#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:39 PM

Terrible move

http://twitter.com/SteveKays/status/29440210004

Broussard: Grizzlies sign PG Mike Conley to 5-year contract extension worth $45 million
2 minutes ago via Echofon

Him and Rudy Gay are getting paid ridiculous amount of money

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:43 PM

Why? Their GM/Owner tandem is terrible. Neither knows what they're doing.

#3 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:43 PM

he's playin sick so far though, they must see something him

Edited by Clutch, November 01, 2010 - 08:44 PM.

bw1wOGf.png

#4 bruddahmanmatt

bruddahmanmatt

Rookie

• 495 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:46 PM

Terrible move

http://twitter.com/SteveKays/status/29440210004

Him and Rudy Gay are getting paid ridiculous amount of money

You know what's whack? No one, not even Conley, was expecting him to get an extension after this season and then all of a sudden he explodes out of the gates this year. His assist numbers are way up and he's been doing VERY well so far. I know they've only played three regular season games but he seems to be turning into the PG that Memphis thought they were getting when the drafted him. I'm wondering if his improved performance has anything to do with Zach Randolph's absence. Without Z-bo on the floor hog cheesing the ball down low Conley is free to run the show offensively. Still, that's an a*sload of money for a guy who's only real promising run has been a stretch of three games. I have to imagine that the Grizz will be cutting Randolph loose at the end of the season or attempting to trade him at the deadline but I hope Memphis realizes that they're gonna be overpaying to retain Gasol this summer and that Mayo comes off of his rookie deal a year later.

#5 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:46 PM

WTF its only 9 mill a year

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#6 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:00 PM

You know what's whack? No one, not even Conley, was expecting him to get an extension after this season and then all of a sudden he explodes out of the gates this year. His assist numbers are way up and he's been doing VERY well so far. I know they've only played three regular season games but he seems to be turning into the PG that Memphis thought they were getting when the drafted him. I'm wondering if his improved performance has anything to do with Zach Randolph's absence. Without Z-bo on the floor hog cheesing the ball down low Conley is free to run the show offensively. Still, that's an a*sload of money for a guy who's only real promising run has been a stretch of three games. I have to imagine that the Grizz will be cutting Randolph loose at the end of the season or attempting to trade him at the deadline but I hope Memphis realizes that they're gonna be overpaying to retain Gasol this summer and that Mayo comes off of his rookie deal a year later.

this just improves Mayo's and Gasol's chances of being Lakers :D Memphis shot themselves in the foot right there

Edited by MDI, November 01, 2010 - 09:00 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,810 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:03 PM

In other news, the dudes a HACK in 2k11. Try playing with Memphis, get his jumper going, won't lose.

But yeah, not the greatest move this early in this season.

#8 bruddahmanmatt

bruddahmanmatt

Rookie

• 495 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:41 PM

this just improves Mayo's and Gasol's chances of being Lakers :D Memphis shot themselves in the foot right there

I mean I have to wonder what the hell Memphis is doing with this move. The Grizz are massively overpaying for guys whose demand isn't even that great. Rudy Gay probably would have drawn some interest this summer, but not 82 million dollar interest. Now Heisley and Wallace give this absurd contract to Conley. The guy has pretty much been a bust up until the beginning of this year and you overpay before you've even hit the halfway point of the season to see if his performance thus far is legit. St00ped. Who the hell else was gonna give Conley a 45 million dollar contract. Crap like this is why I have no sympathy for owners b**ching about wanting to cut player salaries because they're making too much. Front offices should NOT be doling out this kind of cash to players who simply don't deserve it.

#9 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:46 PM

I mean I have to wonder what the hell Memphis is doing with this move. The Grizz are massively overpaying for guys whose demand isn't even that great. Rudy Gay probably would have drawn some interest this summer, but not 82 million dollar interest. Now Heisley and Wallace give this absurd contract to Conley. The guy has pretty much been a bust up until the beginning of this year and you overpay before you've even hit the halfway point of the season to see if his performance thus far is legit. St00ped. Who the hell else was gonna give Conley a 45 million dollar contract. Crap like this is why I have no sympathy for owners b**ching about wanting to cut player salaries because they're making too much. Front offices should NOT be doling out this kind of cash to players who simply don't deserve it.

Memphis is overpaying because they have no choice, but to overpay their players if they want to keep them. Why would someone re-sign with the Grizzlies if they can get the same amount of money from a better team and a better market?

#10 bruddahmanmatt

bruddahmanmatt

Rookie

• 495 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:58 PM

Memphis is overpaying because they have no choice, but to overpay their players if they want to keep them. Why would someone re-sign with the Grizzlies if they can get the same amount of money from a better team and a better market?

With Gasol and Mayo I can understand overpaying. Gay, maybe, but Conley was almost certain to be gone at the end of the year then all of a sudden out of nowhere he turns it on at the start of the season this year. Thing is, there was literally ZERO demand for Mike Conley unlike Rudy Gay who was sure to have a few suitors until the Grizzlies made a preemptive move to retain him this summer by overpaying. Memphis had no reason to go out and extend Conley three games into the regular season. I understand that the deadline for extensions was tonight and that he's playing well right now but three games of great play versus three years of inconsistency, well, you do the math. Guy should be earning his contract just like everyone else. It's not like Memphis won't be able to retain his rights as the guy will be a RFA next summer.

