Photo

Candace Parker to Win Both ROY and MVP!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:13 AM

Congrats to Candace!!!!

Before Detroit and San Antonio tangle in Game 2 of the WNBA Finals, they will yield the floor to a player who raised the bar for future players.

Preceding tip-off in San Antonio, Los Angeles Sparks forward Candace Parker will receive the league's Most Valuable Player award, The Los Angeles Times reported. Parker would become the first WNBA player to win MVP and the rookie of the year award in the same season.

The Times reported on its Web site late Thursday that Parker would be named MVP.

"It would mean a lot to me, playing in that highest level and actually winning the MVP award," Parker told The Times.

The WNBA is scheduled to make successive announcements for rookie of the year and MVP before Game 2 of the Shock-Silver Stars series in San Antonio (ESPN2, 7:45 p.m. ET).

The WNBA also announced its all-rookie team Friday. Parker, a unanimous selection as rookie of the year, was joined on the team by Minnesota guard Candice Wiggins, Chicago center Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota center Nicky Anosike, Houston guard Matee Ajavon and Connecticut forward Amber Holt. Ajavon and Holt tied for the fifth spot on the team and were both rewarded with a selection.

Parker, the league's No. 1 draft pick out of Tennessee, averaged 18.5 points on 52.3 percent shooting from the field, a WNBA-best 9.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocked shots in the regular season.

"She's pulling those type of numbers with great people around her," Sparks general manager Penny Toler told The Times. "I know people say that's easier, but it isn't. Sometimes, if you have a rookie, they may sit back and say, 'Well, let me just do the minimum.' But she never sat back, she did as much as she could to try to help us win."

The 22-year-old Parker told The Times that she took pride most in her rebounding.

"With rebounding, you get extra possessions, you finish possessions and it's important to your team," said Parker, who credited Sparks coach Michael Cooper for providing her the opportunity to grow as a pro.

"He never lowered the bar," Parker told The Times. "He always continued to raise it and I think that's why I always continued to be successful this year."

Among Parker's notable first-season highlights: scoring 34 points in her debut game, dunking in consecutive games and totaling 71 points in back-to-back wins in July. She also helped Team USA win Olympic gold in Beijing in August.

#2 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:18 AM

Amazing talent, fantastic achievement.

Too bad the Sparks couldn't make it to the Finals and win the championship - ROY, League MVP, Olympic Gold and a title would've been a helluva year. 3 out of 4 is freaking impressive.

#3 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Serious!? I just read that she will get ROY, but not heard of MVP...WOW!!! She's really my ticket to watching the WNBA...fantastic!!!!

#4 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted October 03, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Great for Parker...great for The Ladies League. Now if the Sparks can only get some guards instead of the pair of Smurfs in the backcourt, they should be much better.
Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

#5 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 03, 2008 - 09:55 AM

She's a great player. Just too bad the Sparks couldn't win it all as well.

#6 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,331 posts

Posted October 03, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Sucks..if Sparks won the WNBA title, Parker got everything.

#7 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted October 03, 2008 - 06:40 PM

LA has two MVPs. :)

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#8 Guest_Makaveli_*

Guest_Makaveli_*

Posted October 03, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Congrats to CP3.

It's crazy just a couple of years ago, we went to rival schools in high school, and know she's one of the best players in the WNBA.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 03, 2008 - 11:24 PM

There's a heck lot more of her with the MVP and ROY trophies, as well as 1st team plaque.

Her best stat of all? 5x5. Period.

#10 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Congrats cutie...
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron