MIB III

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 31, 2012 - 04:39 PM

MIB didn't flop but it failed. It's budget exceeded 200 million and didn't even hit 60 million on a 3 day weekend. By comparison even hunger games hit 150 million in its opening weekend

That's a failure

And your whole reasoning of why MIB 3 was good was its unpredictability. Saying avengers was bad because it's predictable. I gave you a massive list of real classic movies that were predictable and yet still great

I meant predictable in the way it used every new modern effect, had as small dialog as possible. And tried to pack as much action suspense scenes into its time frame as possible. I knew that going in the movie would most likely be that type of teenage movie and to my surprise it was.
Its not a big deal bro.
Do you get royalties for the movie or something. You got stock your not telling us about...lol

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#62 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:44 PM

No. My issue is your acting like MIB 3 is high art and avengers is low brow which is ridiculous
Posted Image

#63 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts
  • Name:El Diablo
  • Fan Since:Birth aka 1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Look at a movie like the Dark Knight or the Watchmen those were serious comic book movies with good storylines why does the Avengers have to have terrible story when there's movies that show a comic book movie can be better.

Movie's are more than entertainment to me their art just like music when we criticize some of these new bad rappers and wonder how ppl can love their music and settle for less, thats how I feel with movies I'm not getting really enjoy a movie that I know has a crappy story.

C'mon man there is room in the world for fun movies and ones made with extreme craft. I don't like awfully made movies but The Avengers delivered on everything it promised which was seeing those characters fight each other and fight side by side and it also happened to be funny and an all around good time. I don't need every comic book movie to be dead serious and some comics are darker and are put on screen that way but seeing as how The Avengers' comics aren't extremely dark and depressing then you wouldn't make a film like that. There is a difference between a movie like The Avengers and mindless movies like Transformers because the fun and action is still well crafted without being completely nonsensical, loud, and annoying.

Edit: I'm also a really big film geek in case some people think I'm some generic air headed film goer who doesn't have respect for the art.

Edited by El Diablo, May 31, 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Posted Image

#64 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:06 PM

C'mon man there is room in the world for fun movies and ones made with extreme craft. I don't like awfully made movies but The Avengers delivered on everything it promised which was seeing those characters fight each other and fight side by side and it also happened to be funny and an all around good time. I don't need every comic book movie to be dead serious and some comics are darker and are put on screen that way but seeing as how The Avengers' comics aren't extremely dark and depressing then you wouldn't make a film like that. There is a difference between a movie like The Avengers and mindless movies like Transformers because the fun and action is still well crafted without being completely nonsensical, loud, and annoying.

See thats your opinion about the movie being well crafted and not mindless like a movie like transformers, they could have made the Avengers so much better even without it being dark or being an artistic masterpiece I like plenty of movies that arent but this movie was bad to me. It just wasn't good to me I walked out of the theater completely unsatisfied idk why ppl are having hard time accepting this, perception is reality what I perceived on the screen was an overall bad movie that I didn not feel you guys perceive some fun experience that I didn't.

#65 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:12 PM

See thats your opinion about the movie being well crafted and not mindless like a movie like transformers, they could have made the Avengers so much better even without it being dark or being an artistic masterpiece I like plenty of movies that arent but this movie was bad to me. It just wasn't good to me I walked out of the theater completely unsatisfied idk why ppl are having hard time accepting this, perception is reality what I perceived on the screen was an overall bad movie that I didn not feel you guys perceive some fun experience that I didn't.

Well I don't know I had a lot of fun watching the movie in theaters and for movie of its kind that's all I ask for and it delivered in that respect for me but I could see why some people wouldn't warm up to it. Also I'm a Marvel stan so you hurt my feelings with that all Marvel movies suck comment, I mean most of them do but still :cry:

Posted Image

#66 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Well I don't know I had a lot of fun watching the movie in theaters and for movie of its kind that's all I ask for and it delivered in that respect for me but I could see why some people wouldn't warm up to it. Also I'm a Marvel stan so you hurt my feelings with that all Marvel movies suck comment, I mean most of them do but still :cry:

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but idk when I watched the movie I really just didn't see or feel what the hype was about.

It's kind of funny you compared it to Transformers in your previous post because I had this exact same discussion with one of my best friends like two years ago who loved the first 2 transformers movies for some reason he was trying to convince that they were good movies and trying to bring points like the character development of the transformers when I just did not see or feel the same as he did at all.

#67 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:32 PM

It's all good man I'll work through my feelings.

Posted Image

#68 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:38 PM

people are too critical of movies. I mean, it's a [expletive]ing movie on comic book characters.

Sometimes I wanna see a good drama movie
Sometimes I wanna see a horror movie
Sometimes I wanna see an animated movie
Sometimes I wanna see an adventure movie
Sometimes I wanna see an action movie

Doesn't matter the genre for the most part so long as its something that interests me personally. I watch everything from The Passion of Christ, to True Lies, to Twister, to The Exorcist, to The Little Mermaid, to Homeward Bound and Far From Home, to Spiderman and The Avengers. If it has actors like Anthony Hopkins, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Tom Hanks, and etc...then I'm interested. If the [expletive]ing preview looks good...I'm willing to give it a chance.

I don't expect to watch a marvel movie with deep dialogues between Thor and Captain America or an intense emotional scene between Wolverine and Jean Grey. I wanna see Wolverine ripping someone's throat out; Hugh Jackman won't win a [expletive]ing academy award for it but who gives a [expletive]???

What kind of story lines are you people looking for??? The stories are already pre-determined and it's up to the producers and directors to follow them as closely as possible.

Watching Hulk throttle Loki is pure entertainment. My wife doesn't know who Hulk and Loki are and she laughed her ass off during that scene.

