Photo

Does anyone here use Google or Apple TV?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,348 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:03 PM

I'm learning about these right now. At the moment, I'm finding it difficult to justify buying this, rather than just just an HDMI cable to connect your computer to your TV. Any thoughts?

Edited by leor_77, November 15, 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#2 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,230 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:19 PM

I'm learning about these right now. At the moment, I'm finding it difficult to justify buying this, rather than just just an HDMI cable to connect your computer to your TV. Any thoughts?

Connecting your laptop to tv is much better as far as price is considered.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#3 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,821 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:43 PM

Getting a tv tuner on your computer is a LOT cheaper. I don't have one yet, but many of my friends have them installed, and they can run from $50 to around $300

#4 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,841 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:48 PM

I have an Apple TV.

what do you wanna know?

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#5 JohnMcCartney

JohnMcCartney

Rookie

• 691 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:50 PM

^^ is it worth it?

I was thinking about saving up for one last week... but its seems like hefty price. is it worth it?

how else do you use it other than movies you bought on iTunes?

#6 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,841 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 11:24 AM

^^ is it worth it?

I was thinking about saving up for one last week... but its seems like hefty price. is it worth it?

how else do you use it other than movies you bought on iTunes?

it's only 100$ + enough for an HDMI cable(that part sucks).

I use it mostly to listen to my itunes music library in my living room(worth my 100$ just for this). It does netflix(pretty good but not as good as my PS3) Flickr, youtube, radio and podcasts. Another cool thing is the Airplay capability. If I'm sitting near my ATV and watching something on my iPhone I can choose to watch it on Appletv instead of a phone screen. Like if you have a digital copy of a movie on your phone you can stream it straight to your TV. Computer doesn't have to be on to Airplay. It's cool I like it.

#7 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,348 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 01:54 PM

it's only 100$ + enough for an HDMI cable(that part sucks).

I use it mostly to listen to my itunes music library in my living room(worth my 100$ just for this). It does netflix(pretty good but not as good as my PS3) Flickr, youtube, radio and podcasts. Another cool thing is the Airplay capability. If I'm sitting near my ATV and watching something on my iPhone I can choose to watch it on Appletv instead of a phone screen. Like if you have a digital copy of a movie on your phone you can stream it straight to your TV. Computer doesn't have to be on to Airplay. It's cool I like it.

It would seem that if you had a decent laptop, you could do all of the same things with a simple HDMI cable connected to your HDTV. This is what confuses me. Why get Apple TV when you can connect your computer/laptop straight to your TV?

#8 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,841 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:42 PM

It would seem that if you had a decent laptop, you could do all of the same things with a simple HDMI cable connected to your HDTV. This is what confuses me. Why get Apple TV when you can connect your computer/laptop straight to your TV?

Why? Convenience. Why not instead of using a laptop you just buy a mini PC for your TV? Plus for me I store everything on an external HD not on my laptop. So..different strokes for different folks. :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users