Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2011 - 02:31 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6205936

The NFL Players Association, presented with a proposal from the league's owners group in a federal mediation session late Friday afternoon as a 5 p.m. decertification deadline approached, has rejected the offer as "significant differences continue to remain," union chief DeMaurice Smith said.

Decertification, which effectively disbands the NFLPA, would give the union the chance to sue under antitrust laws if there is a lockout. Without decertification, the union would have to wait six months to file a suit after the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement.

Meanwhile, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees rejoined the talks Friday, also reiterating the union's desire for the NFL owners to open their books.

Brees was among a group of about 20 people, including Smith, who walked over from the union's nearby headquarters. Brees and Smith were flanked by several other current or former players.

"To our fans -- I give you my word that we as players are doing everything we can to negotiate with the NFL towards a fair deal," Brees tweeted before the start of Friday's meetings. "The NFL brought this fight to us -- they want $1 billion back, we just want financial information to back up that request."

They need to figure this out because I'm going to go crazy without football.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#2 Simba

Simba

Too Clutch

• 4,255 posts
  • Name:Jeet
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Westbrook

Posted March 11, 2011 - 02:36 PM

I'm not worried. It's going to go to court, and the court is going to rule in favor of the players. Same thing happened in baseball a few years back. The owners are just prolonging the whole situation.

Edited by Confidence, March 11, 2011 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 02:37 PM

I hope you're right.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 Simba

Simba

Too Clutch

• 4,255 posts
  • Name:Jeet
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Westbrook

Posted March 11, 2011 - 02:42 PM

There's just too much money on the line for the NFL to go on lockout. The economy wont be able to take a huge hit like that, and the court knows that and will judge accordingly.

Edited by Confidence, March 11, 2011 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

#5 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts
  • Name:El Diablo
  • Fan Since:Birth aka 1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2011 - 02:51 PM

:unsure:

Posted Image

#6 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,398 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 11, 2011 - 04:42 PM

this is gonna continue for sometime now. oh well. [expletive] next season I guess. I hope BBall dont lock out to.

#7 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted March 11, 2011 - 07:49 PM

nothin will happen, preassure is just adding up on the owners, next season 2 of the 4 major american Pro sports will have lock out threats. Too much money to be lost in those 2 sports, and a lot of people, big people, can lose money with those 2 sports, owners will have to conceed cause players won't be the only ones preassuring them.
I give more chances of succes to the NFL players than the NBA's, Stern's a hard mofo

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 07:53 PM

I'm expecting something to be done because the NFL is big business.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,649 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 11, 2011 - 11:50 PM

They'll get this done. I remember when hockey had a lockout season, good thing I was never a fan of the NHL. They'll find every rule in the book to extend this as long as possible, then when every owner has taken a nice long break to make a decision, someone will pay up.

I do, however, expect much much more advertising done in the following seasons. The NFL will find every way possible to make all that money that they'll probably lose with the new contract. I expect seat prices to sky rocket.

It would be smart if some part of this agreement was centered around building a team in LA. Everyone knows how much revenue that would build up, and the owners wouldn't have to bargain too much more. :hmm:

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 07:48 AM

the latest...

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6205936

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic