Devin Harris
Paul Milsap
Jeremy Evans

Jazz get:

Pau Gasol
Lamar Odom

I got my cap info here:
http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

I like it for the Lakers because it upgrades the PG while also still having a 2nd go to guy. Devin Harris isn't a great shooter, but he can get to the lane. He can also play defense. Paul Milsap is also a good 6th man who can do some of the things Lamar can. Al Jefferson can also play some C.

For Utah, it clears $4 mil in cap right away and it clears about $12 mil in salary after next season if they don't pick up Lamar's option. They do have to pay an extra season for Pau, but it clears more money in a good free agency class. After the trade, Utah would only have $29.5 mil on the books for that class assuming they decline Lamar's option and accept Favors' and Hayward's options. It all comes down to whether they want Al Jefferson as a building block. But, he's more of a PF and they already have Derrick Favors. Devin is a bit older than you would want as a piece to rebuild with.

Edited by Japago, May 16, 2011 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image

#2 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 448 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:29 PM

Beat it...

#3 priceyjohndoe

priceyjohndoe

Rookie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:42 PM

Good thinking but it all depends on who the next coach is - Phil Jackson never cared about upgrading his PG (Ron Harper, Derek Fisher, Craig Hodges, Steve Kerr etc) as it didn't suit his preferred style of play (and his superstars). This trade would also clog up the big men - Jefferson, Bynum and Milsap, while not giving Kobe the additional young athletic wingman he is now going to need to take some pressure off his aging legs.

Actually now that I think about it - can we get trevor Ariza back?

#4 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted May 17, 2011 - 12:50 AM

Utah would never do this. 3 young starters with potential for two big men with heavy mileage and are at the tail end of their prime?

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#5 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 17, 2011 - 02:08 AM

Utah would never do this. 3 young starters with potential for two big men with heavy mileage and are at the tail end of their prime?

I'll admit. It has a lot to do with what they think of Harris and Jefferson. Harris hasn't looked that great since 2009 and turns 29 next season. And, Jefferson has always been more of a PF than a C. Gasol is the same, but maybe they think of him as a better option at C because of his length. And, he's the better player overall unless his playoff performance is how he is now. Lamar is better than Milsap as well. Most of all, they free up $12 million after next season after declining Odom's option in a good free agent class. And, Jefferson and Milsap turn 27 next season. Will they be able to rebuild in the next few years without making the trade? If not, they go to waste as well.

Posted Image

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 17, 2011 - 06:43 AM

nuh uh

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 10:17 AM

If anybody else reads this, I tried other variations and it works without Milsap and adding Bell instead. They can also trade both. They would save $8 mil after next season trading Bell and keeping Milsap, and they would save $15.5 mil total by trading both. They would have $33.7 committed after next season trading Bell and keeping Milsap, and only $26 mil committed by trading both.

Posted Image

#8 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:03 AM

You dont trade young for old unless that old comes with draft picks, which the lakers only got in the form of 2nd rounders (as RD mentioned in another article somewhere) so I dont see this happening in real life.

#9 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:42 AM

Well, the Lakers traded future 1st rounders in the Gasol trade didn't they? Can't they do that?

The trade can be Harris for Odom straight up at the very least though. Harris turns 29 next season, so I don't think he'll be a key piece when they rebuild. I'm just hoping (maybe in vain) that Odom's expiring would be enough to get them to do Jefferson for Gasol as well. They do have Favors at PF already. I know they aren't going to be a first option for free agents, but they can get left overs and also be a team that has cap space when a team wants to unload talent, I.E. Beasley to Minnesota.

Edited by Japago, May 19, 2011 - 10:49 AM.

Posted Image

#10 b.e.

b.e.

Rookie

• 260 posts
  • Name:Brendon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 19, 2011 - 03:57 PM

Bad for BOTH teams, imo
Posted Image

#11 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 20, 2011 - 06:34 AM

Well, the Lakers traded future 1st rounders in the Gasol trade didn't they? Can't they do that?

