AT&T Will Cap Internet Use, Charge Overage Fees Starting In May

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 04:03 PM

Heavy AT&T internet users will have to keep an eye on the amount of data they've downloaded, because come May they'll be subject to overages after a preset amount of gigabytes gobbled.

DSL Reports overage charges will run $10 per 50 GB over the limit. The caps will be 150 GB for landline DSL users and 250 GB for U-Verse customers. Before users get stung with overage fees, they'll get two cap-exceeding months without having to pay.

AT&T, which will send out notices to customers of the changes starting March 18, tells Engadget:

We are committed to providing a great experience for all of our Internet customers. Less than 2 percent of our Internet customers could be impacted by this approach - those who are using a disproportionate amount of bandwidth. We will communicate early and often with these customers so they are well aware of their options before they incur any additional usage charges.
The top 2 percent of residential subscribers uses about 20 percent of the bandwidth on our network. Just one of these high-traffic users can utilize the same amount of data capacity as 19 typical households. Lopsided usage patterns can cause congestion at certain points in the network, which can slow Internet speeds and interfere with other customers' access to and use of the network. Our new plan addresses another concern: customers strongly believe that only those who use the most bandwidth should pay more than those who don't use as much. That's exactly what this does - and again, 98% of our customers will not be impacted by this.

http://consumerist.com/2011/03/att-will-cap-internet-use-charge-overage-fees-starting-in-may.html

Good thing I almost never stream movies now and all..

#2 Chinesetakeout

Chinesetakeout

Off The Bench

• 1,518 posts
  • Name:Wayne
  • Fan Since:'98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 18, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Verizon FiOS

Posted Image

Edited by Chinesetakeout, March 18, 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#3 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 904 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted March 18, 2011 - 06:52 PM

This seem to be the direction that all providers are going now days. Remember the 90's? Yup taking a step back. But 250 gbs is a lot of data. But still :nah:

#4 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,923 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 18, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Cable is going away. So, the phone/internet/cable companies are looking for ways to jack up rates on internet users so you can't just save money by cutting cable and doing more online.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#5 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,980 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted March 18, 2011 - 07:25 PM

I got iPhone so I already pay overages every month...
Posted Image

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#6 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,188 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:16 PM

This seem to be the direction that all providers are going now days. Remember the 90's? Yup taking a step back. But 250 gbs is a lot of data. But still :nah:

Except Sprint, still unlimited data

Verizon FiOS

Posted Image

This is not for a mobile phone though, this is high speed internet for a home. I get 20Mpbs up on comcast at home, VZW doesn't offer their fiber optic in my area. I have some friends that get 50Mbps from comcast here, but they pay crack prices lol

Edited by Draztik Rhymez, March 18, 2011 - 08:18 PM.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#7 Chinesetakeout

Chinesetakeout

Off The Bench

• 1,518 posts
  • Name:Wayne
  • Fan Since:'98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Please read the article....

Edited by Chinesetakeout, March 20, 2011 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users