• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:35 AM

Being reported on ESPN now. Originally started as twitter status.

Urban Meyer is stepping down as football coach at Florida, the school's athletic director announced Wednesday.

"I fully grasp the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field," Meyer said.

A news conference was scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida in the Outback Bowl against Penn State on January 1st in Tampa.

The Gators, who won two national championships and two Southeastern Conference titles under Meyer, had a disappointing season in 2010, going 7-5 (4-4 SEC).

A three-time national coach of the year, Meyer posted a 64-15 record in six seasons at Florida. He also coached at Utah and Bowling Green.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5899478

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:49 AM

Denver Broncos?

#3 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,352 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:54 AM

Has his coaching arc topped out?

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 11:59 AM

Has his coaching arc topped out?

He realized that there is no life after Tebow at Florida

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 08, 2010 - 01:56 PM

This decision likely came about because of a combination of Urban's health and as the article says...he wants to spend more time with his family. With the way Urban can recruit, it prolly has little, if any, to do with not having Tim Tebow. Being a college football coach is very demanding...especially in the SEC; prolly more demanding than being a NFL coach.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 02:06 PM

This decision likely came about because of a combination of Urban's health and as the article says...he wants to spend more time with his family. With the way Urban can recruit, it prolly has little, if any, to do with not having Tim Tebow. Being a college football coach is very demanding...especially in the SEC; prolly more demanding than being a NFL coach.

I really don't buy his "health" excuse.

If he had serious heart problems like he said he did, he would have stayed retired last season. I can bet some of the recruits from Florida's class last season are ticked off. They were all ready to go elsewhere, but miraculously Meyer came back and told them he would be the head coach moving forward.

Best of luck to him in whatever he does from here on out.

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 08, 2010 - 02:16 PM

I really don't buy his "health" excuse.

If he had serious heart problems like he said he did, he would have stayed retired last season. I can bet some of the recruits from Florida's class last season are ticked off. They were all ready to go elsewhere, but miraculously Meyer came back and told them he would be the head coach moving forward.

Best of luck to him in whatever he does from here on out.

It's been documented that he's had heart problems. I see no reason why he would lie about something like that.

maybe he thought he could handle the stresses of the game when he decided to come back but after this season he decided it's still too much for him.

yes, this is definitely going to affect Florida's recruiting

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted December 08, 2010 - 02:27 PM

Urban is an amazing coach. :rock: I still love him for everything he did at Utah.

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#9 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted December 18, 2010 - 03:13 PM

Word

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING COACH :rock:

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users