Photo

Raptors Offer Three-Year, $36M Contract To Steve Nash (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,178 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 17, 2012 - 05:24 AM

Please. The Suns don't want to trade him. He'd rather finish out his career with the Suns. Nash has built a relationship with the community and doesn't want to [expletive] on that by asking for a trade to the contender. He is under contract to play for the Phoenix Suns. He clearly doesn't feel comfortable forcing himself out of a losing situation.

Nash has become the face of the Phoenix Suns organization. A two-time MVP. Great point guard and a better person. He wants to finish his career in Phoenix rather than forcing a trade to the [expletive]ing Heat.

Nash is the perfect example of what a franchise player should be.

Of course the Suns don't want to trade him, they don't have any other draw on that team.

If Nash is all that you say he is (and it's true) then why isn't his franchise doing what's necessary to get a championship? They're a .500 team with some nice pieces but it would have been appropriate if they had done some nice deals in an effort to make a run at the ship.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#42 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,519 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 06:17 PM

That question can only be answered by Robert Sarver. He wasn't going to give Amare Stoudemire a five year, 100 million dollar contract with his questionable knees. You can question his ambition to win (Sarver is widely regarded as one of the worst owners in sports). However, the Suns don't have the deep pockets like other teams, and Nash understands he will have to work with a group of average players.

Nash could sign with a contender when his contract comes off the books this summer. He has earned the goodwill from Suns fans to play his last year for one shot at a ring. Nash has publicly said he doesn't want to be a player who demands a trade. He believes in honoring the contract he signed.

#43 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,703 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Steve Nash Needs To See Improvements From Suns To Re-Sign

Posted Image

Steve Nash acknowledged that he is unlikely to re-sign with the Suns if the team doesn't make improvements in the offseason.

"I'm not coming back to the Suns if there isn't improvement," Nash said.

Nash expects the Suns to make the type of improvements he is referencing.

Nash also said he would consider an offer from the Heat.

"I would listen," Nash said. "He's phenomenal. I love what they're doing there. A lot of people don't like them because they put all that talent there. But they're professional, they play hard, they play together. Their coaching staff has done a great job so I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.

"I would definitely listen."

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/03/29/steve-nash-talks-about-free-agency-kentucky-vs-nba-team/

#44 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,519 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:50 PM

I was wrong. Nash would consider joining the evil Heat for one last chance at a ring. I thought he was committed to Phoenix

#45 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:26 PM

Miami with a PG like Nash... WOAH. As an NBA fan you can't help but think how crazy that'd be.

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#46 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,703 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Steve Nash Interested In Three-Year Deal

Posted Image

By Marc Stein | ESPN.com

With the Phoenix Suns clinging to their playoff lives in the Western Conference, star point guard Steve Nash insists his back feels "the best it's felt in a decade."

Nash, who turned 38 in February, also told ESPN.com in a phone interview before Tuesday night's game in Sacramento he intends to "sign for three more years this summer" and play beyond his 40th birthday when he either inks a new deal to stay with the Suns or finds a new team via free agency.

Responding to a New York Post report in Tuesday's editions which described the condition of Nash's back as "bad as it has ever been," Nash strongly disputed such suggestions. He expressed great satisfaction with the way his health has held up through the rigors of a lockout-compacted schedule that called for 66 regular-season games in a span of about 120 days.

"It's been my best year physically from start to finish in a long time," Nash said. "Other than a little tweak (last week) against San Antonio, my back's been pretty close to 100 percent."

The Post report noted that Nash has taken more than eight shots only once in his past 10 games and pinpointed back issues as the reason why Nash's field-goal attempts are down.

Nash, though, says the overwhelming attention he gets from opposing defenses -- on a team with no scorer adept at creating his own shot and no one averaging more than center Marcin Gortat's 16.1 points per game -- is the only factor keeping his shot totals in single digits.

