4 performance against the Bulls (23 points, 16 rebounds, eight assists, two blocks, one steal), Smith seized the moment.

“The media is trying to ‘T.O.’ me,” he said, referencing NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens, a frequent target of blame.

He called his relationship with fans “a love-hate thing.” There’s no reason to believe that’s going to change.

The Hawks might finally be willing to trade Smith. But equally important is that Smith may actually welcome a trade. He needs a fresh start, with a new organization, new teammates and new fans – all some place far away from his hometown.

For as much as Smith is criticized, he is not a bad guy. He’s a good guy. He wants to succeed. He wants to be accepted and appreciated as much as anybody — if not more so, because he’s from Atlanta.

We get on the Hawks for sometimes looking like they just don’t care. That generally isn’t the problem with Smith. It’s more about him going after solutions in the wrong way.

The risk of trading Smith is that he finally turns into that consistent game-changer we’ve envisioned since his rookie season. The downside to not trading him now is if he doesn’t become that soon, his value on the trade market will plummet.

Hawks general manager Rick Sund wanted to give the core of this team one more chance to show what it can do. There was improvement this postseason – upsetting Orlando and taking Chicago to six games without their starting point guard – but this probably is as far as this unit can go.

Johnson can’t be traded because of his contract. Al Horford won’t be traded because he’s the team’s most consistent player. Jeff Teague suddenly shows promise. That leaves Smith as the only player who other teams really want. They see great potential without a long-term commitment (two years left on his contract).

Dealing Smith gives the Hawks a chance to acquire a legitimate starting center. Teague’s ascent opens the possibility of including Kirk Hinrich and his expiring $8.1 million contract in the trade.

There are options. But after seven years, Smith’s exit would be beneficial for both parties.

http://blogs.ajc.com..._medium=twitter

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, June 25, 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#2 LakerGang_*2013Champs*

LakerGang_*2013Champs*

Rookie

• 513 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:Since I Was Born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2011 - 12:00 AM

One of my favorite players :rock:
Posted Image
^Props To Vaporize

My YouTube Channel | @Y0uCantBeatLA

#3 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,688 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 22, 2011 - 09:14 AM

I wouldn't want him unless we can get him for a couple bench players (Shannon, Blake, Luke, Barnes, maybe Artest) I would rather have Lamar than him TBH.

#4 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,444 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 09:48 AM

I wouldn't want him unless we can get him for a couple bench players (Shannon, Blake, Luke, Barnes, maybe Artest) I would rather have Lamar than him TBH.

Agreed. Josh Smith would drive Lakers fans crazy. It would be like watching a guy jack up 3's and make the stupidest decisions with the ball in his hands.

Edited by Mr. Me 2, May 22, 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#5 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted May 22, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Agreed. Josh Smith would drive Lakers fans crazy. It would be like watching a guy jack up 3's and make the stupidest decisions with the ball in his hands.

We've been watchin Ron for the last two years...

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#6 Mega X Chiefs .

Mega X Chiefs .

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Hometown team, but I truly became a fan after Shaq left.
  • Fav. Laker:Magic..it's Showtime!

Posted May 28, 2011 - 11:01 PM

For whatever reason, I don't see Josh Smith ever being a part of a championship team..so obviously I wouldn't want him as a Laker.

Hope he goes somewhere else and gets a fresh start though, he'd be nasty in Washington with Wall, Young/Crawford/ Lewis and McGee..

I got FIVE RINGS, headed to the next hand..
That means FIVE THINGS, better than the next man..

#7 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,445 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:25 PM

He'd fit in well with the Warriors, maybe trade David Lee or Monta Ellis?
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#8 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,593 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Report: Extension For Josh Smith Unlikely

Posted Image

By Steve Aschburner

Pick your poison.

Would you rather have Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, highly motivated, driven to have the best of what will be nine NBA seasons after this one, improving on 2011-12 numbers (18.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 21.1 PER) that were better than anything he had done before and hitting the free-agent market as one of the plums of 2013? Or Josh Smith, gone sideways, cranky over nonstop questions about his contract status, the object of repeated trade rumors and all of that affecting his market value to other teams and also his production for the Hawks?

Hawks management already has made its choice, apparently. It is banking on the former while accepting some risk of the latter by stating that a contract extension this season for Smith is unlikely. Chris Vivlamore of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution spoke with Atlanta’s new GM for the paper’s NBA blog:

According to Hawks general manager Danny Ferry, Smith and his agents have said he would like to remain in Atlanta.

“I’ve been clear that I value Josh as a player,” Ferry told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “He has worked hard this summer and I believe he is going to have great season. I’ve been in contact with his representatives. Josh and his representatives have been clear that he is excited about the direction of the team and wants to be part of the future in Atlanta. That being said, I don’t expect the contract situation to be resolved until next summer.”

Smith’s affinity for Atlanta and history with the Hawks are two reasons Ferry feels secure in an approach different from, for example, the Philadelphia 76ers’ strategy in trying to re-up center Andrew Bynum before next summer. Of course, the newly acquired Bynum – as potentially the league’s second-ranked center – has a whole different market than Smith. He’s new to the Sixers and even though he is a native of nearby Plainsboro, N.J., he has spent the past seven years in Los Angeles. Better to lock in than risk Bynum departing for a glitzier destination.

Smith, of course, also could go. And after Atlanta’s trades of Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, a chunk of recent history – five straight playoff appearances, near-All-Star status last season for Smith – could exit with him.

Obviously the difference under the new CBA rules between three more years now (extension) and five more next summer (re-signing with Atlanta) is a big part of this. But a general lack of trust in Smith as a franchise player, that tricky – and nearly decade-old – equation of his skills and (still) his potential vs. leadership, team focus and his worthiness to be a “max” guy are at play too.

If J-Smoove plays his way to such a deal, as the active, intimidating 6-foot-9 force at both ends he can be, the Hawks will likely reward him. If he treats his next contract like a birthright and assumes that he’s due to slot into Johnson’s spot in the payroll, he might end up elsewhere. Next summer or sooner.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/09/26/no-deal-puts-smith-hawks-on-clock/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,706 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:28 PM

You may see him end up here cuz him and howard are friends and the team is getting old so we need young players.

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:29 PM

You'd love ATL Pau

Pau Gasol is GONE

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,706 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:46 PM

You'd love ATL Pau

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

#12 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,593 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Report: Josh Smith Will Not Sign Extension With Hawks

Posted Image

- Josh Smith has told the Hawks that he isn't going to sign an extension during the season. He'd rather wait to become a free agent, when he can get a five-year deal. An extension would limit him to a three-year deal, according to the new CBA rules. New GM Danny Ferry has upwards of 10 players who could be free agents at season's end. … The heart of Andre Iguodala's criticism of Doug Collins — "it was just draining for the criticism to be there every single day" — is the very reason the Sixers overhauled their roster, importing new players like Andrew Bynum, Nick Young, Jason Richardson, Kwame Brown and Dorell Wright for this season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-lin-rockets-bargained-article-1.1182684?localLinksEnabled=false

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,040 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 15, 2012 - 12:10 AM

isn't this always the case?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#14 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted October 15, 2012 - 02:03 AM

I could see Dwight trying to get him here. Depends on Pau.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#15 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted October 15, 2012 - 04:42 AM

doubt ATL would do this. Pau for Josh is not happening anytime soon. I see no way they would do it because its not like Pau would fill the arena in ATL. Plus ATL already said they are not looking to take in salary. I can see Josh being traded just not to LA.
Posted Image

#16 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,706 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 12:36 PM

doubt ATL would do this. Pau for Josh is not happening anytime soon. I see no way they would do it because its not like Pau would fill the arena in ATL. Plus ATL already said they are not looking to take in salary. I can see Josh being traded just not to LA.

If he was traded here it would be a 3 way involvig pau. But yea ATL wouldnt want pau. Though we cant do a sign and trade with him next offseason cuz were over the cap so that limits us to getting him for like 2 years unless we get him this season which I doubt will happen. Too bad he didnt go FA when we have cap space but there will be others out there that we can get then so not a huge deal.

#17 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yeah a 3 team deal i can def see being done.
Posted Image

#18 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:48 PM

He's holding out for the 5-year extension at the end of the year. It's going to be the typical procedure under the new CBA.

I don't see him forcing his way out of ATL, he's going to be made a focal point of their offense alongside Horford with Iso-Joe up in Brooklyn. Ideal situation for him. I don't know which teams will have enough cap space next summer (or a good enough location) to entice him to come sign with them.

#19 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:49 PM

Maybe dallas?
Posted Image

#20 underworldmike

underworldmike