Bynum off the bench?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted October 07, 2008 - 10:46 AM

OC Register: EL SEGUNDO- Welcome to Lamar Odom's starting-lineup limbo, Andrew.

Unless Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol find a flow on the floor together soon, Bynum could begin the regular season on the Lakers' bench.

"It has been mentioned," Lakers consultant Tex Winter said of the coaching staff's internal discussions. "We played pretty well last year without him."

If Lakers head coach Phil Jackson were still toting that cane around, he'd have spent most of training camp pointing it up at Bynum and Gasol, both 7 feet tall, and what they have been doing wrong as a twin-tower tandem.

"Right now, they're very clumsy; they're not working well together," Jackson said. "We've got a group that played very well together last year. There are some things that we have to discuss and see how long we drag this out – or how quickly we facilitate it, because I think we have got the ability to play exceptionally well if we use all our skill players."

#2 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 07, 2008 - 10:54 AM

No way. If we keep Bynum out of the starting lineup, our team will still lack what we needed in the Finals to beat the Celtics: size, inside presence, shot-blocking. Bynum MUST start.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#3 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted October 07, 2008 - 01:19 PM

No way. If we keep Bynum out of the starting lineup, our team will still lack what we needed in the Finals to beat the Celtics: size, inside presence, shot-blocking. Bynum MUST start.

Exactly what I was gonna say. If Bynum and Gasol can't work well together then Pau should be the one coming off the bench.
Basketball Reasons...

#4 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted October 07, 2008 - 01:39 PM

Exactly what I was gonna say. If Bynum and Gasol can't work well together then Pau should be the one coming off the bench.

Pau's seniority gives him the edge over Bynum at this point, at least from PJ's POV. We'll just wait and see how well Bynum plays before assigning him to any position. We know how good Gasol is.

#5 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted October 07, 2008 - 01:56 PM

No way. We need him to start. :clap:

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#6 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:06 PM

No need to go all crazy. Tex simply said it was mentioned. Not "talked about", or "discussed", or "considered". They'll be mentioning and throwing around a lot of ideas during the preseason, and probably well into the season also.

#7 kobethetruemvp

kobethetruemvp

Rookie

• 129 posts
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:09 PM

he better play more than 15 min

#8 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:26 PM

I think you guys need to realize that if they did this, he'd be a super bench player like Manu, playing 28-32 minutes a game.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#9 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Pau's seniority gives him the edge over Bynum at this point, at least from PJ's POV. We'll just wait and see how well Bynum plays before assigning him to any position. We know how good Gasol is.

Starting Pau instead of Bynum would contradict what he said during the summer about us needing tougher players. If we started the exact same team as last year then where's the improved toughness?
Basketball Reasons...

#10 SILO

SILO

Hi, I'm a Mac 

• 620 posts
  • Fan Since:was born a laker
  • Fav. Laker:ME!

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:34 PM

Well depending upon the team we are facing we could start either Bynum or Pau. Just switch them out, its no big deal. If they cant find away to work together on the same time or at least start together just keep one on the bench. As for the toughness issue, its not like bynum is gone. hes on the bench. if pau is getting pushed around again, just put bynum in or if it will work, both of them. having one of them on the bench keeps us very deep and lethal especially to those whos front isnt very strong. one center whos fast and agile, and other whos strong, big and physical.

Edited by SILO, October 07, 2008 - 02:38 PM.

#11 PurpNGold

PurpNGold

Rookie

• 400 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:01 PM

this is probably another motivational tool the laker coaching staff is tryinga implement.

#12 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:03 PM

Starting Pau instead of Bynum would contradict what he said during the summer about us needing tougher players. If we started the exact same team as last year then where's the improved toughness?

well I would agree for him to start of the bench until he is 100%
and the toughness would be having him back.

Last year you looked at the bench, and you didn't hav Bynum, this year you do. That is a big difference.
Posted Image

#13 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 07, 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hope they fix the chemistry between each other....clumsy is...=.="

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted October 07, 2008 - 11:11 PM

so sit the productive one and keep the nomad in the starting line-up

i'm sure our team is better with a guy who simply has no home on the court and just wanders from one inconsistency to the next
Posted Image

#15 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted October 08, 2008 - 01:32 AM

Well I predicted that Bynum would start the season off the bench and ease his way into the starting lineup, and this article supports what I was thinking.

No need to freak out like, "omg we need toughness!!"... coming off the bench doesn't mean no playing time. If we need toughness, just bring him in. Big deal.

#16 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 08, 2008 - 02:14 AM

Toughness right at the start of the game? Or easing the way into it?

#17 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted October 08, 2008 - 02:56 AM

Well I predicted that Bynum would start the season off the bench and ease his way into the starting lineup, and this article supports what I was thinking.

No need to freak out like, "omg we need toughness!!"... coming off the bench doesn't mean no playing time. If we need toughness, just bring him in. Big deal.

Posted Image

#18 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 08, 2008 - 03:58 AM

Anyway, we need Bynum to play at least 30-35 minutes per game to make our team a stronger, better defensive team, the offense will never be a problem for us, it is guaranteed by Kobe and Gasol.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#19 Sky

Sky

Rookie

• 129 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 08, 2008 - 09:09 AM

Bynum on the bench is picking offense over defense for the billionth time. It's wrong, it's stupid and if it goes into the regular season imo it will be costly. Bynum masks the defensive deficiencies, enables funneling, limits dribble penetration. For it all to come together it has to get practice time and game time to get in sync. For freaking once value defense over the triangle Jackson. This is infuriating.

#20 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted October 08, 2008 - 09:17 AM

Bynum on the bench is picking offense over defense for the billionth time. It's wrong, it's stupid and if it goes into the regular season imo it will be costly. Bynum masks the defensive deficiencies, enables funneling, limits dribble penetration. For it all to come together it has to get practice time and game time to get in sync. For freaking once value defense over the triangle Jackson. This is infuriating.

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks Phil values his precious triangle more than defense haha

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users