88 replies to this topic

#41 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:58 PM

Boston has a slight problem that could turn out to be a major one against the Heat and Lakers in the playoffs. They have lost two key ingredients that played major roles in defending Kobe and Gasol last season: Rasheed Wallace and Tony Allen.

Those bigs you're talking about (mainly Shaq) won't make much of a difference when they are forced into foul trouble, and that's all due to Ray Allen having to defend Kobe/Wade.

Garnett is an excellent defender, but he's not going to win that match-up against Gasol. Same with Perkins. Pau will take one in the post, and pull the other out of the lane, and that means it's open season for Bryant to get in and force Boston's help defense to go to work.

The importance of those two defensive players are going to be noted once you play Miami in the ECF. James and Wade will ISO the hell out of Boston, and put Ray Allen and Paul Pierce on an island. Once both get burned, the help will have to come, and Boston will be in foul trouble because there's not a single big (or single player) in the NBA that can keep LeBron away from the rim right now, not even Howard. Excellent perimeter defenders, and strong help, keeps him at bay...but, now, Boston is missing one of those two things.

Bryant had that 15-foot fadeaway whenever he wanted it last night. The Celtics were reluctant to help. Those 20 second-half points by Bryant weren't as difficult to come by, compared to the trouble he had in June of last year.

If Mario Chalmers (who is a good defender) decides to play Rondo the same way Kobe does, the Celtics are in big, big trouble, and will need to rely on Garnett to beat them. If Garnett is sitting the bench, game over, because with Glen Davis in the game, the Celtics will lack production in the post (Davis won't average 20 for the series, feeds off of contact, but Miami bigs don't mind it) and they will be incredibly limited on the defensive end, having to watch Bosh and the two superstar guards.

Riley didn't build the Heat to defeat the Lakers. LA is a strong team at the two, three and four, much like the Heat, and they have the necessary defenders and length to contest that. Riley constructed his team to defeat the Celtics...a good defensive PG that could play smart against Rondo, two slashing superstars that will eat Allen and Pierce alive without those specialty perimeter defenders, a four in Bosh that is versatile and can move Garnett out of the paint to control collapsing defenses, and a variety of bigs that will only have trouble defending Shaq, who will probably pick up three fouls in three minutes anyway.

#42 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,001 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:05 PM

Shaq is being saved for the playoffs, IDC who you are having KG, Perk, Big Baby, Shaq, and JO can wear you the eff out during the course of a 7 game series. We only have 3 bigs, and only one of them actually plays big most nights (take your pick). Miami matches up pretty well with Boston and I think they will come out of the East. If Bron and Wade wanna ring they will beat them, period...

Edited by Michael Knight, February 11, 2011 - 04:06 PM.

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#43 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,525 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:07 PM

Ya good point RD, those buckets came a lot easier last night to Kob' then in June last year.
I noticed how open the lane was
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#44 finalsrebound

finalsrebound

Rookie

• 297 posts
  • Name:TRAVIS
  • Fan Since:88
  • Fav. Laker:ODOM

Posted February 11, 2011 - 10:20 PM

NO WAY MIAMI GETS PASS BOSTON ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
BOTH WADE AND BRON ARE GREAT BUT ONCE THE PLAYOFF START THE GAMES SLOWS DOWN DRASTICALLY AND BOSH IS TOO SOFT AT CENTER.
EVERY TEAM HAS A WEAKNEST...TWO GREAT PLAYERS CANT BEAT A GREAT DEFENSIVE TEAMNO WAY.

Posted Image

#45 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 10:38 PM

NO WAY MIAMI GETS PASS BOSTON ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
BOTH WADE AND BRON ARE GREAT BUT ONCE THE PLAYOFF START THE GAMES SLOWS DOWN DRASTICALLY AND BOSH IS TOO SOFT AT CENTER.
EVERY TEAM HAS A WEAKNEST...TWO GREAT PLAYERS CANT BEAT A GREAT DEFENSIVE TEAMNO WAY.

1) Bosh isn't playing center for the Heat.

2) The Heat are also a great defensive team, 4th in the league.