"Maybe I could be more aggressive looking for my shot, but every team we play traps me (frequently) or (jumps) out hard at me on the pick-and-roll," Nash said. "So my thinking is, 'Get it out of my hands as fast as possible and it's four on three or three on two for my teammates.' It seems to be working. We've been playing a lot better (since the All-Star break). I'm not just going to be forcing up shots to improve my numbers."

Despite the recent back "tweak" he mentioned, Nash logged 35 minutes on Sunday in a home win over New Orleans. Nash tallied 14 assists to go with four points to maintain his edge on Boston's Rajon Rondo for the NBA assist lead. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it was the third time in a span of 10 days that both Nash and Rondo notched at least 14 assists on the same day.

Nash has missed only four games this season for the Suns (26-26) and is averaging 12.7 points and 11.3 assists. The two-time former MVP was named an All-Star in February for the eighth time in his 16-year career.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7771867/phoenix-suns-steve-nash-says-back-feels-great-intends-sign-three-year-deal-summer

#47 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:57 AM

yeah i heard that last week he feels better than ever at 39
Posted Image

#48 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,703 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Amar'e Wants Steve Nash To Join Knicks

Posted Image

By Frank Isola AND Kevin Armstrong / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

MIAMI — Amar’e Stoudemire issued a public plea to Steve Nash, his former Phoenix Suns teammate who will be a free agent on July 1, to join him in New York.

“Everyone knows that Steve loves New York and that New York loves Steve,” Stoudemire told The Daily News. “I love Steve. It would be great to have him here next year.”

Ideally, the Knicks would have Nash as their starting point guard next season with Jeremy Lin serving as the understudy. The addition of the two-time MVP would go a long way toward making the partnership of Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony a successful one.

It is believed that the Knicks would have a better chance at signing Nash if his former coach, Mike D’Antoni, was still coaching the Knicks. However, a source close to Nash asked the veteran that same question and Nash responded by saying he isn’t “ruling out anybody at this point.”

Nash, who spends part of his summer in Manhattan, has always been enamored with the idea of playing at Madison Square Garden. However, close friends say that if Nash were to sign for the veteran minimum, he will go only to a contending team, which is why Miami is suddenly emerging as a strong candidate.

“Why would he want to do that,” Stoudemire said, laughing. “This is a terrible, terrible situation here, right?”

In other words, Stoudemire understands that LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Pat Riley and South Beach are very attractive to Nash.

One dark horse team could be the Portland Trail Blazers, the nearest NBA city to Nash’s hometown of Vancouver. Nash has several business interests in Vancouver, including ownership in the Major League Soccer team there, and playing for the Trail Blazers would make sense personally and professionally for him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/amar-e-stoudemire-fired-bring-steve-nash-york-article-1.1075531?localLinksEnabled=false

#49 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:52 AM

Nash is the missing piece for the Knicks IMO.

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#50 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,178 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:10 AM

nash could be on his way in but amare could be on his way out

Pau Gasol is GONE

#51 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:19 AM

nash could be on his way in but amare could be on his way out

Good luck trying to get rid of that fantastic contract.

#52 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:19 AM

Lakers still have that trade exception. Perhaps PHX will do a sign and trade for Nash out of the respect and service he gave the organization.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#53 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Good luck trying to get rid of that fantastic contract.

Yep. It's uninsured too. And the Knicks used their amnesty on Billups already.

