• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:29 AM

DALLAS & BONN, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T - News) and Deutsche Telekom AG (FWB:DTE.f - News) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which AT&T will acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom in a cash-and-stock transaction currently valued at approximately $39 billion. The agreement has been approved by the Boards of Directors of both companies.

AT&T’s acquisition of T-Mobile USA provides an optimal combination of network assets to add capacity sooner than any alternative, and it provides an opportunity to improve network quality in the near term for both companies’ customers. In addition, it provides a fast, efficient and certain solution to the impending exhaustion of wireless spectrum in some markets, which limits both companies’ ability to meet the ongoing explosive demand for mobile broadband.

With this transaction, AT&T commits to a significant expansion of robust 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) deployment to 95 percent of the U.S. population to reach an additional 46.5 million Americans beyond current plans – including rural communities and small towns. This helps achieve the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and President Obama’s goals to connect “every part of America to the digital age.” T-Mobile USA does not have a clear path to delivering LTE.

http://www.businessinsider.com/att-buys-t-mobile-2011-3#ixzz1HAXWqiny

iPhones for everyone!!! :laughing:

#2 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,013 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:33 AM

I haven't read the whole article, but will T-Mobile keep its name or will their customers start receiving their bills from AT&T?

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:40 AM

I haven't read the whole article, but will T-Mobile keep its name or will their customers start receiving their bills from AT&T?

It doesn't specifically state what will happen to T-Mobile, but many people believe that Tmobile will become part of AT&T and lose the name.

It was just announced so I expect more details to come out in the following months. But being a tmobile customer, I am interested to see what this deal means.

#4 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,022 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:46 AM

AT&T just announced that they're buying T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion. The deal makes AT&T the largest network in the country by far (adding 33 million T-Mobile subscribers to AT&T's 95 million, comparatively Verizon has 94 million), leaves only three major US carriers and, well, technically gives T-Mobile users a real 4G strategy in LTE. No specific details on how AT&T will juggle the transition and what it means for T-Mobile customers yet.

from Gizmodo

Wow, now its just AT&T and Verizon

#5 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,084 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Sounds like T-Mobile will lose its name, that would make sense. Our phone and internet is AT&T and our cell phones are T-Mobile, so this will be interesting :hmm:

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:50 AM

Works out good for me if TMobile customers have the opportunity to buy an iPhone. My current contract expires in a few months so hopefully by the time it does, the iPhone will be available.

#7 JRG_24

JRG_24

Starter

• 5,259 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:14 PM

AT&T bought Cingular, now T-Mobile. Who's next? Lol...

#8 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,217 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:35 PM

This is to just expand AT&T 4g network since they have none and T-Mobile does.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:40 PM

Cingular actually bought AT&T

#10 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:53 PM

Some more analysis on the deal:

At the end of 2010, AT&T had 95.5 million wireless subscribers and T-Mobile had 33.7 million subscribers, for a combined total of 129.2 million subscribers. Verizon Wireless had 94.1 million wireless customers.

There had been reports that Sprint, the no. 3 biggest carrier, was looking at buying T-Mobile. But AT&T has obviously made a better offer, and now Sprint may have to get absorbed by Verizon, Comcast, or someone else.

The benefits to T-Mobile customers will be faster access to LTE wireless -- true 4G -- and potentially faster access to Apple's iPhone.

Combining AT&T and T-Mobile makes more sense technically, too, as the companies share a common wireless technology, while T-Mobile and Sprint use different technologies.

This is a huge deal that, if allowed, could have wide-ranging effects on the wireless industry. It's AT&T's first major deal since 2006, when it acquired BellSouth, its partner in Cingular Wireless, which was then renamed AT&T Mobility.

http://www.businessinsider.com/att-buying-t-mobile-usa-in-39-billion-deal-2011-3#ixzz1HAsln1Fp

#11 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like T-Mobile will lose its name, that would make sense. Our phone and internet is AT&T and our cell phones are T-Mobile, so this will be interesting :hmm:

Jen, your smart phone can already connect to an AT&T signal. My guess is that the T-Mobile 3G/4G towers will become AT&T towers with T-Mobile signal. So you shouldn't be affected, you should have better signals if anything since you can connect to both "T-mobile and AT&T towers" without getting "roaming" charges.

My questions are, do the phone plans change? Are we going to still be paying off the T-Mobile plans?
When can we start using the AT&T signals without getting charged extra?
Are we going to be limited to the amount of internet usage we have on out phones? When agreeing to the contract, we did agree on UNLIMITED web and data use.
Are we going to get the Unlimited Mobile to ANY mobile that a lot of the AT&T users have now?

Sad thing is, the phone industry is slowly becoming a monopoly...well not really. But it's going to be scary when companies start absorbing each other to compete with each other. It's good with several different companies with different deals to hook you. But now, the only thing that will attract customers are the new phones, not really the prices of the phone bills, or plans.

Edited by Base, March 20, 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#12 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:34 PM

Sad thing is, the phone industry is slowly becoming a monopoly...well not really. But it's going to be scary when companies start absorbing each other to compete with each other. It's good with several different companies with different deals to hook you. But now, the only thing that will attract customers are the new phones, not really the prices of the phone bills, or plans.

Governments have laws against monopolies, and if in the US they don't, they'll probably make them

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#13 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,084 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:50 PM

Jen, your smart phone can already connect to an AT&T signal.

I don't have a smart phone actually (just not how I roll, keeping it simple instead). But of course it has 3G network.

#14 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted March 20, 2011 - 02:30 PM

yes!!! that means all my friends on t-mobile will be free to call :D

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#15 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted March 20, 2011 - 02:42 PM

LOL,Tmobile customers went from some of the cheapest plans to some of the most expensive with caps on high priced data.

from Gizmodo

Wow, now its just AT&T and Verizon

And Sprint

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#16 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,707 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:01 PM

This is bad news for US customers, you know what less competition means...
Posted Image

• 40,548 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:12 PM

^ It's definitely not so comforting to think about.

yo.

#18 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:16 PM

am i the only one stoked about this? :omg:

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#19 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:30 PM

So AT&T is just buying everybody now? I thought other companies were created back in the day so AT&T could have competition.

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#20 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:33 PM

This is bad news for US customers, you know what less competition means...

Exactly

Looks like no iphone for tmobile for at least a year.

"T-Mobile USA remains an independent company. The acquisition is expected to be completed in approximately 12 months. We do not offer the iPhone. We offer cutting edge devices like the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and coming soon our new Sidekick 4G."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/t-mobile-answers-its-customers-most-frequently-asked-question/

Edited by Draztik Rhymez, March 20, 2011 - 03:39 PM.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users