#46 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2011 - 11:10 PM

Not much of an excuse guy so I wont go into anything that I thought cost us the game. At the end of the day, the Lakers made more plays so they deserved to win. No big deal. We will win the East period. Our schedule is super soft after sunday and we will start getting guys healthy and it'll be on. So, like I said Congrats. You guys out played us last night BUT, The CELTICS will host Banner 18 this year..............................BOOK IT

Spoken like a true celtic. You sound awfully confident zelsound. And I believe you are mistaken. The celtics already hosted their 18th banner, which was blank, BEFORE last season because they were so confident they would win and then went on to lose to us, no big surprise. You can hang up all the blank banners you want, but you guys won't be hanging up another real banner for a long, long time.

Edited by LakersChamps243, February 11, 2011 - 11:11 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#47 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 12, 2011 - 12:01 AM

1) Bosh isn't playing center for the Heat.

2) The Heat are also a great defensive team, 4th in the league.

The problem I see with the heat against the Celtics is that if the Celtics team defense frustrates Miami's offensive rhythm, both Wade and lebron will go into a lot of iso which will play perfectly into the Celtics hands.

Nothing the heat have done this season shows me they are capable of beating the Celtics.

#48 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

Lakers franchise > Celtics franchise

• 1,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1967
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted February 12, 2011 - 12:08 AM

You again? You posted last season last year was the Celtics' last chance. It's over.You know it is and you don't belive what you say. I don't care what hype you see on the news and the internet. I have spoken to many Celtics fans in person, the kind that don't go to internet forums, and this is the verdict:

1) Boston. if healthy, can't beat the Lakers in the finals.
2) Boston won't be healthy.

Look, last year Lakers would have swept Boston if Bryant and Bynum were 100%. Lakers got better in the offseason, and Kobe has thje monkey off his back, he beat the Celtics. Next time,m if you don't duck us again, will be much easier. Meanwhile, the Celtics got older. Don't tell me you're younger, unless you want to bench your big 3.

No stopping the Lakers 3 peat if it comes down to a rubber match in June. If we don't win it all, the Spurs will.

Lakers will get to banner 18 first, book it. Boston headed for obscurity again, and quickly.

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....nCelticsBusters

#49 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

• 1,404 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 12:56 AM

zelsound, is this you and your son last June?

Or this last May?

If we meet again in 2011, here's the outcome, again:

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

#50 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 01:40 AM

The problem I see with the heat against the Celtics is that if the Celtics team defense frustrates Miami's offensive rhythm, both Wade and lebron will go into a lot of iso which will play perfectly into the Celtics hands.

Nothing the heat have done this season shows me they are capable of beating the Celtics.

The iso's are the offense. Spoelstra has given Wade and James that green light, and they make plays out of those.

It's basically the 2009-10 Cavaliers, with at least one superstar on the floor, and fresh, for 48 minutes.

I'll put it this way: LeBron and Wade both tore the Celtics up in the playoffs last season...

Wade: 33.2 PPG (56% FG), 5.6 RPG, 6.8 APG
LeBron: 26.8 PPG (45% FG), 9.3 RPG, 7.2 APG

Didn't matter because they didn't have legitimate teammates to draw doubles, or take the load off of their backs even for a bit.

Combine them in a game, then add another 20-point threat in Chris Bosh, and those iso's are three times more difficult to defend. Boston doesn't have the individual defenders to handle James or Wade, and relying on help only gives the other two threats a path straight to the rim.

We'll see how all of this pans out on Sunday, because the Heat have been clicking since those losses to Boston. I hope they lose by 30, of course, because I hate LeBron more than I do the Celtics, but I don't think it's going to be that way this time around.

#51 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

• 1,404 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 05:41 AM

The iso's are the offense. Spoelstra has given Wade and James that green light, and they make plays out of those.

It's basically the 2009-10 Cavaliers, with at least one superstar on the floor, and fresh, for 48 minutes.

I'll put it this way: LeBron and Wade both tore the Celtics up in the playoffs last season...

Wade: 33.2 PPG (56% FG), 5.6 RPG, 6.8 APG
LeBron: 26.8 PPG (45% FG), 9.3 RPG, 7.2 APG

Didn't matter because they didn't have legitimate teammates to draw doubles, or take the load off of their backs even for a bit.

Combine them in a game, then add another 20-point threat in Chris Bosh, and those iso's are three times more difficult to defend. Boston doesn't have the individual defenders to handle James or Wade, and relying on help only gives the other two threats a path straight to the rim.

We'll see how all of this pans out on Sunday, because the Heat have been clicking since those losses to Boston. I hope they lose by 30, of course, because I hate LeBron more than I do the Celtics, but I don't think it's going to be that way this time around.

Good points. Boston fans are expecting to lose on Sunday, that's a fact. See, Boston is geting all this hype because they started so great. Heck they have done that 4 years running now and have one finals win and the biggest game 7 finals choke in NBA history to show for it. However, if you stop and look at reality you can see more of the truth. Boston got a 3-2 finals lead and lost. If it wasn't a 2-3-2 format they may have lost in 6, or definitely in 7. So they want home court advantage over us in 2011. They may get it, they may not. However, it's a long season and I think they peaked too early. I too have been expecting the Celtics to get there again, but lately, I am not so certain. They have a dogfight on their hands, even more so than they have had yet, and so do we. It's no automatic for them. Also, under the radar is Chicago, as is Dallas. The first seed in both conferences probably avoid them, and I know Boston fans don't want to play the Bulls in the playoffs.

Edited by Lakers_55, February 12, 2011 - 05:42 AM.

#52 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:45 AM

Shaq is being saved for the playoffs, IDC who you are having KG, Perk, Big Baby, Shaq, and JO can wear you the eff out during the course of a 7 game series. We only have 3 bigs, and only one of them actually plays big most nights (take your pick). Miami matches up pretty well with Boston and I think they will come out of the East. If Bron and Wade wanna ring they will beat them, period...

Shaq being saved for the layoffs???

Thats funny
If his name wasn't Shaq
He'd been cut by now
The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#53 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:50 AM

your right, we did bring our best............. or at least what we had available.

You're right, the Lakers have been fortunate to have had perfect health this season.

Kobe and Andrew didn't have knee surgery this summer, Pau hasn't battled hamstring issues, Barnes and Ratliff haven't had in-season surgery, and Walton doesn't have a bad back.

Thankfully, none of those things have hampered us, especially since we've played more games than any other team the last 3 years.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#54 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:52 AM

Ya good point RD, those buckets came a lot easier last night to Kob' then in June last year.
I noticed how open the lane was

Something else I noticed, was that after Kobe spent the first half dishing the ball, it helped open up the lanes for him early in the third. Instead of closing quickly, Pierce would still lag, expecting a pass out to the open shooter.

We only took 10 3's!

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#55 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted February 12, 2011 - 09:18 AM

yall that are pretending the Heat aint for real are trippen.
Whats scary is both Wade and Bron seem like they dont care about giving eachother the assist for the big finish.
They are playing together and executing well.
And one thing nobody ever says about Bosh is that he has the best outlet pass has always been dangerous. And now with Bron/Wade on the wings its Bosh's outlet pass kicks off fast breaks like lighting.
I hate them to...but be real. Their a formidable force that everyone has got to deal with for some time to come.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#56 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted February 12, 2011 - 09:40 AM

A healthy celtics can beat a healthy heat. With ease... That's just FACT.

Heat's waterloo are their frontline and their point guard position. Celtics, tho old are still capable of creating havoc. Yes, i [expletive]ing hate them but their defense has been phenomenal for the past 4 years. You got a system that forces their opponent to play at their own tempo, and i do believe the Celtics are more than capable of forcing Miami to play half-court. Yes, they have Wade & LeBron but Boston has one of the best defensive rotations in the league. They rely mostly on help defense, clogging the lanes. And if Miami can't play at their own pace, they'll end up being eaten alive. Either on the inside or Rondo picking their defense apart.