Posted Image

#54 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,703 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Report: Raptors Set Sights On Steve Nash

Posted Image

Toronto will be in direct competition with the Knicks for Steve Nash. But Nash is expected to look to sign with a bona fide contender, and the Knicks and Raptors don't fit that description.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/chicago-bulls-fate-tied-derrick-rose-health-miami-heat-pat-riley-recalls-dwyane-wade-05-injury-article-1.1077053?pgno=1

#55 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,178 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 10:17 AM

nash finally wants to sign with a contender huh

guess he'll be going to miami

Pau Gasol is GONE

#56 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,703 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Nets, Raptors and Blazers To Lead Pursuit Of Steve Nash

Posted Image

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The chatter about Steve Nash’s future whipped up in earnest over the weekend, which isn’t surprising for two reasons:

1. Free agency is officially less than a month away now that we’re into June.

2. Nash and another NBA senior citizen -- Boston’s Kevin Garnett –--would appear to be the two most attractive unrestricted free agents on the 2012 market not named Deron Williams ... since no one expects Tim Duncan to give leaving San Antonio one millisecond of thought when Duncan theoretically joins Nash and KG on the open market July 1.

Nash himself, I’m told, is still days away from giving his future deep thought. He said many times late in the regular season that he’ll listen to any pitch that comes this summer, hoping that the next contract he signs -- preferably for three seasons -- will be his last. But he admitted last month at a press conference in Toronto that he hadn’t even started the process.

More, then, is known about the teams chasing Nash. It’s a list that still starts with the Phoenix Suns, who cling to the hope that they can keep the most beloved player in franchise history, but it’s also destined to be a longer list than you think once free agency actually starts, since Nash is seen around the league as far more gettable than D-Will.

Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that the three teams with salary-cap space best positioned to make a credible run at the 38-year-old, at this early juncture, are Portland, Toronto and Brooklyn (should the Nets lose D-Will).

New York and Miami are also frequently mentioned as potential Nash destinations, but neither the Knicks nor the Heat have the requisite cap room to make a serious bid. The Blazers, by contrast, have coveted Nash for years in trades and will finally have the financial flexibility to chase him, offering the closest proximity to Nash’s Vancouver roots than anywhere else on the NBA map among other perks. Sources say that the Raptors, meanwhile, will be determined suitors in the Nash Sweepstakes, with a serious offer forthcoming to try to bring the newly installed general manager of Canada’s national team back to home soil after 16 seasons south of the border with the Suns and Mavericks.

Also: CSNChicago.com reported Sunday that the Chicago Bulls intend to join the Knicks and Heat on the list of glamour teams that will take a long-shot run at Nash. You can go ahead and put Dallas in that club, too, should the Mavericks fail in their attempt to bring DFW-area native D-Will home.

The New York Daily News, furthermore, reports that the Suns plan to “go all out” for Williams if they end up losing Nash. The safest forecast of them all: This won’t be the last story that mentions both Williams and Nash, since they’re two of the certifiable stars -- albeit at vastly different stages of their career -- in a free-agent class with precious few of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/44602/latest-on-the-chase-for-steve-nash

• 40,556 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 01:56 PM

^ If it ends up being any of those three teams, it should be the Raptors. It'd only be a fitting way to finish his career in his home country with his native people.

yo.

#58 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,703 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Steve Nash Says He'll 'Definitely Consider' Joining Knicks

Posted Image

MIAMI – The words Knicks fans wanted to hear finally came flowing out of Steve Nash‘s mouth yesterday. The two-time MVP and soon-to-be free-agent point guard says the Knicks are on his list of teams that he’ll consider playing for this season.

He praised the Knicks during a promotional appearance in Manhattan, telling ESPNNewYork.com:

“The Knicks are a great franchise and I live in New York City (each summer), so I’d definitely consider them if they were interested.”

The Knicks’ interest should be high, considering their muddled point guard situation. Jeremy Lin is also a free agent and there is no guarantee he signs with the Knicks this summer. And Baron Davis had knee surgery and it’s not clear exactly when he will return and what shape his game will be in when he does.

Knicks coach Mike Woodson knows his team needs solid point guard play from the start of this season and who better to orchestrate for Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire (Nash’s former teammate in Phoenix) than the Nash?

There should be plenty of competition to sign Nash, 38, who has made it clear that he feels great and can see himself playing three more years:

“I want to wait and see what’s actually on the table,” he said. “I’m open and excited. I’m looking at every possibility right now. It sounds like there are a number of teams that are interested.”

