Photo

Why is wrestling (WWE) still taken seriously?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 12, 2010 - 06:16 PM

it should be for kids and parents who take their kids to watch but if you're grown you shouldn't be watching it

You care way too much about what other ppl like or is interested in.

#22 ML21

ML21

Laker Fanatic est 8/15/1990

• 278 posts
  • Name:Matthew
  • Fan Since:Birth 1990
  • Fav. Laker:Eddie Jones,Shaq,Kobe,D-Fish

Posted October 12, 2010 - 06:54 PM

If people still watch it then leave them alone. I'll admit I use to watch it alot till like Senior year but I have little brothers who are into it so I watch it with them sometimes because its a something I do with my brothers. If people watch it then thats them. Don't bash people who watch it. Now why its taken seriously if you look at it with the HGH and Sterroids issue it's an example of this HGH and Sterroids stuff is in Wrestling. Others take it seriously cause hey its entertaining and yes theres other stuff thats entertaining thats on. But why do you watch Jersey Shore and American Idol? So why ask them why its entertaining and taken seriously. They like or love this stuff so thats them. They take WWE seriously the same way people take Jersey Sore or Harry Potter Books seriously.
Posted Image

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 12, 2010 - 08:15 PM

I used to love wrestling, slipped out of it when I was around 14 or 15.

I ran into a huge fan (and an old friend of mine) that actually had a wrestling ring that his dad built in the backyard (yeah, they are rich). I joked about how you don't have to be athletic to be a successful wrestler, and so he told me to get into the ring and to let him powerbomb me.

I didn't get up for a full minute, at least. Not only did it knock the wind out of me, it also felt like I broke my back.

You can whine about it all you want, but you'd be whining once you get in there and perform like those athletes do. Fake? Nah. It's scripted. Two different things. The wrestling moves, and the impact felt, is not fake...and my friend made me look like a complete idiot when I made fun of it, and I consider myself pretty athletic.

I haven't watched wrestling in years (probably 10+ years), but I'll say this much: I think the UFC is fantastic and I watch a lot of fights, but there's no way in hell you'd see Anderson Silva jump off the top of a 20-foot cage and land on a table.

The sad part is, almost every wrestler can more than likely kick your ass, all of them make more money than you do, almost all of them get more girls, all of them are more well-known, and yet you're saying that only children and immature people should be watching wrestling.

#24 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,403 posts

Posted October 12, 2010 - 08:31 PM

I used to love wrestling, slipped out of it when I was around 14 or 15.

I ran into a huge fan (and an old friend of mine) that actually had a wrestling ring that his dad built in the backyard (yeah, they are rich). I joked about how you don't have to be athletic to be a successful wrestler, and so he told me to get into the ring and to let him powerbomb me.

I didn't get up for a full minute, at least. Not only did it knock the wind out of me, it also felt like I broke my back.

You can whine about it all you want, but you'd be whining once you get in there and perform like those athletes do. Fake? Nah. It's scripted. Two different things. The wrestling moves, and the impact felt, is not fake...and my friend made me look like a complete idiot when I made fun of it, and I consider myself pretty athletic.

I haven't watched wrestling in years (probably 10+ years), but I'll say this much: I think the UFC is fantastic and I watch a lot of fights, but there's no way in hell you'd see Anderson Silva jump off the top of a 20-foot cage and land on a table.

The sad part is, almost every wrestler can more than likely kick your [expletive], all of them make more money than you do, almost all of them get more girls, all of them are more well-known, and yet you're saying that only children and immature people should be watching wrestling.

I never thought of it being scripted, but that makes more sense. It's funny because people do say nothing about wrestling is real, but the truth is, look at some of the more extreme videos of wrestling and there is no way you can fake it.

Here is one of my favorite matches of all time (anyone who says they have the balls to do this or that this is fake is lying):

Edited by Westcoast21, October 12, 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#25 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 973 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born

Posted October 12, 2010 - 08:50 PM

They're not watching the men.... :whistle:

#26 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,812 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted October 12, 2010 - 09:08 PM

I don't think anyone really takes wrestling seriously at all. I think everyone (other than children) knows that it's all scripted. The impact they feel from those falls and slams and everything is real, but the whole thing is scripted. Not a big deal though, people just watch it for entertainment, same as what people do with reality TV.

On a side note, I loved wrestling back in the 90s, stopped watching like in '06 or so b/c it was getting waaaaaaay boring.

#27 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 12, 2010 - 09:47 PM

I will definitely agree that the impact that they get is obviously real, and that it is scripted. Do these guys have more money and women than me? Sure. But the same goes for anyone else on this thread including you, Real Deal (and probably 98% of fans, in general). That's not what I was arguing.

You're not going to change my mind, just like I'm not going to change the mind of anyone who loves wrestling. I happen to like sports where people actually have real stakes and compete to win for something. If you like it, who am I to say you shouldn't watch it, but I have no problem stating my opinion on it.

Edited by leor_77, October 12, 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#28 ML21

ML21

Laker Fanatic est 8/15/1990

• 278 posts
  • Name:Matthew
  • Fan Since:Birth 1990
  • Fav. Laker:Eddie Jones,Shaq,Kobe,D-Fish

Posted October 12, 2010 - 11:04 PM

Nobody is saying you shouldn't but what I don't like is how people some people and Im not refering to the forms but outside the forms, can Judge people for watching something that they find entertaining on TV. Some people take it seriously and Im all for that but Im like you I now watch sports where you compete for a win instead of it being on a script but I do have respect for those Wrestlers who go out there and put their body on the line for the fans entertainment because that can be true dedication for your job. It may not be taken seriously by us but to them they take it very seriously and so do some of its fans
Posted Image

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted October 13, 2010 - 01:09 AM

Do these guys have more money and women than me? Sure. But the same goes for anyone else on this thread including you, Real Deal (and probably 98% of fans, in general). That's not what I was arguing.