A healtyh celtics against a healthy lakers is another story. Lakers will prevail on a 7 game series through friendship, no just kidding.. i mean they'll prevail because Lakers has more depth, younger and BALANCED.

Edited by Kakel, February 12, 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#57 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,001 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:44 AM

Shaq being saved for the layoffs???

Thats funny
If his name wasn't Shaq
He'd been cut by now

Its true, they aren't using Shaq right now or would use him that much now that Perk is back. Only time they really need him is when the game slows down (playoffs)...

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#58 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 01:00 PM

So...Boston was a wide-open three-pointer, and one LeBron free throw (that he missed), away from losing the game in Boston today.

Didn't really need the three. If LeBron makes the free throw, the game is tied, and it probably goes into OT.

The Heat are getting better by the month. By the time the playoffs roll around, they will be a threat to take the East. James locked Pierce up better than Artest did (and Pierce was throwing up before the Lakers/Celtics game), so it's something to consider as well.

#59 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted February 13, 2011 - 01:59 PM

So...Boston was a wide-open three-pointer, and one LeBron free throw (that he missed), away from losing the game in Boston today.

Didn't really need the three. If LeBron makes the free throw, the game is tied, and it probably goes into OT.

The Heat are getting better by the month. By the time the playoffs roll around, they will be a threat to take the East. James locked Pierce up better than Artest did (and Pierce was throwing up before the Lakers/Celtics game), so it's something to consider as well.

I don't look at it that way at all. Boston has injuries and 2 people off the bench outplayed the Heat bench (granted, the Heat's bench is terrible). Pierce scored 1 point but Rondo and KG stepped up. Rondo guarded LeBron and locked him up in the 3rd quarter. Wade's turnovers were a killer, and he played pretty bad offensively also. I still see glaring problems with Miami. Defensively they are a great team but in the half court and at the end of games they are down right terrible. Miami loves to pick and roll, and Boston is great at defending it. I still believe that a healthy Boston team is better.

Edited by J-H!zZl3, February 13, 2011 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

#60 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 02:27 PM

I don't look at it that way at all. Boston has injuries and 2 people off the bench outplayed the Heat bench (granted, the Heat's bench is terrible). Pierce scored 1 point but Rondo and KG stepped up. Rondo guarded LeBron and locked him up in the 3rd quarter. Wade's turnovers were a killer, and he played pretty bad offensively also. I still see glaring problems with Miami. Defensively they are a great team but in the half court and at the end of games they are down right terrible. Miami loves to pick and roll, and Boston is great at defending it. I still believe that a healthy Boston team is better.

At the end of games, the Heat are better. That's when they attack the rim and get to the line, like they did against Boston. The Celtics were up by double-digits at one point, and then James started going to the rim.

And the Celtics should be happy they didn't have Shaq out there. He's pathetic at defending the pick and roll, and you're telling me the Heat love to do that. Layup drill for Miami.

And Rondo didn't lock LeBron up. James just decided to facilitate and work through Bosh in the third, which is what he usually does in at least one quarter. Rondo is far, far too small in weight and height to contain James, and you saw this with LeBron's layup halfway through the quarter (that sent him to the line, when Rondo fouled him).

Once the fourth rolled around, Rondo was in deep trouble, and he required help. Perkins (who actually ran over once or twice when LeBron was being aggressive) and Garnett had to seal the paint, and it gave Bosh a lot of open shots.

The first game the Celtics had against the Heat, they cruised. It wasn't technically a blowout, but they had their foot off the pedal and still won, letting the Heat creep back into the game late with their bench on and off the floor. The second game was a five-point game, Miami won the fourth and nearly found themselves tied, just a few mistakes earlier hurt them down the stretch.

Miami is most certainly playing better than they were back in October and November. They were 10-8 at the end of November, two losses to Boston. Since, they have gone 29-7. We can talk about how they started the season, and even where they are at right now, but it's a fact that the Heat have gotten much, much better since October, and they continue to develop chemistry on the court together. The injuries have set them back a bit (meaning, Bosh and Wade's), but they are healthy again, and will only get better. A lot of time left in the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users