Other than playing for the Heat or Magic (alongside Dwight Howard?), there isn’t a more intriguing destination for Nash than the Knicks. He has no plans to make a decision before free agency kicks off July 1.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/06/21/nash-says-the-magic-words-will-consider-the-knicks-in-free-agency/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

#59 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,703 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Steve Nash To Raptors Rumors Gaining Momentum

Posted Image

By Randy Hill

The fluid and meandering stream of Steve Nash speculation rolled through some interesting ports of alleged interest in recent days.

It began with Nash's seemingly polite confirmation that he'd listen if the New York Knicks showed interest when the 38-year-old point guard hustles into free agency next month — a Knicks insider confirmed that the speculated interest in Nash remains legitimate. A couple of days later, the NBA ruled that two key Knicks — including point guard Jeremy Lin — would be granted early Bird rights, making it easier for New York to retain its surprise phenom and still use the mid-level exception ($5 million) to woo Nash.

From there, Nash watchers were obliged to consider a couple of reports strongly suggesting that the two-time Most Valuable Player has winnowed his NBA employment options to three cities: Toronto, Portland and back here in Phoenix.

To believe that, one must toss out recent reports credited to supposed inside bean-spillers that Nash requires his next team to be on the cusp of an NBA championship. Although he never really said this, Nash did help stir such assumptions during a not-so-long-ago radio tour that included admitting his interest in listening to LeBron James if the officially crowned king gave him a call regarding work with the Miami Heat.

But now that has LeBron scored, passed and rebounded his way to a championship, there may be little teaming-up interest from either party. The Heat would seem more interested in using their limited resources — just the mid-level exception — to hire a big man with more productivity potential than Joel Anthony or Rony Turiaf.

The Knicks — with coach Mike Woodson looking more like a grind-it-out sort — may not satisfy a Nash shopping list that includes on-court fit, competitive potential of the team, money and family location issues.

With Deron Williams reportedly hoping the Nets can do enough to keep him in Brooklyn, the Dallas Mavericks — assuming the hiring of an aging point guard he once let get away is Mark Cuban's idea of retooling — will be associated with Nash in more upcoming rumors.

Meanwhile, several NBA personnel executives have confirmed that the Nash-to-Toronto rumors may have real traction.

"I've been hearing that from people that would know," said one Western Conference sharpie, sounding very much like the rest of us. "The Raptors may not be ready to win right away, but with (Andrea) Bargnani, (DeMar) DeRozan and maybe (Jonas) Valanciunas coming over next season, they could be pretty decent right away with Nash. And they could have enough cap space to get something done there."

Valanciunas, the 7-footer chosen fifth overall by the Raptors in the 2011 draft, was the dominant player in last summer's U-19 World Championships. According to reports earlier this month, there's a strong chance he could buy out the last year of his European contract — the Raps are able to pony up roughly a quarter of that price — and play in the NBA next season.

The Raptors also have the eighth pick in this week's draft, with which they're expected to grab an attacking wing (such as Dion Waiters of Syracuse) or high-scoring, draft-board-climbing point guard Damian Lillard of Weber State.

The Portland Trail Blazers' long-reported interest in acquiring Nash may have waned or expired entirely. The Blazers, who own the sixth and 11th picks, also have a new general manager. Neil Olshey, fresh from a pretty strong spin with the Los Angeles Clippers, may have enough new-guy latitude to prefer rebuilding.

"I want to make it clear ... we're not looking for quick fixes," Olshey said recently. "We're not looking for aging veterans."

Meanwhile, fans in Phoenix are particularly interested in the plans of at least one aging veteran.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/06/24/12/Nash-speculation-gaining-steam-but-littl/landing_suns.html?blockID=751304&feedID=3559

#60 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:22 AM

he can make them go into playoff contention but they are aiming at 7th seed at best
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users