That comment I made was to prove just how popular it still is, how those athletes (I could call them wrestlers, but they are still athletes) attract women, and for the most part, they actually work harder than a lot of football, baseball and basketball players. Wrestling is year-round, no pads, and unlike any sport, the primary focus is to be physical. Scripted, yes, but these guys throw each other around, no pads or helmets, for 365 days a year, some up until they are 60 years old (Flair and Hogan).

Just because of that, the athletes themselves deserve a little more respect.

You're not going to change my mind, just like I'm not going to change the mind of anyone who loves wrestling. I happen to like sports where people actually have real stakes and compete to win for something. If you like it, who am I to say you shouldn't watch it, but I have no problem stating my opinion on it.

That was never an issue, stating your opinion on professional wrestling. The problem was saying that people need to grow up, claiming it's something only children should watch (not sure if you even stated that, but someone did). That's where I decided to step in.

Like I said, I stopped watching wrestling around my freshman year of high school. It wasn't because it was scripted, though, but because a lot of my favorite wrestlers were aging, some retired, one was sent to Japan, and I was consumed with girls, basketball and school. The industry pays these athletes to perform at a high level, and while these guys aren't in unscripted "seasons" to win rings from, they are actually competing throughout their careers to become a top face (or heel) in the federation, which does two things: earns them title shots and pays them bigger bucks.

They work pretty hard to land correctly (without breaking bones), perform moves, and even work the mic and follow the storylines. They stay in shape, for the most part (because there are a couple that are supposed to be larger than life). They compete for their families, to try and become an icon, Hogan status.

So, in a way, they are competing...but I understand what you're saying.

#30 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,101 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 13, 2010 - 06:14 AM

They're not watching the men.... :whistle:

Posted Image

Pau Gasol is GONE

#31 AndyC

AndyC

TLN UK Representative

• 944 posts
  • Name:Andrew Clark
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Lamar

Posted October 13, 2010 - 06:15 AM

I cnt go on a thread round here without windu posting a hot girl lolool
Phil's last stand will be his greatest of all !
@andrewc316

#32 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,101 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 13, 2010 - 06:20 AM

I cnt go on a thread round here without windu posting a hot girl lolool

sucks, doesn't it?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#33 AndyC

AndyC

TLN UK Representative

• 944 posts
  • Name:Andrew Clark
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Lamar

Posted October 13, 2010 - 06:29 AM

sucks, doesn't it?

Not at all, keep posting !!! lol
Phil's last stand will be his greatest of all !
@andrewc316

#34 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,761 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted October 13, 2010 - 07:47 AM

it should be for kids and parents who take their kids to watch but if you're grown you shouldn't be watching it

How about you stop trying to dictate what other people do with their lives and do something with your own? Jesus christ...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#35 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,472 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted October 14, 2010 - 09:34 AM

The things people let affect them.....

2hf753r.jpg

#36 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 14, 2010 - 04:04 PM

That was never an issue, stating your opinion on professional wrestling. The problem was saying that people need to grow up, claiming it's something only children should watch (not sure if you even stated that, but someone did). That's where I decided to step in.

I actually KNOW that I never said that anyone who watches it has to grow up, and that only children watch wrestling. What I did say, however, is that it's a little bit silly how some fans get all caught up in these story lines and can legitimately hate a certain wrestler that "betrays" or lands a "cheap shot" on their favorite wrestler, when it is all fictional.

I guess it's just one of those cases where we all have to agree to disagree

Edited by leor_77, October 14, 2010 - 04:06 PM.

#37 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted October 14, 2010 - 05:12 PM

Lol, is that your way of admitting you were wrong?

You came into this thread saying people would be stupid to defend it, or say it's real, and that people assume it's a sport, when NO ONE said anything to that effect.

Sports Entertainment. Yes, everything on tv is entertainment, people can watch WWE if they feel. I personally think it's cheesy as hell these days, haven't watched really since 04 or so.

#38 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,403 posts

Posted October 14, 2010 - 07:11 PM

I actually KNOW that I never said that anyone who watches it has to grow up, and that only children watch wrestling. What I did say, however, is that it's a little bit silly how some fans get all caught up in these story lines and can legitimately hate a certain wrestler that "betrays" or lands a "cheap shot" on their favorite wrestler, when it is all fictional.

I guess it's just one of those cases where we all have to agree to disagree

I have a friend who is a closest WWE fan. It irks me to no end.. I can't believe it hasn't been cancelled. People need to wake up and grow the hell up.

Edited by Westcoast21, October 14, 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#39 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted October 14, 2010 - 10:43 PM

Sports Entertainment.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#40 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 - 11:15 AM

Lol, is that your way of admitting you were wrong?

You came into this thread saying people would be stupid to defend it, or say it's real, and that people assume it's a sport, when NO ONE said anything to that effect.

Sports Entertainment. Yes, everything on tv is entertainment, people can watch WWE if they feel. I personally think it's cheesy as hell these days, haven't watched really since 04 or so.

You're really trying to analyze this too deeply. Looks like you have too much free time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users