Photo

Which is the better HDTV Brand: LG or Samsung?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 12:45 PM

I've been spending quite some time at Best Buy comparing T.V. brands. From my research and from my observations, I feel that LG and Samsung are the best that I can go with, and that LED is pretty good, but that I don't think I really need it, unless I get a killer deal. It's strange because sometimes I think I see a difference, and other times I feel that there is only a slight difference, or nothing at all. I also compared between 60 and 120 MHZ (60 MHZ would be much cheaper). Again, I couldn't see a huge difference, if anything at all. I'd like to get your opinions on which brand is generally recognized as better.

#2 Bracus

Bracus

Rookie

• 555 posts
  • Name:Rick
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:All of Em

Posted April 01, 2011 - 01:05 PM

I've been spending quite some time at Best Buy comparing T.V. brands. From my research and from my observations, I feel that LG and Samsung are the best that I can go with, and that LED is pretty good, but that I don't think I really need it, unless I get a killer deal. It's strange because sometimes I think I see a difference, and other times I feel that there is only a slight difference, or nothing at all. I also compared between 60 and 120 MHZ (60 MHZ would be much cheaper). Again, I couldn't see a huge difference, if anything at all. I'd like to get your opinions on which brand is generally recognized as better.

As a former Best Buy employee, I say Samsung Hands down!

BTW the 120hz (or even 240hz) is well worth it if you use bluray or ps3.
I heard Phil say ‘Don’t Shoot’ and I was like ‘Whatever’”!!!! - Ron

#3 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 01:15 PM

As a former Best Buy employee, I say Samsung Hands down!

BTW the 120hz (or even 240hz) is well worth it if you use bluray or ps3.

Thanks, bro. What do you think about LED vs LCD? Also, where would you recommend looking for the best prices? I'm kind of thinking Amazon/Ebay.

#4 Bracus

Bracus

Rookie

• 555 posts
  • Name:Rick
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:All of Em

Posted April 01, 2011 - 01:25 PM

LED is better but if your on a budget, just go with LCD. As for prices, find a model that you like then search everywhere. Amazon, Google shopping, Best Buy, Frys (if you have them out there). If you find it online, just go to Best Buy and ask for a price match. Sometimes they won't match online but if they're slow enough that day, they will.
I heard Phil say ‘Don’t Shoot’ and I was like ‘Whatever’”!!!! - Ron

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 01, 2011 - 02:11 PM

I would go with Samsung. And if you're doing gaming on the tv, you should prolly go for 60hz to eliminate or minimize lag. I'm going to get another nice tv as well but I'm not sure gaming would be ideal on it so I'm going to stick with my old fashioned Sanyo tv for my games...especially fighting games like tekken which require strict timing.

I can't speak on Samsung from a user perspective but everywhere I look...I always see good reviews on them.

Sony Bravia and Sharp AQUOS are brands that stick out to me (assuming you're flexible).

Pau Gasol is GONE

#6 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 01, 2011 - 02:58 PM

Samsung is more expensive, LG is cheaper

#7 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted April 01, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Sanyo

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 01, 2011 - 04:23 PM

Samsung is more expensive, LG is cheaper

I think they have similar prices

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,577 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted April 01, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I have a 32 inch 1080p LG LCD in my room that i use as one of my computer monitors, and for my direcTV hd/dvr box, and a PS3 and i love it

did a lot of research when i bought it, conclusion i came to was that ultimately, samsung will be a better TV (meaning some of the specs are better, for example, the comparable 32 inch 1080p samsung at the time i bought my LG had a contrast ratio of 70,000, whereas the LG had 50,000 (i think)) the thing is too, a lot of the specs are minute details, most people couldn't even tell you what a contrast ratio refers to, so it might not be worth the xtra dough if you don't have anything that uses 1080p. all this is speaking from about a year ago or something...i bought the LG because a random 24 hour sale(possibly mistake on amazon) made it about 200 cheaper than the 32inch samsung...i think originally it was only like a 70 dollar difference...

ultimately, IMO, samsung is the best...sony, LG, and maybe one or two other brands make up the top teir. LG = best for the money. typically cheaper than similar samsung TVs, with slightly lower specs

if its in the budget, the best pictures i've seen on TVs have been samsung LEDs...we had a 240hz 42inch samsung LED at my house for awhile, but the owner moved out...so its gone, but the picture was outrageous

Posted Image

#10 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted April 02, 2011 - 10:23 AM

honestly brand name doesn't matter as much as specs. Go at least 120hz or higher, get a good contrast ratio as well.

LED is cool cuz tv will be thinner, lighter, brighter n last longer but isn't necessary if on budget.

I have all no name tv's in my house that were much cheaper than name brand yet perform as well or better than most.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#11 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,577 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:10 PM

just as long as you keep in mind to not just buy any TV because its 120hz...do your research on a model before you buy it to find out of if they have a history of failure, or other problems, and how the warranties and customer service is...you'll be fine

i knew people that bought cheap LCDs, and they died inside of a year, but they were [expletive]ed because it was only a 3 month warranty or something...

Posted Image

• 40,395 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:21 PM

My personal tv is an LG and I absolutely love it. We have two other tvs that are Samsungs. They are awesome as well. Overall, I've done a lot of research and seen a lot of tvs over the years from different brands. Most people would tell you Samsung is the best and I have to agree, HOWEVER, that's not to say you can't find other tvs from other brands such as LG as you mention here, that has certain models that are comparable if not better. The thing I don't like about Samsung though is they're unfortunately quite notorious for their tvs breaking down pretty quickly, at least quicker than they should. You could read up about that almost everywhere. It's out there. So because of that, I deem it a little risky and that's why I went with an LG for myself, at least one of the reasons. This is my baby:

http://www.amazon.co...01800163&sr=8-1

Effin' fantastic. Great ratings/reviews as you see. Great specs, great features. I am more than happy.

yo.

#13 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted April 02, 2011 - 08:55 PM

just as long as you keep in mind to not just buy any TV because its 120hz...do your research on a model before you buy it to find out of if they have a history of failure, or other problems, and how the warranties and customer service is...you'll be fine

i knew people that bought cheap LCDs, and they died inside of a year, but they were [expletive]ed because it was only a 3 month warranty or something...

research is key, but brand name isn't my "cheap" tv has lasted 3 years n newest is perfect with no issues

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#14 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,577 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 11:47 PM

don't disagree, i have an off brand 23 inch LCD that i use as a monitor that has lasted over 3 years

Posted Image

#15 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted April 03, 2011 - 12:01 AM

Hands down samsung.

Posted Image

#16 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 09:09 AM

Thanks guys...Some really great information here. As I said before, I think Samsung looked a little bit better in the store, but need to do much more observation before I make a purchase. LG just has unbelievably great reviews, and so that's why I'm seriously considering them, but Samsung is recognized as the best in the business, although I'll have to keep the possible short shelf life in mind. The 32 and 42 inch LG LCD's that you guys have really look amazing, and have all gotten really great reviews. I'll just have to make sure I get a great deal, and that I learn about how to calibrate my T.V. on my own when I get it.

Edited by leor_77, April 03, 2011 - 09:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users