203 replies to this topic

#141 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 15, 2011 - 12:43 AM

Damn, Florida looks like a pretty nice place to live, plus no taxes, shiiit!

yeah, but then you stop and think about another "nature friend" Mr Hurricane...

It's admirable that there hasn't been a nuclear fusion yet. I really really hope those 50 men working at the plant risking their lives contain the situation.

Flat land, open sea on both sides...

It's admirable that there hasn't been a nuclear fusion yet. I really really hope those 50 men working at the plant risking their lives contain the situation.
Posted Image

#142 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,813 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted March 15, 2011 - 12:43 AM

There is that little thing called huricanes...

You know...
Every inch of florida has had the Eye of a huricane pass over it...

#143 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted March 15, 2011 - 06:59 AM

this is sad. Glad nothing serious has happened in the philippines, but i still feel bad for the people in japan. Living in the area of pacific ring of fire really sucks.. i guess a massive magma activity is happening underneath. Just hope there isn't an imminent huge volcanic eruption underground because quakes from different areas indicate with what i said earlier that there's a huge magma activity going on..
Glad i took a crash course in geology.

#144 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 15, 2011 - 10:34 AM

this is sad. Glad nothing serious has happened in the philippines, but i still feel bad for the people in japan. Living in the area of pacific ring of fire really sucks.. i guess a massive magma activity is happening underneath. Just hope there isn't an imminent huge volcanic eruption underground because quakes from different areas indicate with what i said earlier that there's a huge magma activity going on..
Glad i took a crash course in geology.

there was 2 Volcanos that erupted about 1 hour after the Japan quake.
Some say the Japan volcano erupted while the wave hit.
And both are located on the same siesmic fault grids.

1 in SW Japan

and the Russian Kamchatka Volcano

And 48 hours after the Japan Quake a 3rd Volcano in Indonesia erupted. Again on the same fault line in the Pacific Ring of Fire.
And scientists now say Mount Vesuvius is showing signs of seismic life again. If Mount Vesuvius blows big that could be global life changing. Who knows. And we all know that Hawaii's Volcano has been going nuts for weeks now.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#145 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,813 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 12:01 PM

but then you stop and think about another "nature friend" Mr Hurricane...
Flat land, open sea on both sides...

A 30 foot tsunami might flow from the East Coast of Florida, right over the WHOLE state, and out into the gulf.

Meanwhile,
I think the Federal Government is underscoring the dangers of nuclear fallout on the West Coast.

You know the US is completely incompetent.
We drove our Air Force Carrier into a RADIOACTIVE PLUME OF SMOKE!
People should be fired/court marshelled.
This is RAGING incompetence.

If the commander is that stupid, he should have never been leading, and, if the person responsible is NOT that stupid, they should be tried for sabotage, or directly putting out US service men at risk for nothing.

I mean, a kindergardener knows you do not want to be down wind of someone who has passed gas...
And, US Navy Commanders are too stupid to not go down wind, from radioactive airborne waste.

Does anyone have any confidence in any arm of the Government?
Any Government? Not just ours?
You cannot trust our Government, you cannot trust the Japanese Government, you cannot trust the international orginizations.

#146 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,022 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 15, 2011 - 04:22 PM

Radiation from Japan shouldn't reach Hawaii or the US. Heard it on the news

#147 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,072 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Workers evacuated from damaged nuclear power plant

Tokyo (CNN) -- A fire was discovered Wednesday in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the latest in a series of setbacks at the stricken plant that has heightened fears that the incidents could lead to widespread radiation contamination.

The fire followed a hydrogen explosion Tuesday at the plant's No. 2 reactor. Hydrogen explosions had previously occurred in the plant's No. 1 and No. 3 reactors.

Another fire had broken out Tuesday in the No. 4 reactor. While it burned, radiation levels at the plant increased to about 167 times the average dose, the International Atomic Energy Agency said.

That dose quickly diminished with distance from the plant, and radiation fell back to levels where it posed no immediate public health threat, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said.

But the deteriorating situation and concerns about a potential shift in wind direction that could send radiation toward populated areas prompted authorities to warn people as far as 18.6 miles (30 kilometers) from the plant to stay inside.

"There is still a very high risk of further radioactive material coming out," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said, asking people to remain calm.

#148 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Damn...this is not good.

