3 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,729 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 01, 2010 - 09:12 PM

I talked with Jaime and Kam, talked with the moderators. TLN is a wreck. There are too many "cliques" that are partially to blame for others getting banned, some that are still trying to get certain members banned.

Seems like the racist comments are more frequent, which was brought to my attention by two mods.

I've also noticed members attacking each other more than ever.

I'm not going to go down with the ship, and neither will the staff and the guys that own TLN. Most of them are willing to bail if it gets bad enough, and I don't blame them.

So, I'm going to do something different. Since rebellion seems to be cool, and everything can be blamed on who was banned in the past (or how members have been treated over time), here's what will happen:

1) as of right now, everyone is unbanned, even spammers
2) the moderators are all demoted, willingly
3) all IP addresses that were previously banned are now off the filter

Everyone is welcome to post, and everyone will have an account here. If chaos follows, I guess it's okay now. The dedicated TLN'ers will show just how much they love this place by enduring it, not being a part of the problem, and proving to the staff that they are wanted, and that the guidelines set for everyone can be accepted by everyone.

We'll see who really deserved the bans they got and what members will be around no matter the consequences.

Most of you aren't too happy with past bans, so now you can be happy that they are all reversed.

No reason to discuss this topic because there's no reversing it, so I'm closing it up.

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,729 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 09:59 PM

The spiral started when we had members more worried about who was posting what on TLN. It's okay to personally attack a member, but not okay to criticize Andrew Bynum?

Also, these cliques have to go. There's no reason for five active members to leave when one of their best friends decides he's going to screw up. Members will not be allowed to bad-mouth the staff. Most are going to be expected to handle it like men (or grown adults) in a personal message, not like rebellious children who think that a gathering of members will help the cause.

Some have asked for the word filter to be dropped. You don't see it dropped at RealGM.

Some wonder why topics are locked, but they only read 3-4 posts in the thread and ignore the other 14 pages of rambling and off-topic discussion and personal attacks.

Since June 29th, 2008 (when I put the board up), I have yet to have a single staff member (the TLN owners, the moderators, anyone) question how this place is ran. We have yet to have a staff dispute, even among moderators, which is unbelievable. Every ban has been warranted, every ban receiving nods by the entire active staff.

There's much more to look at, and the staff sees all. Mods get complaints from other members, topics that only half of the community actually care about and pay attention to. One member was responsible for turning seven topics, in a three-week span, into Bynum debates. One member was banned for making harassing posts, then deleting them once staff members jumped online...yet, he forgot that all deleted posts go into a trash can we can view. Personal attacks in deleted status messages. Threats in PM's that are forwarded to the staff. Very few of you see it.

Members can come and go. There will always be activity here, even if I have to press hard to pull Lakers fans from Twitter and Facebook (I can find 50 new and active Lakers fans today, and we already have 180+ active members in the last 24 hours, as you can see near the bottom of the board).

I don't pay moderators for what they do here. I don't get paid to admin. Guys like Eric Pincus...they don't get paid to post their articles in our forums. We run TLN to make sure the fanbase has a place to post. I took a couple of days to design a free skin, in an attempt to make TLN look like the best Lakers message board out there. We let everyone register for free, post for free, learn and teach the game of basketball for free.

All we ask is that you respect opinions, positive or negative, dealing with everything you can discuss here. If someone doesn't like Gasol or Kobe, and they are all over them every game, it's going to be accepted as long as it's a legitimate excuse. They don't deserve to be called Faker fans just as die-hard fans don't deserve to be called homers. Not all Lakers fans are from Los Angeles, either, because if they were, this fanbase would be the smallest in the NBA. Fans from all over spend just as much money to attend Lakers road games.

You can translate this message however you want, guys...but no matter who enters and exits this site, no matter who, we aren't going to get rid of members to satisfy others, and we aren't going to put people on staff that aren't capable of running or helping maintain a community.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,729 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 02:43 AM

Going to check into an arcade, see how many resources it uses up.

Also, there's a chat for IPB that is maintained through the forums, far better than the blog's shoutbox, much more control. I'll look into this as well, but it's possible we may have to choose one of the two due to resource limits.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,729 posts

Posted December 08, 2010 - 02:45 AM

Future plans could also include a recruiting system, to bring in new members and add to the 160+ active members we already have logging in, and promoting Twitter and Facebook by sticking them directly in the sidebar, further creating a bridge between the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users