• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Posted Image

Arizona Wildcat forward Derrick Williams isn't lacking confidence. As a matter of fact, it appears he has an overabundance of it.

In a statement after finding out Tuesday night that the Cleveland Cavaliers would have the first pick in the NBA Draft, Williams shared why he'd be the best option with the first pick.

"I think I'm the No. 1 pick because I have more star quality I would think," the small forward said. "I'm just a bigger person. Just trying to fill in for a big star like LeBron like they're missing. That missing piece. I think that's me."

http://www.arizonasports.com/?nid=82&sid=1416330

#2 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,803 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 08:56 PM

13z8pc6.jpg

#3 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 19, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Who?

Posted Image

#4 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:01 PM

It's weird that this came out a friend of mine and I were talking about him going to cleveland and using his number 23... We know that LBJ is his idol, kind of funky that he said this though.

Posted Image

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:03 PM

Who?

You don't know who one of the best college basketball players this past season was?

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:03 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised if he was selected over Irving, because he could show out before the draft. Baron Davis is going to be in Cleveland for another two seasons, I believe...and while that's no green light to avoid a PG in the draft, I don't think Dan Gilbert has a reason to believe that Kyrie Irving can be a better player than Derrick Williams.

The truth is, it takes a lot of time for PG's to adjust to the game, for the most part. Irving isn't like Wall...he's a bit less talented, less defined in certain areas of the game, and he's also not as proven. We all knew what we were getting out of Derrick Rose, who was more NBA-ready than Irving as well.

Irving could run a team better, but there isn't much of a team to run. Is it possible that Derrick Williams would be more effective in that larger role? I'd say there's a chance.

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:09 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised if he was selected over Irving, because he could show out before the draft. Baron Davis is going to be in Cleveland for another two seasons, I believe...and while that's no green light to avoid a PG in the draft, I don't think Dan Gilbert has a reason to believe that Kyrie Irving can be a better player than Derrick Williams.

The truth is, it takes a lot of time for PG's to adjust to the game, for the most part. Irving isn't like Wall...he's a bit less talented, less defined in certain areas of the game, and he's also not as proven. We all knew what we were getting out of Derrick Rose, who was more NBA-ready than Irving as well.

Irving could run a team better, but there isn't much of a team to run. Is it possible that Derrick Williams would be more effective in that larger role? I'd say there's a chance.

I also think that Dan Gilbert may want to bring an exciting player back to the Cavs. Williams is a bit more flash then Irving so I think there is a good chance he goes #1.

If the Cavs do that, they can definitely shake up the next four picks. If the Wolves keep the pick, I don't see them taking Irving because they have Rubio (although you never know with them), but even though the Cavs are expected to take Kanter at #4, they could potentially have a chance to take Brandon Knight at #4 depending how the picks shake out.

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:22 PM

I also think that Dan Gilbert may want to bring an exciting player back to the Cavs. Williams is a bit more flash then Irving so I think there is a good chance he goes #1.

If the Cavs do that, they can definitely shake up the next four picks. If the Wolves keep the pick, I don't see them taking Irving because they have Rubio (although you never know with them), but even though the Cavs are expected to take Kanter at #4, they could potentially have a chance to take Brandon Knight at #4 depending how the picks shake out.

It would make a lot of sense. Only problem is, Cleveland has Baron, Sessions, and Gibson at the point. All three need to play the one, or else they are useless.

Anthony Parker should be a free agent as well, which puts Cleveland in a bind. They don't have a legitimate two-guard. Manny Harris, Christian Eyenga, Joey Graham...all of these guys shouldn't be starting in the league.

It will be interesting to see how they fill that two. The fourth pick in the draft won't produce a legit SG. Kawhi Leonard is an NBA small forward...possibly with the ability to play some two, don't know yet because I haven't seen him in the pros (lol).

Cleveland could shop the 4th pick, see if they can rake in a decent starting SG...or, just look to free agency, which is probably the most logical thing to do, but I don't know. I do know that Brandon Knight is going to play the point, wherever he goes (unless someone wants to ruin his career), and out of him and Kemba, Utah is more than likely thinking about tossing a coin right now.

#9 Inverse

Inverse

Rookie

• 445 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Mad Dog

Posted May 20, 2011 - 12:40 AM

Lol i played against Derrick in high school. The guy was a beast, but fill in for LeBron? If that's what he's implying, then he needs to slow his roll. I admire the confidence though.
Today I'm a prime minister and Today i passed a bill that gave kittens to life prisoners

#10 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 09:58 AM

Lol i played against Derrick in high school. The guy was a beast, but fill in for LeBron? If that's what he's implying, then he needs to slow his roll. I admire the confidence though.

I don't he is implying that he can match the production of Lebron right away. But what is saying is that Cleveland is missing that "superstar" type player and he feels he fill that void to get the fans excited again.

#11 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted May 20, 2011 - 04:06 PM

Cleveland could shop the 4th pick, see if they can rake in a decent starting SG...or, just look to free agency

Ron for that 4th pick, I know it'll never happen but I'd be NOICE :laughing:

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#12 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,013 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 02:59 PM

He means this lebron: http://www.cbsnews.c...2-10391697.html

since he is a wildcat :laughing:

#13 b.e.

b.e.

Rookie

• 260 posts
  • Name:Brendon

Posted May 22, 2011 - 12:21 PM

@ the guy who said Williams is a bit more flashy than Irving.... yeah right

Williams is the truth. I've said it so many times i watched him play throughout the Pac-10 tournament and during the year watched him drop 30 and 12 on multiple occasions. He has the body of a full grown man. When he dropped 25 in the first half to knock out duke in the NCAA tourney, he solidified himself in my mind as the nation's top NBA prospect. He is as clutch as they come, both offensively and defensively. I might sound like i'm riding his nuts but he is that damn good. Wouldnt be surprised one bit if he goes #1 overall.
Posted Image

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 04:06 PM

@ the guy who said Williams is a bit more flashy than Irving.... yeah right

Williams is the truth. I've said it so many times i watched him play throughout the Pac-10 tournament and during the year watched him drop 30 and 12 on multiple occasions. He has the body of a full grown man. When he dropped 25 in the first half to knock out duke in the NCAA tourney, he solidified himself in my mind as the nation's top NBA prospect. He is as clutch as they come, both offensively and defensively. I might sound like i'm riding his nuts but he is that damn good. Wouldnt be surprised one bit if he goes #1 overall.

You're taking what I said out of context just a little bit..

I did say he was a bit more flashy (when in reality I actually believe he is a lot more flashier than Irving), but what I mean by that is the Cavs are going to want to take the more exciting player because they don't have that since Lebron left. Irving will be a good player BUT I believe that Williams is going to be a beast in the NBA due to all the reason you stated. I follow Pac-10 basketball very closely as you do and I know how good of a player Williams is going to be from watching his games on TV or online. Most importantly, He has the confidence that players need to be successful in the NBA.

#15 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,512 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 04:17 PM

jamario moon tells himself the same thing

bw1wOGf.png

#16 b.e.

b.e.

Rookie

• 260 posts
  • Name:Brendon

Posted May 22, 2011 - 04:37 PM

You're taking what I said out of context just a little bit..

I did say he was a bit more flashy (when in reality I actually believe he is a lot more flashier than Irving), but what I mean by that is the Cavs are going to want to take the more exciting player because they don't have that since Lebron left. Irving will be a good player BUT I believe that Williams is going to be a beast in the NBA due to all the reason you stated. I follow Pac-10 basketball very closely as you do and I know how good of a player Williams is going to be from watching his games on TV or online. Most importantly, He has the confidence that players need to be successful in the NBA.

I feel it man. WIlliams is the best player in the draft, imo.
Posted Image

#17 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 22, 2011 - 11:05 PM

jamario moon tells himself the same thing

I loled :laughing:

#18 Mega X Chiefs .

Mega X Chiefs .

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Hometown team, but I truly became a fan after Shaq left.
  • Fav. Laker:Magic..it's Showtime!

Posted May 25, 2011 - 11:37 AM

If they draft him, he should wear 23 .. that would be epic.

I got FIVE RINGS, headed to the next hand..
That means FIVE THINGS, better than the next man..

#19 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:55 AM

With Khan as GM you just never know whats gonna pan out with the Twolves bro :laughing:

They'll prolly draft 2 more points they dont need.

#20 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,082 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 30, 2011 - 09:02 AM

They'll prolly draft 2 more points they dont need.

4 PGs and a center could be their starting lineup

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users