8 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:38 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,5854412.story

NFL players saw the labor fight tip in their favor Monday as a federal judge ordered the league to end its lockout, meaning football will continue while owners and players bicker over how to divide more than $9 billion in annual revenue.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson in St. Paul, Minn., ordered an end to the 7-week-old lockout, saying she believed the players' argument that the situation was causing irreparable harm to their careers.

"It's one step closer to trying to do what we brought this case for — to make sure that there's football, that players can play and fans can watch," players attorney Jim Quinn told The Times in a phone interview.

Now, the ball is in the court of the NFL, which will attempt to get a stay of the ruling — keeping the lockout in place — from Nelson. The NFL already has filed a notice with the U.S. 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis, questioning whether the district court exceeded its jurisdiction. . A lockout is a vital leverage tool for the owners, because players are much more likely to be willing to negotiate a new labor agreement if they're being denied paychecks in the interim.

"We believe that federal law bars injunctions in labor disputes," the NFL said in a written statement. "We are confident that the 8th Circuit will agree. But we also believe that this dispute will inevitably end with a collective bargaining agreement, which would be in the best interests of players, clubs and fans. We can reach a fair agreement only if we continue negotiations toward that goal."

The ruling will not affect this week's draft, which was put in place as the last piece of the now-expired CBA. But because there is no longer a players union — the NFL Players Assn. decertified as a union last month — the league is in peril of running afoul of antitrust laws with each decision the owners make collectively.

"Right now they're on very risky ground," said Quinn, who co-chairs global litigation for Weil, Gotshal & Manges.

Chargers and football on Sundays. YEAH :rock: :rock: :rock:

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 25, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I hope something meaningful comes out of this. And by that I mean...I hope things move forward now.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted April 25, 2011 - 09:00 PM

goin to bed happy cause of this :rock: VICK-A-DELPHIA [expletive]!

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 26, 2011 - 01:44 AM

Uneleceted, unsupervised, government officials are dictating to private buisness what to do....

AND....
YOU ARE CHEERING THIS?

This judge has clearly overstepped the bounds of whats government should do.

This should be overturned!
No judge should be able to tell a business how to run itself.

This is just wrong...

The outcome might be cool... Yay... NFL...
But, the implications?

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted April 26, 2011 - 06:30 AM

Uneleceted, unsupervised, government officials are dictating to private buisness what to do....

AND....
YOU ARE CHEERING THIS?

This judge has clearly overstepped the bounds of whats government should do.

This should be overturned!
No judge should be able to tell a business how to run itself.

This is just wrong...

The outcome might be cool... Yay... NFL...
But, the implications?

It's simple really...the players have a right to earn their paychecks and the fans have a right to see their teams. I've said it before...I'll say it again: The NFL is BIG business.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted April 26, 2011 - 07:20 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6429889

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson granted the players' request for an injunction to lift the lockout on Monday, ending the NFL's work stoppage in its 45th day but prompting an immediate notice from the league that it will appeal.

Jets players Brandon Moore, Mike DeVito, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Jerricho Cotchery all reported to their team facility Tuesday morning as did two Redskins, linebacker Lorenzo Alexander and receiver Anthony Armstrong.

The Redskins players were met by general manager Bruce Allen and told they were allowed in the building but could not work out. They both left after a few minutes.

"It was a little weird," Armstrong said. "It felt like you were sneaking into the club or something like that, and they knew you weren't supposed to be in there but they hadn't done anything about it yet. Just a little awkward."

Alexander said he would call other teammates to let them know there wasn't much reason to show up.

"It was not a scene or nothing," Alexander said. "I picked up my mail, and I'll go work out now where I've been training at. ... I do have a lockout bonus, and since the lockout is lifted out, I wanted to make sure I took full advantage to come up here and work out because I don't want some technicality to happen later: 'You didn't show up. You didn't come.' And then I'm out of my workout bonus."

The NFL has filed a notice of appeal questioning whether Nelson exceeded her jurisdiction, seeking relief from the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis. It also wants Nelson to put her ruling on hold to let the appeals process play out.

Nelson's ruling was another rebuke of the NFL in the federal courts in Minnesota, which was established years ago as the venue for the league's collective bargaining system. Three weeks ago, NFL attorney David Boies suggested to Nelson that she shouldn't have jurisdiction over a dispute with an unfair bargaining accusation against the players pending with the National Labor Relations Board.

In her ruling, Nelson rejected that contention and recognized the NFL Players Association's decision to "de-unionize" as legitimate because it has "serious consequences" for the players.

In an opinion piece posted late Monday on the Wall Street Journal's website, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wrote that Nelson's ruling "may significantly alter professional football as we know it. ... By blessing this negotiating tactic (recognizing the players' right to dissolve their union), the decision may endanger one of the most popular and successful sports leagues in history."

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 30, 2011 - 04:25 AM

Just saw it on ESPN
The owners appeal in the 8th circuit appelate court and the Judge rules to
RE-INSTATE THE LOCKOUT

Players have been ordered to leave the training/workout facilities this morning.

:huh:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/nfl-officially-reinstates-lockout/related

NFL officially reinstates lockout, 11:45PM EDT

The lockout is no longer enjoined.

After reviewing the temporary stay which was granted Friday evening by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, the NFL officially notified teams that the lockout is back on.

“The clubs have been told that the prior lockout rules are reinstated effective immediately,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Teams can no longer pass out playbooks or have contact with their players. Weightrooms and team facilities will be closed again.

It only seems fitting in this insane offseason that this announcement would be made after 11 p.m. ET after day two of the NFL Draft. The league can’t let fans enjoy even one weekend.

The stay is only temporary. The court is expected to officially rule on a longer stay sometime next week.

Unfortunately, we won’t have the draft to distract us then.

Edited by LakersGAFan, April 30, 2011 - 04:28 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 05:33 AM

how does one court rule one thing...and another court rules something else? [expletive] the judicial system

Edited by Windu, April 30, 2011 - 05:33 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 30, 2011 - 08:02 AM

I always say this....
the answer is $

but other than that dude I got no clue.
But I had a feeling it wasnt gonna end that easy.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users