Photo

Mavs Players Wanted Out If Avery Johnson Stayed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,530 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted September 30, 2008 - 04:04 PM

Posted Image

Mark Cuban said multiple players told him they wanted to be traded if Avery Johnson returned as coach this season.

The Mavericks owner revealed the gravity of the rift between Johnson and his players at Monday's media day when asked how he came to the conclusion that he needed to fire Johnson.

"I knew after I had so many people asking to be traded," Cuban said. "I mean, I had to deal with either the players and moving them or the coach and moving him."

Cuban said these sentiments were relayed to him by the players or their agents over the course of last season. After each complaint Cuban would assure the players that he and Donnie Nelson, the team's president of basketball operations, would work with Johnson in an effort to smooth things over.

Cuban said the players did not speak in generalities. They told him they didn't want to come back if Johnson was still the coach.

"As you started looking deeper and deeper and deeper into things, we didn't have a choice," Cuban said. "I didn't want to fire him. That wasn't my goal."

When asked if more than five players requested a trade, Cuban said yes. More than seven?

"Close," Cuban said.

Still, is it too simplistic to suggest that everything will be different now that a coaching change has been made?

"Everything will be different," Cuban said. "I mean, it's not too simplistic at all. That's why we made the change.

"If we didn't think it would be significantly different, we would not have made the change."

http://www.dallasnew...fs.19d9897.html

#2 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted September 30, 2008 - 05:10 PM

Dictatorship....

He's still not hired right? Analyst ftw?

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:46 PM

The transition of no discipline from Nelson's system to having to play with discipline and defense under Avery bugged most of them I'm sure.

#4 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 11:38 PM

avery only had a no defense team playing top 5 level defense in his first year oh yeah and in the finals

what a terrible coach

god forbid a coach demand discipline, hard work, and toughness from the prima donnas mark cuban has created with his nurturing of his players
Posted Image

#5 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,530 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 01, 2008 - 12:15 AM

If Josh Howard is one of those guys that wanted out, I think this is the reason why.

#6 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted October 01, 2008 - 12:32 AM

If Josh Howard is one of those guys that wanted out, I think this is the reason why.

Ouch. Im guessing it's

Howard
Nowitzki
Terry
Dampier
Stackhouse
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users