#162 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:15 AM

The Expanded Universe as you know it, though approved by George Lucas, has time and time again been disspelled by Lucas and those close to him as not canon to the universe of Star Wars.

Be prepared, this new trilogy is going to be the canon and more than likely will violate a lot of what some know.

#163 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,127 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:29 AM

Expanded Universe is what all the mythos in every video game is based off of including the one that currently exists.

So that will always be the Universe to me lol :D

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#164 fido

fido

• 11,883 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:50 AM

I'm the opposite.

The games, novels and comics are fun, but they start and end with the films.  That's what they are initially about and that's way it should be.

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 01:10 AM

Amazing Lost 'Star Wars' Blooper Reel Surfaces

There is no sound on the first few clips - this isnt an error - original sound wasn't present. Star Wars Blooper Reel with previously un-seen outtakes.

Absent from any of the DVD or Bluray releases, this video is an excerpt from the book "The Making of Star Wars (Enhanced Edition) " by J.W Rinzler - available here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DQQSD2W

The book has been re-released as a digital Ebook, and enhanced to include rare videos and audio excerpts newly discovered from the Lucasfilm archives. In my opinion the new digital edition of the book is worth every penny to the Star Wars fan looking for a rare glimpse behind the scenes of the films they love like myself.

Please buy the book if you enjoyed the video for a lot more rare & unseen material. Also available are both digital & print versions - "The Making of the Empire Strikes Back", & "The Making of Return of the Jedi".

yo.

#166 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 29, 2013 - 06:21 AM

George Lucas retains ultimate creative control over the Star Wars universe.

If George Lucas didn't want anything outside of the films, then it wouldn't exist.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#167 fido

fido

• 11,883 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Correct they do exist.

Yet again, he has said several times that the only things that are canon are the films and the TV shows, that's it.

I know it bums a lot of EU fans out, but he has said it several times.

#168 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,553 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted November 01, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Fido is right the movies reing supreme in the canon department. Episode VII will pick a line and from then on will be canon
So anything that contradicts the next movie will be retconned to oblivion.
We will got an old luke, han and leia so... Probably vushan vong war(spelling) never happened???

For me luke balanced the force, he "eliminated" the sith and the jedi were gone for a time, neither light or dark side

Edited by flota, November 01, 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#169 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Anakin Skywalker brought balance to the force...not Luke Skywalker.

But anyway, back to this issue of canon...

The Star Wars canon was first defined in a 1994 interview with Lucas Licensing's Sue Rostoni and Allan Kausch in issue #23 of the Star Wars Insider:.

Gospel, or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelizations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history—with many off-shoots, variations and tangents—like any other well-developed mythology.

This policy has been further refined and fleshed out over the years. The official Star Wars website has also detailed the role of canon, Expanded Universe, or "EU" sources, and how they fit into overall Star Wars continuity. In a 2001 "Ask the Jedi Council" response by Steve Sansweet (director of fan relations) and Chris Cerasi (an editor for Lucas Books at the time), it was stated that:

When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves—and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies.

The further one branches away from the movies, the more interpretation and speculation come into play. LucasBooks works diligently to keep the continuing Star Wars expanded universe cohesive and uniform, but stylistically, there is always room for variation. Not all artists draw Luke Skywalker the same way. Not all writers define the character in the same fashion. The particular attributes of individual media also come into play. A comic book interpretation of an event will likely have less dialogue or different pacing than a novel version. A video game has to take an interactive approach that favors gameplay. So too must card androleplaying games ascribe certain characteristics to characters and events in order to make them playable.

The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them.

Directly from the horse's mouth (Lucas)...

Part of the job of the director is to sort of keep everything in line, and I can do that in the movies—but I can't do it on the whole Star Wars universe.

There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe.

August 2005 interview in Starlog magazine:

STARLOG: "The Star Wars Universe is so large and diverse. Do you ever find yourself confused by the subsidiary material that's in the novels, comics, and other offshoots?"

LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

Lucas' statements in Starlog were commented on in a December 7, 2005 post on the starwars.com forums by Leland Chee, who maintains Lucas Licensing's continuity database:

>>

CHEE: "GL is certainly not bound by the EU, though he's certainly open to using things created in it (Aayla Secura and the Coruscant name, for example). On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George's vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films.

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Warsstory is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

Like I mentioned before, the "canon chart"...

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

Lucas said everything was done after Episode VI...really? Then why are there more movies being released? In other words, Lucas changes his mind just like everyone else.

Author Timothy Zahn, whose Star Wars novel series, the Thrawn Trilogy, is set in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, was also interviewed in 2012. Zahn confirmed the sequel trilogy would not be based on the Thrawn novels, but said he had been briefed years before on Lucas's plans for the sequels (Zahn had discussions with Lucas before the first Thrawn novel was published in 1991). Zahn said, "The original idea as I understood it—and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he’s thinking right now—but it was going to be three generations. You’d have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke’s father and find out what happened to him, and if there was another 7th, 8th or 9th film, it would be Luke’s children."

Edited by Windu, November 01, 2013 - 10:46 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#170 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,300 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Of course it was Anakin, destroyed the Jedi in ROTS and the Sith in ROTJ.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#171 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,335 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm not a star wars fan but I'm 100% sure it was anakin who was destined to bring balance to the force

And it was anakin who threw the emperor off of the railing to do just that
Posted Image

#172 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,872 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:08 AM

When it comes to the star wars universe I like to follow the old republic, bane trilogy etc. I highly doubt they will ever reference or make movies of that time so I think its ok to say thats cannon. 

#173 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:26 AM

Bane is definitely an interesting character

Pau Gasol is GONE

#174 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,769 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted November 06, 2013 - 06:17 AM

All of those quotes just go in line with what fido was saying: the EU is a fun addition to the Star Wars franchise & George's wallet but the films are the ultimate canon...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#175 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 08:01 AM

It's splitting hairs.

They take canon and add to it...ABSOLUTE.

I know there are some complainers who wish the prequels weren't ABSOLUTE CANON

G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction

Pau Gasol is GONE

#176 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,553 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted November 06, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Everything in the movies is canon<br />You like it or not. <br />The old Republic period is more interesting than what the movies show
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#177 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,769 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted November 06, 2013 - 03:59 PM

The Old Republic or something like that would have been a better idea for the prequel trilogy rather than the crap that George came up with...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#178 fido

fido

• 11,883 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 09:37 PM

The best thing to do would to never do prequels at all.

You can't get emotionally invested in characters or story when you know the outcome of everything and the fate of everyone.  That's the underlying faulty in any prequel.  It was the quick and easy thing to do, that's why they were done.  And we all saw the result, vapid, empty movies devoid of any soul, feeling or connection with the story or characters involved.

Anyway, that's why I'm excited about sequels.  They will be new stories based on nothing known and anything can happen.  The excitement will be back simply for that alone.

#179 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,872 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Bane is definitely an interesting character

He is by far my favorite character in the star wars universe. The whole rule of 2 concept was really interesting. You know its a great book when they have you rooting for such an evil and demented person. 

#180 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,872 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:21 PM

The best thing to do would to never do prequels at all.

You can't get emotionally invested in characters or story when you know the outcome of everything and the fate of everyone.  That's the underlying faulty in any prequel.  It was the quick and easy thing to do, that's why they were done.  And we all saw the result, vapid, empty movies devoid of any soul, feeling or connection with the story or characters involved.

Anyway, that's why I'm excited about sequels.  They will be new stories based on nothing known and anything can happen.  The excitement will be back simply for that alone.

The funny thing is I was only like 7 and 10 when episode 1 and 2 came out so I was totally oblivious to the fact that Anikan was darth vader. I guess it was hard for me to think that, that little kid could become darth vader even though I had to have seen the originals like 30 times each. I got so much [expletive] from my brother when he explained it to me haha. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users