#149 GinzyVee

GinzyVee

Clutch

• 1,969 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted March 15, 2011 - 09:08 PM

Sorry, in the wake of this natural disaster, my emotions are high, and it was just a few folks who brought it up (not just here, but family, friends, facebook, other forums, etc), but this prayer crap is just offensive and it really pisses me off. What's worse than doing nothing is doing nothing and actually think you're helping. Japan just went through a major disaster, and other countries (our own included) could be victims of its aftereffects. If people really want to help, donate to the Red Cross and other disaster relief groups (preferably ones that don't have other agendas). THAT is actually going to make a difference. Don't have money to spare? These relief groups usually need volunteers especially after a disaster. Donate clothing. Donate blood. DO something. And if you are unable to do anything, then that's okay too. But don't think you're doing something by talking to your god(s) of choice when in reality it has absolutely no effect.

Don't respond to this post. Go and actually do something to help.

/rant

I was hoping to get stationed in Japan eventually. I wish I were there now, so I'd be able to help in any way I could. I have friends who live there and know people stationed over there, and happy to hear that none of them were affected by the quake. We have a Navy base over there so I hope our guys are able to provide support.

Here's a link to the Red Cross:

American Red Cross

Be wary to who you donate to. During disasters, sometimes sick bastards start up fake relief groups.

Who gives you the right to speak like that, just because you dont believe in it doesnt mean it doesnt work.

#150 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,813 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 10:20 PM

Damn...this is not good.

That might be a small understatement...
To hear they everyone has left the area, abandoned..
Cannot go back...

Just terrible.
Just a terrible situation.

What can we say?
What can we do?

#151 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 10:28 PM

there was 2 Volcanos that erupted about 1 hour after the Japan quake.
Some say the Japan volcano erupted while the wave hit.
And both are located on the same siesmic fault grids.

1 in SW Japan

and the Russian Kamchatka Volcano

And 48 hours after the Japan Quake a 3rd Volcano in Indonesia erupted. Again on the same fault line in the Pacific Ring of Fire.
And scientists now say Mount Vesuvius is showing signs of seismic life again. If Mount Vesuvius blows big that could be global life changing. Who knows. And we all know that Hawaii's Volcano has been going nuts for weeks now.

Bingo! Because subduction tho may cause earthquakes isn't capable of creating a cluster of quakes in a span of 3 days. It's one of the few traits/signs of a volcanic activity that's gonna happen. Thanks for confirming this.

#152 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 10:28 PM

so the creator of Pokemon apparently died in the Tsunami :(

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#153 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted March 16, 2011 - 07:46 AM

2 questions:
What did Gilbert Gottfried say about the Japan crisis that got him fired as the Aflac voice? It was described as insensitive and wrong.
Just curious. But screw him anyways. He annoys the [expletive] outta me.

And on the news I saw eveyone in Cali is buying up Iodine pills. Crazy.

Today Obama said....
"AT THIS MOMENT there is CURRENTLY no threat of a radiation crisis on the West Coast RIGHT NOW"

???.......?
Theres a lot of questions in that statement. Hes trying to calm people so theres no panic. And if something does happen he can later say at the time I said that there wasnt a threat. Great leadership there.

I wouldnt over react but just to be safe I told my buddy who lives in NorCal today to do the following....
1. Buy a box of Ammo for his hand gun if he doesnt have any. $12
2. Buy some of those Pills. He replied that all the stores were sold out there. So I got a box and I'm over nighting them today. $40 (with postage)
3. Fill your gas tank up in case you gotta get outta dodge fast. $60
4. Buy some breathing masks at Home Depot. $5

So if nothing happens your stuck with some pills and you wasted $40. Ammo's always good to have. Gas your gonna use eventually. And he paints houses so the masks he could use later.

But if it does happen he increases his chance of survival and against radiation sickness by 100%.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#154 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted March 16, 2011 - 07:50 AM

I think they will end up controlling the situation, if there is someone with the mindset for these kinds of things, it's the japanese.
Posted Image

#155 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 16, 2011 - 08:13 AM

Earthquakes > Hurricanes

Pau Gasol is GONE

#156 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted March 16, 2011 - 08:39 AM

2 questions:
What did Gilbert Gottfried say about the Japan crisis that got him fired as the Aflac voice? It was described as insensitive and wrong.
Just curious. But screw him anyways. He annoys the [expletive] outta me.

And on the news I saw eveyone in Cali is buying up Iodine pills. Crazy.

Today Obama said....
"AT THIS MOMENT there is CURRENTLY no threat of a radiation crisis on the West Coast RIGHT NOW"

???.......?
Theres a lot of questions in that statement. Hes trying to calm people so theres no panic. And if something does happen he can later say at the time I said that there wasnt a threat. Great leadership there.