If you can't enjoy a movie for what it is, then stick to documentaries or watch oprah.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#69 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:46 PM

people are too critical of movies. I mean, it's a [expletive]ing movie on comic book characters.

Sometimes I wanna see a good drama movie
Sometimes I wanna see a horror movie
Sometimes I wanna see an animated movie
Sometimes I wanna see an adventure movie
Sometimes I wanna see an action movie

Doesn't matter the genre for the most part so long as its something that interests me personally. I watch everything from The Passion of Christ, to True Lies, to Twister, to The Exorcist, to The Little Mermaid, to Homeward Bound and Far From Home, to Spiderman and The Avengers. If it has actors like Anthony Hopkins, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Tom Hanks, and etc...then I'm interested. If the [expletive]ing preview looks good...I'm willing to give it a chance.

I don't expect to watch a marvel movie with deep dialogues between Thor and Captain America or an intense emotional scene between Wolverine and Jean Grey. I wanna see Wolverine ripping someone's throat out; Hugh Jackman won't win a [expletive]ing academy award for it but who gives a [expletive]???

What kind of story lines are you people looking for??? The stories are already pre-determined and it's up to the producers and directors to follow them as closely as possible.

Watching Hulk throttle Loki is pure entertainment. My wife doesn't know who Hulk and Loki are and she laughed her ass off during that scene.

If you can't enjoy a movie for what it is, then stick to documentaries or watch oprah.

You can say ppl are too critical of music and I should accept everything even if it doesn't sound good to me too I mean [expletive] it's music.

At the end of the day I walked out of the movie theater very unsatisfied it not because every movie I watch has to be an artistic masterpiece I'll watch any movie genre besides horror I think horror movies are pure trash, but anyway it doesn't have to be an artistic masterpiece but there has to be some basic elements there that I can hold on too and I didn't have that with this movie.

#70 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:51 PM

You can say ppl are too critical of music and I should accept everything even if it doesn't sound good to me too I mean [expletive] it's music.

At the end of the day I walked out of the movie theater very unsatisfied it not because every movie I watch has to be an artistic masterpiece I'll watch any movie genre besides horror I think horror movies are pure trash, but anyway it doesn't have to be an artistic masterpiece but there has to be some basic elements there that I can hold on too and I didn't have that with this movie.

I assume you're referring to Weezy and Young Money?

I don't see the comparison at all. Completely different arenas.

See, now why don't you like horror movies? Only people I've heard say that are women.

What are you looking to..."hold onto"???

Pau Gasol is GONE

#71 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:56 PM

I assume you're referring to Weezy and Young Money?

I don't see the comparison at all. Completely different arenas.

See, now why don't you like horror movies? Only people I've heard say that are women.

What are you looking to..."hold onto"???

I'm not referring to Young Money I'm referring to your statement which basically implies that we shouldn't be critical of movies, I feel like music is a similar art form so why is it ok to be really critical of music and not movies I mean [expletive] a song is way shorter than a movie might as well just have fun and listen to a quick 3 minute thrill.

And I don't like horror movies because their not scary to me and thats the main point of the genre

Edited by NYCLakerfan, May 31, 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#72 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'll admit most horror movie are bad (most movies in general are) but when done right they can be fantastic. I even have an appreciation for terrible horror films of the 70s and 80s just because of my great affinity of practical effects which is truly a lost art in the today's world of CGI. Even when they're bad I like to watch the cheesiness and indulge myself with good gore effects.

Posted Image

#73 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm not referring to Young Money I'm referring to your statement which basically implies that we shouldn't be critical of movies, I feel like music is a similar art form so why is it ok to be really critical of music and not movies I mean [expletive] a song way shorter than a movie might as well just have fun and listen to a quick 3 minute thrill.

And I don't like horror movies because their not scary to me and thats the main point of the genre

I'm simply saying to understand what you're going to see before you pay to see it. You're heading into a Marvel comic book movie...what are you REALLY expecting to get out of it?

Even the best music has its critics here and there. Same thing for good movies. Like I said: You can't please everybody

Pau Gasol is GONE

#74 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'm simply saying to understand what you're going to see before you pay to see it. You're heading into a Marvel comic book movie...what are you REALLY expecting to get out of it?

Even the best music has its critics here and there. Same thing for good movies. Like I said: You can't please everybody

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna like it but I went into it with an open mind trying to broaden my horizons I mean it's not like I want to dislike a movie I wish I thought every movie was amazing I like being entertained.

#75 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted June 03, 2012 - 05:50 PM

I just saw this pretty good movie i liked it pretty good ending too i was expecting something at the end but not that haha
Posted Image

#76 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 12:02 AM

Watched it the other day, I liked it, good movie.

The North Remembers

#77 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Windu, it's a great point. A lot of time people are too critical about movies that should just be ridiculous popcorn flicks.

However, the other side of the coin to it is that if you constantly consume crap, all you're ever gonna get back is crap. As an art form I would hope that even "popcorn movies" can evolve to a bit of an higher level instead of pandering to the lowest level of intelligence. And honestly, they can.

It's a tough call, but I do agree with you that sometimes you go to the movies to just let go and have a good time. If you go to movies like a "Men In Black 3" looking for some incredible level of film, you're bound to be disappointed for the most part.

I'm just torn because I do love the crappiest of crap movies sometimes, but then other times it bums me out that most people don't want (or sometimes refuse to) raise their standards and demand a better level of film from an industry that is getting more and more creatively bankrupt by the day.

Pretty split on this, you bring up a great point though.

#78 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Yeh, I don't expect every movie I see to invoke deep thought.

You go to the movies to chill...to relax and have a good time. If I want to stay in deep thought all the time, I'd sit at home and stress over my bills.

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users