The only reason for Memphis to pay Conley what they did is if they thought that other teams would be swooping in with huge offers over 45 mil that the Grizz would be forced to match next summer when he becomes a RFA.

"Earth to Heisley and Wallace...not really"

They overestimated his value big time. It ain't like the league has a shortage of quality talent at the PG position and it ain't like Conley is THAT good. The irony in all of this is that Heisley caused a big stir up when he refused to pay Henry and Vasquez 120% of their rookie pay scale salary but then he goes out and gives a fat contract to Mike frickin' Conley after three games? lol :omg:

Edited by bruddahmanmatt, November 01, 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#11 bruddahmanmatt

bruddahmanmatt

Rookie

• 495 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hahahaha. :laughing:

Posted Image

#12 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted November 02, 2010 - 12:06 AM

So he trades Pau Gasol to "save" money. Then a year later, trades for Zach Randolph, gives Rudy Gay 80 million and then gives Conley Scrub Jr 45 million?!?! The players union must have the upper hand in negotiations now for the CBA.
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#13 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted November 02, 2010 - 06:43 AM

Sad... just sad.

And who da [expletive] is that gou on twitter? damn, calm that dude down! :laughing:

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#14 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:32 AM

lmao at the Twitter guy. :laughing:

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#15 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,285 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:33 AM

Good...

I hope it makes Marc Gasol realize the dead end the Grizzlies are and encourages him to move further West and join his brother.

When Marc's a free agent one more Grizzlies deal for the Lakers would be nice. Sign and trade Bynum for Gasol and change would suit me fine.

#16 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:50 AM

Good...

I hope it makes Marc Gasol realize the dead end the Grizzlies are and encourages him to move further West and join his brother.

When Marc's a free agent one more Grizzlies deal for the Lakers would be nice. Sign and trade Bynum for Gasol and change would suit me fine.

Marc's a free agent in '11 summer, im not sure if we can dish out any money considering we have LO,Drew, Pau and Ron locked up to some big contracts and a crowded frontcourt rotation.

I don't know lets see what the new CBA turns out

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#17 bruddahmanmatt

bruddahmanmatt

Rookie

• 495 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:06 AM

Marc's a free agent in '11 summer, im not sure if we can dish out any money considering we have LO,Drew, Pau and Ron locked up to some big contracts and a crowded frontcourt rotation.

I don't know lets see what the new CBA turns out

Not only that. Marc Gasol will be a RFA next summer so Memphis will still have right of first refusal. At the very least the Grizz will be able to retain him for a minimum of one more year but given the league's high demand for bigs and the fact that Marc is quickly on the rise to becoming one of the NBA's top centers, other teams are sure to be flying in with huge offers next summer forcing Memphis to either match in order to retain him or let him walk to the highest bidder. They'd be crazy not to keep him and considering what they just gave Gay and Conley, I don't see why they'd pass on paying Gasol. Then again, Heisley could always surprise us all and extend Zach Randolph instead and choose to cut loose of their two best players in Marc Gasol and O.J. Mayo when the latter hits the FA market in the summer of '12. LOL.

Edited by bruddahmanmatt, November 02, 2010 - 11:08 AM.

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:07 AM

lol

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:08 AM

Sign and trade Bynum for Gasol and change would suit me fine.

:yes:

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 bruddahmanmatt

bruddahmanmatt

Rookie

• 495 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:50 AM

Details

The Michael Conley Jr. Contract

Underneath the paperwork, the Grizzlies decision to sign Conley to a five-year, $40 million contract (with lofty incentives that could increase the overall value) isn't that much of a shock to the system.

Some key points about the deal:

1. The contract kicks in for the 2011-12 season, starting at roughly $6.5 million. With the maximum 10.5-percent raises allowed, the increases will look something like $7.18 (year 2), $7.9 (year 3), $8.76 (year 4) and $9.68 (year 5). There is no doubt (even with a new CBA) that Conley would have received an offer starting at least $6 million.

2. The only way Conley can exceed $40 million (i.e. the $45 million that national media was given by Conley's agent) is for him to produce what was described to me as "elite level PG statistics" AND the Griz must be winning 50-plus regular-season games AND having success in the playoffs. That means the bonus package is tied to individual and team greatness.

3. Another win/win in the deal is that there is deferred money in the deal. That'll help the Grizzlies' cash flow when their payroll is enormous. Zach Randolph came to Memphis with deferred money, which made it a little easier to absorb his contract.

Conley will receive his market value on the front end. And the Grizzlies got a little creative with this early signing realizing they'll have important business with Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph and O.J. Mayo.

I do think someone will be sacrificed in the long run. Unless the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement reduces length of guaranteed contracts /player salaries and includes better revenue sharing, then I tend to believe Mayo will be the odd man out because of sheer timing for his payday.

But that's another topic. Conley will be a Grizzlies for a long a good while.

Count me among those who believe --- all things considered -- this is a good thing.

http://blogs.commerc...r-contract.html

Still, the fact that no one else was bidding for Conley makes this deal ridiculous. The ONLY reason I could see Heisley doing something like this is if he's betting on contract rollbacks with the next CBA (it would also explain Rudy Gay's money) but that is a VERY big risk to be taking.

Edited by bruddahmanmatt, November 02, 2010 - 11:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users