I wouldnt over react but just to be safe I told my buddy who lives in NorCal today to do the following....
1. Buy a box of Ammo for his hand gun if he doesnt have any. $12
2. Buy some of those Pills. He replied that all the stores were sold out there. So I got a box and I'm over nighting them today. $40 (with postage)
3. Fill your gas tank up in case you gotta get outta dodge fast. $60
4. Buy some breathing masks at Home Depot. $5

So if nothing happens your stuck with some pills and you wasted $40. Ammo's always good to have. Gas your gonna use eventually. And he paints houses so the masks he could use later.

But if it does happen he increases his chance of survival and against radiation sickness by 100%.

Isnt that a little overboard? The particles are too small to have an effect on people. And if u really want to when the radiation has come over, is when schools begin to shut down. Thats the first sign of radiation coming over here.

Posted Image

#157 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:15 AM

Isnt that a little overboard? The particles are too small to have an effect on people. And if u really want to when the radiation has come over, is when schools begin to shut down. Thats the first sign of radiation coming over here.

$40 isnt overboard bro......not for me atleast. Its just a precaution incase the politicians are bull [expletive]ting us......since they never do that right :rolleyes: I spend $40 at a Quiznos or something....lol
And its not a question of WILL the radiation travel west. The earths natural wind currents and ocean current will take care of that. The real question is how toxic the radaition will be. Nobody knows. But from the toxicology reports based on Chernobyl it cant be good. The 5200 miles of Ocean is not a buffer. Its not a filter. Millions of dust particles travel to the Western USA/Canada every day from China, Korea, Japan, etc. Radiation with enough isotope to make someone sick can attach itself to dust particles because radiation has no mass.
Like Obama said......."at this moment its not a threat"......DUH! thats because the core reactors are only damaged and havent fully meltdown and caused a Chernoybl magnitude level explosion yet. So at this moment only low level radiation has been released. But unless they can figure out how to completely submerge the core into the cool ocean (Like Spiderman 2) it will blow. I'm not a expert bro. But my prior work in the energy field and working with actual nuclear experts gives me some insight.

Japan's nuclear accident 'out of control'
Published: 16/03/2011 at 11:20 PM
Online news:

The situation at Japan's disaster-hit nuclear power plant has spun out of control, threatening a deeper catastrophe that could cost more lives, the European Union's energy chief said Wednesday.

``The site is effectively out of control,'' energy commissioner Guenther Oettinger told a European Parliament committee, one day after he said Japan was facing ``apocalypse.''

``In the coming hours there could be further catastrophic events which could pose a threat to the lives of people on the island,'' he said.

Scrambling to prevent a nuclear meltdown, Japanese crews have been dumping water on the stricken Fukushima No.1 power plant, which has been hit by a series of explosions after Friday's quake knocked out reactor cooling systems.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/227046/japan-nuclear-accident-out-of-control

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#158 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:59 AM

Obama isn't going to declare a state of emergency for California if there isn't one. He can't. It would also be a bad idea, causing panic. There would be enough time for people to plan for that once the meltdown happens. Given the circumstances, people are already reacting, and he knows that...but there's no reason to come out and declare it yet.

#159 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Obama isn't going to declare a state of emergency for California if there isn't one. He can't. It would also be a bad idea, causing panic. There would be enough time for people to plan for that once the meltdown happens. Given the circumstances, people are already reacting, and he knows that...but there's no reason to come out and declare it yet.

Yea. I agree that he cant and he shouldnt.
But he should be more open in covering the options people have if things progress to a meltdown.
The genreal public doesnt understand any thing about a Nuclear Meltdown or the radioactivity it could release into the atmosphere or the west winds.
They look to their leaders for what they should do. Obama should convey the message not to panic because its a long shot that everything that needs to happen for Cali to receive the radioactivity from Japan actually happens. But it could and that stranger things have happend before. Like the fires during the Snata Anna Winds and heat wave from South America. So if all the stars were to align and the western USA did get hit with the radioactivity there are precautions we can take right now to limit damage and outbreak.

but he doesnt. Instead he gives a aliby iscase something happens.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#160 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 10:18 AM

[expletive], we're closer than you guys are. and we can't do [expletive] because our country is poor as a rat. but i read that unless a nuclear thing is detonated in the atmosphere, it won't really be that serious in terms of other countries being involved here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users