The trade can be Harris for Odom straight up at the very least though. Harris turns 29 next season, so I don't think he'll be a key piece when they rebuild. I'm just hoping (maybe in vain) that Odom's expiring would be enough to get them to do Jefferson for Gasol as well. They do have Favors at PF already. I know they aren't going to be a first option for free agents, but they can get left overs and also be a team that has cap space when a team wants to unload talent, I.E. Beasley to Minnesota.

Wishful thinking, not gonna happen.

#12 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Even just for Harris? The dude turns 29 next season and still has a few years left on his contract. At least with Odom, they can opt out after next season.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 20, 2011 - 08:33 AM

Even just for Harris? The dude turns 29 next season and still has a few years left on his contract. At least with Odom, they can opt out after next season.

If you had Devin Harris would you seriously give him up for Lamar Odom when you dont need a Lamar Odom and your team doesnt
benifit from a Lamar Odom?

Be real dude, start thinking.

#14 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Devin is far from a star player anymore and has struggled since an excellent first half in 2008-2009. He's not young, he turns 29 next season. Lamar had a much better season than him in a lesser role nonetheless. And, he has a better contract. For rebuilding purposes, the best option for them would be to shed money for salary cap room IMO because at this point, he's not going to be a good piece for them when they get back into contention.

I don't know, tell me what I'm not seeing.

Edited by Japago, May 20, 2011 - 09:50 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 20, 2011 - 10:35 AM

Devin is far from a star player anymore and has struggled since an excellent first half in 2008-2009. He's not young, he turns 29 next season. Lamar had a much better season than him in a lesser role nonetheless. And, he has a better contract. For rebuilding purposes, the best option for them would be to shed money for salary cap room IMO because at this point, he's not going to be a good piece for them when they get back into contention.

I don't know, tell me what I'm not seeing.

What you arent seeing is that this is a point guards league, therfor point guards are worth more than Lamar Odoms.

#16 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 12:37 PM

A point guard that's too old to be a part of their future. By position, I guess he's more important. But for the future of the team, if freeing up major salary cap room is the best they can do, then the Lakers have a chance.

Posted Image

#17 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 22, 2011 - 01:18 AM

A point guard that's too old to be a part of their future. By position, I guess he's more important. But for the future of the team, if freeing up major salary cap room is the best they can do, then the Lakers have a chance.

If you say so.

#18 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 04:41 AM

I think we disagree with values. You think I'm overvaluing freeing up around $9 mil in cap room after next season and Lamar Odom and I think you're really overvaluing Devin Harris at this point. The Jazz have talked about "trying to replace Deron Williams" and I'm guessing that's another sign that Devin Harris is expendable. I don't think there's much we can do to change each others minds. Let's leave it at that.

Posted Image

#19 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted May 23, 2011 - 12:00 PM

I think we disagree with values. You think I'm overvaluing freeing up around $9 mil in cap room after next season and Lamar Odom and I think you're really overvaluing Devin Harris at this point. The Jazz have talked about "trying to replace Deron Williams" and I'm guessing that's another sign that Devin Harris is expendable. I don't think there's much we can do to change each others minds. Let's leave it at that.

Nah, you just swear the Jazz are looking to help us out.

When we got Pau Gasol it was because of Jerry West's help, is Jerry West pulling strings over in Utah? No.

So we aren't getting Devin for Lamar unless the Lakers move out of the Western Confrence over to the East,
no team in the west would pull the trigger on your trade because they aren't looking to help the Lakers get
more championships unless we have $$$ or some 1st round draft picks for them and we have neither.

#20 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I don't think Jazz are looking to help the Lakers. I just think Devin is not that valuable. Looks at how he's been since half way through the 08/09 season. He's been mediocre. I think he's been mediocre and he's old enough that the Jazz might give him up just for a big salary dump since he's not going to do much for them anyway.

Edited by Japago, May 23, 2011 - 12:55 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users